Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

meeting people from the interwebs

Guest bluey

perfectly safe, or risky and reckless?  

35 members have voted

1. 1. perfectly safe, or risky and reckless?

• yeah it's safe ~ no problem!!
    • NOOO dont do it bluey! we love you too much!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people get too paranoid these days about this sort of thing. Most parents will still see meeting people online as a bad thing, since what they think is usually really distorted by the media and stuff. But the average person probably has or would meet someone they met online.

I think you'll be pretty safe in a public place, if you're still worried though, just bring a friend or something.

As people have said I think it's fairly safe if it's in a public area and you're comfortable with it.

---

This is completely different but quite funny. When I was about 14-15 I met up with a guy I'd be chatting to on MSN for a long time. He wasn't a total random, he knew a friend of mine, but I'd never met him. We went to the cinema and he did the classic 'Yawn... stretch...put arm around', I had to look away from grinning, it just felt completely wrong. He came out with some classic one liners that could have come from 'How NOT to charm a lady' such as... ''You've got cold hands, my exgirlfriend had cold hands and she was a bitch''. And then he kissed me by just sort of pushing his lips towards my general face area. God, looking back it's hilarious. A few days later he emailed me saying he wanted to 'pop my cherry'. It's weird, he wasn't like that before I met him. Anywho, I never spoke to him again. Haha, my excuse is that I was young and naive.

As people have said I think it's fairly safe if it's in a public area and you're comfortable with it.

---

This is completely different but quite funny. When I was about 14-15 I met up with a guy I'd be chatting to on MSN for a long time. He wasn't a total random, he knew a friend of mine, but I'd never met him. We went to the cinema and he did the classic 'Yawn... stretch...put arm around', I had to look away from grinning, it just felt completely wrong. He came out with some classic one liners that could have come from 'How NOT to charm a lady' such as... ''You've got cold hands, my exgirlfriend had cold hands and she was a bitch''. And then he kissed me by just sort of pushing his lips towards my general face area. God, looking back it's hilarious. A few days later he emailed me saying he wanted to 'pop my cherry'. It's weird, he wasn't like that before I met him. Anywho, I never spoke to him again. Haha, my excuse is that I was young and naive.

But MAN!!! That situation could have turned O so differently. Yes, rape comes to mind. Sure, you're riding on the benefit he was a mate of a mate but a random might'nt be so civil.

But MAN!!! That situation could have turned O so differently. Yes, rape comes to mind. Sure, you're riding on the benefit he was a mate of a mate but a random might'nt be so civil.

Well...yeah. I wouldn't have done it with a random. I totally agree though, it was pretty stupid. I was rebelling against anything I could at that time though.

Its not really stupid, well i dont think so anyway.

You went to a public place, and you made your mind up not to see

him again.

Thanks :) But I meant stupid in the sense that I was quite young and no matter how much I liked him from chatting on the net, I didn't really know the person I was letting kiss me etc. It's just something I wouldn't do now.

Bluey that's a very kind thing for you to do! ^__^ I hope that if I go to a country i'm not used to, I find someone nice like you :heh: As long as you stay safe you'll be fine

I've met quite a few people online, N-E meet, the ballymena N-E folk, as well as soag!

I took a bit of a risk meeting soag - went up to Belfast by myself, but I was in public, and he was nothing less than a gentleman =)

Never met anyone online but have been invited to a bloke's wedding I know from Xbox Live. So that will be my first time

I've "known" him for about 2 years now and we have a good chat whenever we're on. Because we actually talk and not type like you would on msn/facebook/n-europe etc, then it feels like I know him better than I would if you were chatting through text.

Weird though is the fact that I have no idea what he looks like, yet I still consider him as one of my friends.

No offence to anyone here as I'm sure you're all swell folk and all, but I don't think I would meet anyone on n-e, mainly because, with the exception of Dan Dare briefly on XBL, I've never actually spoken to any of you, and that makes a big difference IMO

Only really chatted to Haden from here and never really met anyone from the interwebs other than couch-surfers who were nearly always cracking guys and girls. Always fancied an NE meet though, and I am living down near London now and not working so it's more possible. I once got sent a present of a CD through the post from a Japanese girl though and almost met up with some guys from a forum at Glastonbury years ago. Can't anything wrong with it really, very few people are complete maniacs.

What you want is a massive Lan Gathering, I have been to quite a few one Counter-Strike server has, it was awesome. Weird to begin with as I didn't really know them much, but the b33r helped [was above a pub] and the weekend was well spent.

LAN Parties are nerdy as fuck but also awesome as fuck, drinking booze, playing LAN games, talking about nerdy shit = winrar

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!