NEurope
jayseven

N-E Culture Club - Lost In Translation 11th Jan

So how exactly would this work? A movie a week and a book per month, right? Sounds intriguing, we just watch/read(i just like the idea of actually having to seek out a book/movie, might encourage some good movie nights!) said movie/book within specified time period, then we discuss it in this thread? Once signing up, we PM you our 1st and 2nd choice movie/books and eventually they get chosen?

How long will the period of discussion be, and...what happens when movie/book overlaps? Though that's just made me think of an awesome plan to sometimes do a movie of a book, at the same time as the book!

(As you can probably tell, I've never done anything book nor movie clubby before :red:)

Fair enough if you want an elitist group, but then I'll pass on it. It seems so "binding", and I'd not want to feel bound by anything I'm not sure I have the time to participate in.

Watcheread on, if you're game.

Book List

Read for January 1st: Charlie's Choice - The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

Cube's Choice - Prey - Michael Crichton

jayseven's choice - The Timetraveller's Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

Mundi's Choice - "Do androids dream of electric sheep" - Phillip K. Dick (short story, innit?)

Chris The Great's Choice - What's Eating Gilbert Grape? Peter Hedges

Cube's Choice - Jurassic Park - Michael Crichton

jayseven's Choice - A Thousand Years of Solitude - Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Chris The Great - Wolf of the Plains - Conn Iggulden

Movie List

Watch for Sunday 7th Dec: Cube's Choice - Slither (2006)

Ellmeister's Choice - American Beuty

jayseven's Choice - Waking Life

Mundi's Choice - The Fifth Element

Chris The Great's Choice - Leon

Cube's Choice - Waitress (2007)

Ellmeister's Choice - The Prestige

jayseven's Choice - Koyanisqaatsi

Chris the Great's Choice - The Nightmare Before Christmas

I'd probably be able to do both, although not sure entirely on the book front how easily it'll be for me to obtain them. Anyways, I'll send a PM for my choices of books and movies.

I'll be at my Mum/Step Dad's house over Christmas/New Year.

It just so happens that my Step Dad has a load of Ken Follet books. I'm fairly sure I've seen The Pillars of the Earth somewhere.

For those thinking of books: If you trust PlayTrade (i.e. random people) then there's usually plenty of cheap second hand (£1-£5 with free delivery) copies available from there.

Wow, Im liking the look of those tow lists. Count me in for both, I'll pm you choice in a min

EDIT: We've talked about the film before but, Jayseven, I love you for putting Waking Life in

Supergrunch's book choices are added.

To be fair, the internet is a lazy place and I doubt many people will do this properly- I'm really hoping that at least two or three people get into it though. It can be really rewarding to talk in-depth about a book you've all read.

Check out Booksprice.co.uk for price comparisons. Waterstones has The Pillars of The Earth for a fiver. Libraries have them free.

Personally, I may well ask for a bunch of these for xmas just for the hell of it. I've read all but two of the books already, anyway :P

Good pointer, Cube :) I'll stick the links in the firstpostthatnobodywilleverreadagain:P

Jay I got the title wrong, it´s androids not robots.

It´s about 240 pages so I wouldn´t really say it is a short story.

Hope people are looking forward to reading 'An Unquiet Mind.' Absolutely fantastic book. Very powerful and moving. Probably one of the greatest books I've read. Same goes for 'Heart of Darkness.' Looking forward to reading the others. Don't get much time to read and don't really know what to read when I do have the time. So hopefully this'll be helpful.

The movies list looks a bit wavy at the moment but I'll reserve final judgement until I've seen them (except for The Fifth Element which I've seen a few times).

Sounds great. I can come up with a suggestion or two if I could be bothered getting my thinking cap on.

Anyway, had a little look in on The Pillars of the Earth. Nearly 1000 pages over the Christmas holidays seems pretty hefty, not sure how many will read it in time, but I'll do my best.

Word on the street is that the first book on the list is 1000 words long... I'm going to shuffle the list a little as I think that's a large commitment to ask of y'all on the first go.

'few more books/movies have been added. Mundi's choice has been upped to first read. Mostly because I want to read it.

Can i be in this? I havent read a good book in years! and would love to read more! This could what i need to get me going :)

Can i suggest Catch 22 - Joseph Heller

and

Clerks

good choice with catch 22. one of the great works of the 20th century.

watermark raised, people. Keep up.

Catch 22 is my favourite book in the world! i have a copy given to me by my father which hes had since 1969 :)

Clerks

That reminds me. Can we just skip weeks if it's a film we've seen before and really hate it?