N-Europe

Suicide

triforce_keeper

I really don't get suicide. Never known anyone who's done it, but seems to me it's never the only way out. So you've been dumped, it hurts but there are other girls. So you've lost your job, big deal there are other jobs. So your a hopeless bum living on the streets at the absolute rock bottom of society, oh well the only way is up. Killing yourself is never going to improve your situation. Having said that though I do often have morbid thoughts when I see a train speeding past a platform of what would happen if I jumped in front. I think that's just twisted curiousity though, I doubt I'd actually do it.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though my life is really good and thoughts about suicide are completely strange to me, I can perfectly understand how they feel. I don't like people who criticise suicides. Yes, it's selfish, but people don't kill themselves over trivial things. Sure, a seemingly trivial thing may be the final straw, but there's obviously a load of psychological issues behind.

My mate had depression diagnosed.

Think in all honesty, I'd be too scared to kill myself, and I wouldn't want to put my family and friends through it. Even if I was suffering.

Yup, thats pretty much my thoughts exactly, i mean, how would you actually think to yourself, "i'm going to kill myself" and think how your gonna do it:(

If I was going to commit suicide I'd do it in a spectacular way. Like over the top of High Angel Falls. But before That I'd do all of the things I wanted to do. Like sky diving, bungee jumping, kicking the shit out of chavs who play shitty music on their shitty phone on the shitty bus etc. Chances are I'd probably not want to commit suicide after that.

If I was going to commit suicide I'd do it in a spectacular way. Like over the top of High Angel Falls. But before That I'd do all of the things I wanted to do. Like sky diving, bungee jumping, kicking the shit out of chavs who play shitty music on their shitty phone on the shitty bus etc. Chances are I'd probably not want to commit suicide after that.

But, depending on the chavs, you might be dead either way.

I really don't get suicide. Never known anyone who's done it, but seems to me it's never the only way out. So you've been dumped, it hurts but there are other girls. So you've lost your job, big deal there are other jobs. So your a hopeless bum living on the streets at the absolute rock bottom of society, oh well the only way is up. Killing yourself is never going to improve your situation. Having said that though I do often have morbid thoughts when I see a train speeding past a platform of what would happen if I jumped in front. I think that's just twisted curiousity though, I doubt I'd actually do it.

You're a rational kind of guy it seems, the problem is when you get feeling like this. It doesn't matter how rational you are, the feeling just isn't a rational one, it runs on twisted reasoning and raw feelings, and no matter how much you try to reason with a person it just doesn't get through, as you can't argue with something that's so irrational. I also understand the idea of just doing something terrible like jumping in front of a train for the sheer fact and curiosity that you shouldn't, but the idea might become more appealing to you if you ever feel suicidal I imagine. It's something you just can't understand until you feel it, I think. When you stop feeling it, you forget it too and can't understand it again.

You're a rational kind of guy it seems, the problem is when you get feeling like this. It doesn't matter how rational you are, the feeling just isn't a rational one, it runs on twisted reasoning and raw feelings, and no matter how much you try to reason with a person it just doesn't get through, as you can't argue with something that's so irrational. I also understand the idea of just doing something terrible like jumping in front of a train for the sheer fact and curiosity that you shouldn't, but the idea might become more appealing to you if you ever feel suicidal I imagine. It's something you just can't understand until you feel it, I think. When you stop feeling it, you forget it too and can't understand it again.

Amen to this post.

Now, seriously, to get this over with: excluding cases in which your life is pretty much restricted no matter what you do (serious illness or disabillity), or when you just feel nothing towards being alive and would rather be dead because you don't really care about "being alive" in general (it's rare, but it happens), suicide mostly happens because people refuse to deal with their own problems and are pretty much running away from their own responsability. Suicide, in most cases, is cowardice, no other name for it. Of course, there are many cases in which I condone and understand it, but for the most part, it's just unwillingness to be responsible for your own mess. Slackers!

Now, seriously, to get this over with: excluding cases in which your life is pretty much restricted no matter what you do (serious illness or disabillity), or when you just feel nothing towards being alive and would rather be dead because you don't really care about "being alive" in general (it's rare, but it happens), suicide mostly happens because people refuse to deal with their own problems and are pretty much running away from their own responsability. Suicide, in most cases, is cowardice, no other name for it. Of course, there are many cases in which I condone and understand it, but for the most part, it's just unwillingness to be responsible for your own mess. Slackers!

Though likely true in some cases, that seems awfully harsh.

if i ever had to kill my self, id jump infront of a tube train and do an awsome pose just before i splattered on the wind screen. in a pirate costume i imagine.

seriosuly though, i do think alot of people who commit suicide are being to hasty. i rember times ive hurt so bad i didnt think it would ever end or get better, but it does, and in time ive learned to cope when depressed, i can distance myself very well.

i actualy agree in part with oxigen, alot of sucide is selfish, maybe even a cry for attention gone to far, but as i said earlier, alot of it also comes down to mental illness, which people seem very unwilling to achknowlage (mental illness gets less money donated then just about any outher charity, yet statistacly speaking, its rather common). there are cases when sucide seems the best option, i agree with certain cases of euphonasia.

was watching a chat show some time ago, teenager tried to kill himself with a shot gun, blew almost all of his face off, and survived. lost his eyes, most of his mouth, his whole nose, face was litteraly featureless. he was happy to survive. problems probly dont seem so bad now eh?

was watching a chat show some time ago, teenager tried to kill himself with a shot gun, blew almost all of his face off, and survived. lost his eyes, most of his mouth, his whole nose, face was litteraly featureless. he was happy to survive. problems probly dont seem so bad now eh?

I saw that guy on Oprah! I was fascinated by it! Like... they thought he was dead, and when they were pulling him into the body bag, he starts moving his arm and grabs his raw flesh airways and opens them to breathe... he was literally a man without a face.

Sorry to hear about your loss, Triforce. And to JonST.

Well, I guess this post is going to test the memory of many people who were on the forums about...a year and a half ago. Seeing a few posts in this thread does bring back some awful memories of the past. I actually had a conversation with my housemates about some of the stuff that went on, I didn't tell them everything, and I think one or two of them didn't know the extent to how things had gotten.

I was in a pretty bad way. Had some awful problems with my family (particularly my brother), and my ex-girlfriend. After she cheated, our relationship was really destructive. When she left our house, I lived alone, and started a teaching placement, which was just impossible for me to do financially and emotionally. I was in a very, very bad way, with very little money, food and other things. It was a very lonely time.

Looking back on it, I don't understand how I managed to get out of it, because it was an impossible situation. At many points, I did want to die, because I just didn't see how I could get out of it and have any shred of the life I previously had. I guess you could say that I'm living on borrowed time now, because in my mind, I wake up every day and know that had things pushed me just that tiny bit further, I don't think I would be here.

I smile everyday, and I try to be strong and keep smiling, because I'm absolutely terrified of going back to my bad place, again. When I'm upset, it scares me, because it makes me think of what I've been through, and going through all that again.

So, I do understand some of the thoughts that people feel when they contemplate this. When they say "I never thought he/she would do it, they seemed ok." That's the problem, they couldn't get the support, or have the courage to let on that something was wrong, for whatever reason. So, nobody knows.

I thank this forum, because I got loads of support on here. Even if it was just somebody to listen, I had a million and 1 to listen. But, you'll never know how close it came.

I smile everyday, and I try to be strong and keep smiling, because I'm absolutely terrified of going back to my bad place, again. When I'm upset, it scares me, because it makes me think of what I've been through, and going through all that again.

dont fear going back, you know you lived through it and can take strength from that, you can't ever be dragged as far back down because you know theres light at the end of the tunnel, even when the craps pilled to high in front of you to see it.

I came out the other side, but at what price? I'm not living the same life I was before all the trouble began, and I think you could say that I'm rebuilding it.

Its very difficult to even do something like wake up positively sometimes. I wake up and think "What am I doing?" I'm trying to be the best I can be, but...I dunno. Its still a mess.

What do you do when you don't feel strong any more though? After a while you just get drained from it trying to be strong and put on a brave face constantly, and you can't keep doing it, that's when you end up doing something silly. I wonder whether the successes are actually just a cry for help gone too far, or people who just find their problems have gone too far.

Well, I say problems, I disagree with Oxigen's post to an extent, sometimes it IS just people running from their problems, but the times when it's 'when you just feel nothing towards being alive and would rather be dead because you don't really care about "being alive" in general' I think that can be caused by having the problems. Though I also know what you meant, sometimes it's not a case of wanting death, it's just an indifference to being alive anymore, or trying to die happy before it gets worse, maybe?

It doesn't matter how rational you are, the feeling just isn't a rational one, it runs on twisted reasoning and raw feelings, and no matter how much you try to reason with a person it just doesn't get through, as you can't argue with something that's so irrational.

I agree with this.

I've tried to help quite a few people when they've been feeling down to various degrees, and the common thread is that I can't really make them feel better. You might chalk this up to a simple lack of ability on my part, which is fair enough, but I think it runs deeper than that. In my experience people cling to their bad feelings and don't want to let them go, despite what they might say to the contrary, and if they aren't willing to be cheered up then it isn't going to happen. It's really draining to keep talking to someone that's secretly fighting against you, but really all you can do is keep them company, try to keep them distracted and engaged, until they sort themselves out.

Incidentally, I think suicide is more self-obsessed than selfish. A thin line, you might think, but I'd say there's a difference between knowing your actions will negatively affect those you care about and being so blinkered by your own thoughts that you don't even consider them. I'm not saying that one is really all that better than the other, but... well, I suppose I believe that those affected by a suicide might take some twisted comfort in the fact that it isn't really about them.

I came out the other side, but at what price? I'm not living the same life I was before all the trouble began, and I think you could say that I'm rebuilding it.

Its very difficult to even do something like wake up positively sometimes. I wake up and think "What am I doing?" I'm trying to be the best I can be, but...I dunno. Its still a mess.

hey, i hear you, but its not just your life thats changed, you have too. its part of the struggle of life. every one has a rough patch in there life, a time when they hate everything, but i think its what makes people stronger, and makes us appreciate the good times more.

if love was easy would it be as sweet? if we just ended up were we wanted to be, would it be as satisfying as getting there by our own steam?

im sorry that your life is still being rebuilt, but on the plus side, you can change aspects that werent so good, and will be a little wiser from it.

hell, my life is a fucking mess, some times things seem bleak, i cant be bothered to look for work or go to the gym but then i think what i have to gain, and all the things i still want to do. then i send off that cv, or lift that extra set of weights. im no longer dreading tommorow, im bettering it.

if all else fails, just think what would rocky do. that seriously gets me through rough times.

hey, i hear you, but its not just your life thats changed, you have too. its part of the struggle of life. every one has a rough patch in there life, a time when they hate everything, but i think its what makes people stronger, and makes us appreciate the good times more.

if love was easy would it be as sweet? if we just ended up were we wanted to be, would it be as satisfying as getting there by our own steam?

im sorry that your life is still being rebuilt, but on the plus side, you can change aspects that werent so good, and will be a little wiser from it.

hell, my life is a fucking mess, some times things seem bleak, i cant be bothered to look for work or go to the gym but then i think what i have to gain, and all the things i still want to do. then i send off that cv, or lift that extra set of weights. im no longer dreading tommorow, im bettering it.

if all else fails, just think what would rocky do. that seriously gets me through rough times.

I love your attitude towards life.

Yeah, it's just that dispair, that horrible feeling of being lost and not knowing where to go, and you just keep falling deeper in if you aren't careful. Weird that when people get out of it, they don't realise why or how, guess it doesn't help much for others.

Oh, but all the people calling it a cowardly act are pricks.

I'm not disagreeing, but what makes you say that, as opposed to all the other people who seem to think it is?