NEurope
MoogleViper

Credit Cards

I'm thinking of getting a credit card for the extra security. But also earning a bit of cashback would be nice as well.

I'm not one of those people that will spend more than they have, so that's not a worry. But I am quite forgetful, so paying by direct debit would be the best option.

I'm thinking of an egg money card thingy. Which offers 1% cashback.

Do you guys know of any other credit card deals? Got any advice?

Here's some advice: avoid them like you would avoid an AIDs infected hooker who used to be a man.

Here's some advice: avoid them like you would avoid an AIDs infected hooker who used to be a man.

Why? If you are sensible enough there shouldn't be an issue. I have 4 credit cards and i've never overspent or had any problems.

Why? Wassup with a debit?

I did post about this like a few weeks ago but I cant be bothered finding it. Basically you can't recover any fraudulent activity. (whereas with a CC the company sorts it and pays you back nearly instantly)

We all say oh it will never happen etc. But one day you'll regret it when it does.

*sigh*

I did post about this like a few weeks ago but I cant be bothered finding it. Basically you can't recover any fraudulent activity. (whereas with a CC the company sorts it and pays you back nearly instantly)

We all say oh it will never happen etc. But one day you'll regret it when it does.

It'll never happen...

Ok then it might happen. To be honest i'd rather risk it.

Check you bank's website on the debit card section. Some of them do the same protection for debit cards and credit cards.

Check you bank's website on the debit card section. Some of them do the same protection for debit cards and credit cards.

I feared I would have to repeat myself :heh:

My friend had two accounts of fraudulent activity on her debit account. (both were mobile phone companies.)

She hasn't seen a penny of it back and probably never will. Its been reported to the police and the bank she's with will do shit all to help her, or give her the money. (abbey national)

My friend had two accounts of fraudulent activity on her debit account. (both were mobile phone companies.)

She hasn't seen a penny of it back and probably never will. Its been reported to the police and the bank she's with will do shit all to help her, or give her the money. (abbey national)

A suggestion for your friend. Change banks. From the sounds of this, Abbey don't care about their customers if they won't help after false activity with the card.

I'm happy taking risks with my debit card (HSBC is who i bank with). They offer protection on my debit card, and they did so with my parents card as well.

I'm happy taking risks with my debit card (HSBC is who i bank with). They offer protection on my debit card, and they did so with my parents card as well.

I'm quite sure Barclays offer some form of online protection on debit cards too.

If your just going to be using it, to go shopping online, you might want to try a 3v card. sorry that I cant give you a link, But I don't have the 15 posts I need to post URLS to other sites. Just google it(or what ever search engine you use)

Mr.A

Here is a tip for you (as much as I HATE CC's - I'm in a fair amount of debt because of them combined with uni):

Go to money supermarket find what you want, apply for it. When they send you the form to sign and send back, throw it away, a week later they will send you another letter offering you a better deal.

I had a credit card while I was working in my year out. Extra security for things bought online, built up good credit history. Nothing wrong with them. My advice would to just go with your own bank's choice.

I didn't take my credit card to uni though, no point in that.

LOL...

I remember when I was like this, turned 18, about to hit uni, all these outrageous student account and CC combo deals... No wonder why banks are so fucked up now. Who in the world would give an ignorant 18 year old a £1500 overdraft with a £500 credit card? I think we need some form of mandatory credit lessons at school, because I'd say about 90% don't know what their getting into and just see free money, particularly where an overdraft is concerned. The amount of friends I have who, even when they get their salary are still in overdraft - and don't realise that that constant overdrafting is decimating their credit history.

God how I wish I could turn back time... I'm only now getting settled credit-wise with my HSBC Debit out of overdraft, HSBC CC balance cleared and my Capital One. And I've lost hordes of money going to fees and such.

If you're working, my advice would be to get a simple pay-as-you go credit card if you just want to buy stuff online, Virgin is good as you just pay a £10 fee no monthly. Don't get dragged into the realm of CC late payments and stuff, right now paying in something like £20 a month seems convenient and stuff... But you'll probably say that to other stuff and then it all mounts up. Trust me. If you just want to build credit then either get a creditbuilder pay as you go card or get a cc with a really low amount like £100 and steadily pay everything on time and wait for them to offer you increases, showing that you're credit is getting positive.

Credit cards are bitches, theres no need for them and its a stupid idea. I just stick with my bank Maestro card and use my own money. BORROWING IS NOT GOOD!

Credit Cards is the cause for global warming, the recession and the poverty of the 3rd world.

I kid you not :heh:

LOL...

I remember when I was like this, turned 18, about to hit uni, all these outrageous student account and CC combo deals... No wonder why banks are so fucked up now. Who in the world would give an ignorant 18 year old a £1500 overdraft with a £500 credit card? I think we need some form of mandatory credit lessons at school, because I'd say about 90% don't know what their getting into and just see free money, particularly where an overdraft is concerned.

I agree on this bit I know a few people my age that think that over drafting is just money you are going to have later.

In the 10th grade we just had a financial consultant talk to us for about an hour and that was the only thing we tought talked about financially.

But the amount of time spend talking to us about drugs and alcohol was just ridiculous.

Yeah sure because that´s the only thing you can fuck your life with :indeed:

you have to be really sensible with a credit card, never give in to temptation and spend money you aren't absolutely sure you'll have by the time the bill is due.

People automatically think they're stupid, because a lot of stupid people have them and screw it up. I don't have one but I can see how, in a financially secure situation, they would be benificial. Say you spot a really awesome TV in a great deal. It's £700, which you don't have, but you will in 2 weeks when you get paid. You'll get cash back and you're in, say, the first 6 months of a nice deal which gives you 0% interest for paying back. You can afford to wait 2 months and pay it off gradually, without the need for any rip-off repayment plans.

you have to be really sensible with a credit card, never give in to temptation and spend money you aren't absolutely sure you'll have by the time the bill is due.

People automatically think they're stupid, because a lot of stupid people have them and screw it up. I don't have one but I can see how, in a financially secure situation, they would be benificial. Say you spot a really awesome TV in a great deal. It's £700, which you don't have, but you will in 2 weeks when you get paid. You'll get cash back and you're in, say, the first 6 months of a nice deal which gives you 0% interest for paying back. You can afford to wait 2 months and pay it off gradually, without the need for any rip-off repayment plans.

...Thats like having a naked woman in your bed and 'not giving into temptation'. I don't think given into temptation has anything to do with intelligence. In theory what you have said is the perfect way to use a CC, but when there is money people are allured to spend it. So that person buying that TV might be suckered in to buy, lets say, a complimentary Home Theatre kit of the same brand simply because the money "is there".

But for 18 year olds... Come on!

Just don't borrow at all IMO and there will be Nps.

When you get it ring the bank up and make sure the allowance is a bit less then your monthly incomings. And have the bill due the day after you get paid, that way even if you go a bit spend happy you can always pay it off. No problems then.

Here is a tip for you (as much as I HATE CC's - I'm in a fair amount of debt because of them combined with uni):

Go to money supermarket find what you want, apply for it. When they send you the form to sign and send back, throw it away, a week later they will send you another letter offering you a better deal.

Be careful with thos "best deals" ie low interest rates - you'll find that if you are relatively young you'll get turned down for anything low. I had to settle with a CC of 34.9% o_o until I managed to get my credit score up. Its the same with anyone, and ESPECIALLY these days with people being tighter about who they give to.

I had to wait til I was 22 before I managed to get my best card, its 15.9%.

But then if you have no intentions of letting the money go over onto the next month it has no relevance whatsoever (ie you don't get charged interest if you pay your bill in full)

Once you get rejected for a card once it stays on your credit score for 6 months, and quite a few credit companies will ask if youve been rejected in the last 6 months.

May not apply, but just worth a thought :smile:

and regarding my friend, I suggested to her to move banks, but for some reason she didn't want to make the effort. and she's a bit thick tbf. lol

That says is all....Abbey are well known for not giving a shit when it comes to fraud.

Most other banks do help you out. Just search money supermarket and you'll see a lot of people moaning about abbey but yet praising other banks when things like this happen.

All this talk of having one being bad becuase you could spend too much is BS. If you haven't got the willpower or common sense to stay with in your own means then it's your own stupidity. Not a piece of plastic.

I'm thinking of getting a credit card for the extra security. But also earning a bit of cashback would be nice as well.

I'm not one of those people that will spend more than they have, so that's not a worry. But I am quite forgetful, so paying by direct debit would be the best option.

I'm thinking of an egg money card thingy. Which offers 1% cashback.

Do you guys know of any other credit card deals? Got any advice?

I have an Egg Money card and it is great.

Good things: A positive balance accrues interest (4%) and there is no charge for taking cash out of a cash point with it (except higher interest), 1% cashback is decent if you spend a lot on it - I spend on it then move money over from my bank account immediately to cover the amount spent, and finally, the interest rate is much lower than most other cards (12.9%).

Bad things: no special introductory rate stuff (that I know of).

My dear fellow, and fellowesses, and all N-Europers. If there is one man I would recommend when it comes to anything money related, it is Martin Lewis, the so-called money saving expert. The site is full of handy little moneysaving things, advice, best deals, and the newsletter keeps you up to date with the latest moneysaving tips and whatnot. Anyway, I urge you all to check it out, but especially for Moogle the second link is to the best credit cards section.

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/cards/