NEurope

Im glad to see others are interested in this title.

I was up til half 12 slicing and dicing in the kitchens and I finally unlocked all the resteraunts. I have to try scrape enough money to buy all of my new and improved equipment and then get the last place up to 5 stars. I will probably have it finished today :(

Wiifolder did a really good 25 minute 'Video tour' of Order up a few months ago. I was looking to pick this game up sooner or later, because it looked pretty decent from the video. Here's the link if anyone wants to watch it:

http://www.wipido.com/video/Y4Bocth2pq9w

Edit- thanks for the replys about the gamecube cover and stand. I take it emasher you are talking about the US store? I couldnt find it on the NOE site.

With Animal Crossing only taking up a couple hours a day I have decided to start playing through some of the games I picked up recently. I wanted to to play something fun and light hearted so I started Order Up! I will post my impressions in here as it would be pointless starting a topic as there would probably just be me in it.

order.jpg

For those of your who dont know about the game or havent even heard of it ( I imagine thats a few of you ) Order Up! is a cooking game. Now before you all go running for the hills let me explain what you do in the game.

You start the game as a chef looking for a job and you get hired by a burger company a bit like Mcdonalds. This serves as a tutorial of the basic moves and actions you will be perforimg with the wiimote in the game. The guy teaching you is alot like that spotty kid off the Simpsons who works in Krusty Burger, he even sounds a little like him :)

Once you have done the training you realise you are getting paid pennies so you go out to look for your own business. Luckly for you a diner is for sale so you quickly snap it up. This little scene is done via cutscene with some basic but very charming graphics.

Now that you have your own place the main objective is to get a good reputation for your resteraunt and get it from a 1 star establishment to a 5 star one. So how do you go about doing that then? You do this by cleaning up your kitchen, buying new recipes, cooking equipment, special meals and eventually impressing the food critics by cooking them a meal. All of that comes at a price though so you have to start scraping some cash together.

To make money you have to cook meals for people who come into your diner but its not a simple make a meal and then another one, there are many factors you have to consider.

Say you get 2 people coming into your diner, the waitress will take their order and then place the tickets next to your cooker. You click on each ticket to see what they want and then you can go about cooking it. Each of the meals is broken into sections so say you need to make a sandwich for someone you will have to butter the bread, then slice the tomato and grate the cheese. Now while you are doing this your customers are waiting and are getting impatient and this is where things get hectic and the game really comes to life.

As the game progress and starts to get harder you have to learn to multitask. So again say you have 2 orders, one a sandwich another a burger and fries, you can start by putting the fries in the fryer as they take a while to cook. Then you can put a burger on the grill, again this takes a while to do and meanwhile as they are cooking away you can butter the bread for the sandwich etc. This will help you make the meals quicker which will net you more customers. Oh and dont think you can take it one meal at a time either.

You see when you finish a meal a bar appears above it as it sits on the counter and this is to indicate the temperature of the meal. If you finish a meal and place it on the counter you can then press the bell to signal the waitress to come and collect the goods for the customer but when you have 2 meals or more being cooked you must have all the orders ready before the waitress will pick it up! If you finish one meal you better get a move on to finish the 2nd because as the temperature lowers so does your tips percentage!

If this all seems a little too much then fear not as you can hire some help! Thats right this isnt a solo effort because as you get together more cash you can then hire some help. Now dont just hire the first person you see, what you need to do is look at where your working and then look for someone who has the relevant skill set that will net you some perfect results.

As I said earlier you start in the diner which cooks alot of fries and grills alot of burgers. What you need to do is look for help that has these skills so that everytime you use them for your tasks then will net you a PERFECT rather than just a GOOD result. Getting perfects will quickly fill up your tips jar help you buy bigger and better equipment for your kitchen. There are however other ways to get a further bonus when it comes to cash...

As you progress through the game the market will open up for you. Here you can buy spices off a Mr Miyagi style character and these will enhance you meals and flavours so that when used correctly will give a nice bonus for each meal they are used on. Another stall opens up and it is owned by a guy who wouldnt look out of place in the horror movie. He sells special dish recipes which cost alot but will bring the cash flying back to you once you start cooking them.

There are some more suprises in store while you are cooking away in your resteraunt and these come in the for of mini games. You may get a visit from the health inspector who makes you wash a certain amount of dishes before he leaves. Your kitchen may get invaded by rats so you have to flick them off the counter before they scares all of the customers away. Using your hired help too much? Then on occasion they will fall asleep and you have to shake the wiimote to wake them up. Finally just when you think you are doing well a kitchen fire may break out and you have a certain amount of time to put it out before the whole place goes up in smoke.

I will briefly mention the controls for this game because if you have played or heard of anyone playing the Cooking Mama game on the Wii then you know how things will work. Need to chop an onion? Then yeah you do a chopping motion, same goes for slicing stiring etc. Unlike Cooking Mama though all of the controls here work fantastic which makes the game even more enjoyable.

So yeah I have been enjoying this to bits today and even though I have only been playing it today im already halfway through it as its such a joy to play. If you are an opened minded game who is up for a laugh *points to the likes of RedShell* then I really recommend picking this up. Its £25 in GAME, £19.99 at HMV or even better just wait to see of it drops in th sales come New Year. Hopefully my little rant will inspire more people to pick up yet another hidden gem on the Wii.

Cheers for that H-o-T! icon14.gif

Will definitely be checking this one out soon.

Just been looking at some vids on YouTube, does indeed look like a great laugh:

I see what you mean about the guy sounding like that character from the Simpsons. :laughing:

All the voice overs sound really good on this actually.

It's great to be able to come on here and read these kind of impressions every so often, the amount of games that would just slip under the radar would be criminal otherwise!

So yeah, thanks again man.

: peace:

Lol, nice find! Was that by the same bloke that did the Tetris one the other day? "BrentalFloss" rings a bell, and thats the only thing I can connect it too.

Lol, nice find! Was that by the same bloke that did the Tetris one the other day? "BrentalFloss" rings a bell, and thats the only thing I can connect it too.

Yeah, its the same guy. I was just watching his Top Underrated NES themes video and noticed the Mario World one.

Yeah.... well done IGN. That's why I don't use their site at all now. Some of the winners of the awards were just ridiculous and while World of Goo is a great game, it definitely doesn't deserve GOTY on the Wii. But then IGN's awards for 2008 have been all over the place. At least they got the DS GOTY right.

Yeah.... well done IGN. That's why I don't use their site at all now. Some of the winners of the awards were just ridiculous and while World of Goo is a great game, it definitely doesn't deserve GOTY on the Wii. But then IGN's awards for 2008 have been all over the place. At least they got the DS GOTY right.

They just want hits and to show they're not stuck to the traditional core games.

lol. All that that will get them is less people going to their site and thinking their creditible. It's like giving the 360 GOTY to Fallout 3. Now I haven't played the game but I very much doubt it is GOTY material. Stupid IGN. No wonder I never use them anymore.

I'm not allowed to criticise IGN for a while now, considering they did just send me a brand new Microsoft Sidewinder gaming mouse which I won in the compo...

I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. It's a great litle indie game, why is this a dsgrace?

Also, I'd put Fallout 3 up their for 360 GOTY too! Saying that I've become numb to the 360/PS3, but Fallout was better that GTA4, Gears 2 etc. Though I would actually say braid is the best game on the system!

So GOTY's are Go, braid and LBP for me :)

I don't see what the fuss is about to be honest. It's a great litle indie game, why is this a dsgrace?

Also, I'd put Fallout 3 up their for 360 GOTY too! Saying that I've become numb to the 360/PS3, but Fallout was better that GTA4, Gears 2 etc. Though I would actually say braid is the best game on the system!

So GOTY's are Go, braid and LBP for me :)

What fuss? There's no fuss, the game just isn't GOTY material.

Factor 5 has officially closed their doors

From Matt-IGN on the message boards over at IGN:

Was hoping the rumors weren't true. Contacted Julian over at F5 to shed some light, but he didn't get back to me. Got an e-mail from an inside source tonight:

"Hi Matt,

How have you been? Haven't seen you guys since E3. I hope that you're doing well!

[Edit] wanted me to contact you with some late breaking news. We just learned from inside sources that developer Factor 5 has officially closed their doors as of today. That's some pretty big news considering that those guys have been around for quite a while. It's definitely a real shame! I hope that this information is helpful to you. Take care, and please say hi to Bozon for me."

Beh. Not sure what this does to Kid Icarus, either, but it sure doesn't sound good. I'll keep you posted. I'm still holding out some kind of hope there may yet be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Matt.

^ Holy crap. I knew they were in a bit of hot water but wasn't really expecting them to close. Hopefully we'll know more on Monday. Really hope they haven't. But if they have then it would be a fantastic time for someone like Nintendo to step in and buy them because they have done fantastically on Nintendo's consoles with their titles and with them working on Wii titles it'd be ashame to see them go down the drain, especially if one was the rumoured Kid Icarus title but Nintendo won't let them close if they are doing that.

If they were doing Kid Icarus, they'd have Nintendo's backing so it's a little doubtful.

both Factor 5 and Free Radical had;

PS3 only game.

Star Wars connections.

Forced on HD.

Closed on the same week.

Money backing by Sony

^ They both chose to go HD, they weren't forced. They could have just made Wii games in SD. But that's not the point. It's a bloody shame that these companies are going down the drain but what's worse is that they're doing it literally days before Christmas. I mean come on, I'm sure they could have kept them on and pink slipped them in the new year or something. Would still have bee bad but at least they would have to worry about what they're going to do now over the holiday period.

But with both companies gone, it begs the question of what'll happen to the franchises. I can possibly see LucasArt taking up Rogue Squadron but then it probably wouldn't come to the Wii.

Perhaps this means Retro is working on Kid Icarus then. Awful news though. I wonder if Sony decided to cut the funding or something because of their losses?

^ They both chose to go HD, they weren't forced.

No, I'm pretty sure the HD conspiracy chairman held their families hostage and forced them to develop for PS3.

Do DVD Lens Cleaners work for Wii? I might pick up one of the cheap ones from Woolworths.