Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Punch-Out!!

Tellyn

My only game preorder this month is for infamous another game getting great reviews but I've been a bit jaded with games recently I wonder if this could be fun and enjoyable enough to get back in the mode much like House of the Dead Overkill did last time I felt like this.

• Replies 370
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I got it.

But first, I have a hunch about who nr. 14 is. A simple yes or no:

... Doc Louis himself?

I've been a diehard fan of both the NES and SNES Punch-Out, so I'm rather harsh when it comes to an update of one of my favourite franchises. But believe me, it's goooohoooood!! :bouncy:

Believe the hype. It's classic Punch-Out and a hell of a lot fun! Doubters: stop doubting and start punching!

The motion controls are extremely fun! You can play with the wiimote on it's side for ol'skool-thrills, and while it is slightly more responsive, I prefer the motion controls, without any doubt on my mind. Haven't got a balance board, so can't comment on that. One (obvious) tip: go for the left-right-left-right-etc. It's way faster than continuous lefts and rights.

It's little details that make this so great, like it obvious that Glass Joe and Von Kaiser are dubbed by real native-speaking voice-actors, instead of an English-speaking fellow trying to sound frenchy. Or the subtle soundeffects that come from the NES-version (sound rubbish, but it's really great) and ofcourse that soundtrack. Facial animations are outstanding.

And coach Doc Louis? Funniest guy in a videogame since long.

Great job, Next Level Games! Kudos all around! :bowdown:

what shops? indy games shops or a big chain ?

I've seen it in both. I live in Belgium, mind. The normal world stops at our borders.

Well, I'm of to do you know what. ;)

PS: We all know Glass Joe once won one fight. Ever wondered against who? According to Nintendo...

300042-punchoutthefirstfight_p1_super.jpg

300039-punchoutthefirstfight_p2_super.jpg

Edited by Strange Cookie

Also been avoiding this page and anything else, don't want THE SURPRISE to be ruined!

No worries, this thread is spoiler-free... unless you click on one of those awfully tempting spoilertags. ;)

Anyhoo, I think I know what the secret is. I hope I'm wrong when I get there, so I can still be surprised, though.

i dont know whether to get this game or not I played the NES one but I didnt enjoy i that much......but this looks awesome, am i likely to like it anymore?

Hmmm, that's a tricky one...

It is a great game: it looks gorgeous, it plays very well, it's laugh-out funny and deceptively deep, but... it's Punch-Out. Great if you love the series, but if you didn't like the NES-version, I'd definitely recommend a rental first.

Remember: this is hardly a boxing game. It's is more of a puzzler where quick reflexes and pattern-recognision are vital. And the eye of the tiger.

For me, this is one of my best Wii-games so far, but I'm biased because of my love for the series. It's one of those games that define Nintendo. But I can understand that not everybody feels this way about Punch-Out.

Edited by Strange Cookie

I got it! Haven't been able to play it too much..but what i did play i liked i awful lot! In my opinion, it's better if you use the balance board..adds a bit more to the gameplay, but it plays like a dream.

Oh man this is seriously sweet, old school Punch-Out!! truly brought to life on Wii! :bouncy:

I already blasted through the 3 circuits, am rocking title defence mode now. Love the little changes that appear, the various objectives in Exhibition mode are really cool too.

Such a funny game as well, (Don Flamenco and Aran Ryan having made me laugh the most) it really doesn't hold back as far as taking the piss is concerned. icon14.gif All of the boxers are literally exploding with character and I just can't believe how good the animation is! :o

I've used motion controls the whole time and so far they've been flawless! Not had any issues with them at all. I had a brief go with the Balance Board too, but don't think it really works well enough, reckon it'd be way too difficult on the more challenging fights. Only used it for a few minutes though, so perhaps with some practice I could get used to it. It's great that it's in there as an option at least.

But yeah, I'm very, very happy with how this game turned out.

Can't wait to try out Head-to-Head Mode! :hehe:

Well, the internet spoiled the surprise... but then again I doubt I ever would have fought the 14th fighter anyways. The title defense is giving me a serious whooping. :p

Anyway, I was wrong about my guess. It's a nice surprise, but not as earthshattering as I had thought. That'll teach me for getting hyped! ;)

My wrists are sore from playing this game. It's so awesome!

Great Tiger on title defence mode = ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!! :woops:

Just beat him after multiple attempts and almost going completely insane in the process.

I love this game. :laughing:

Don Flamenco was a complete doddle in comparison, so it's on on Aran Ryan next... I'm sure he won't be so easy.

And I take back what I said about Flamenco and Ryan having made me laugh the most too...

Bear Huggers hat dwelling squirrel is bloody hilarious.

:grin:

Absolute. Genius. :bowdown:

Has any one registered the game on the NoE website yet, it's not working for me it reloads the page and there's no error message.
Haven't tried it yet, but I noticed their site has been a bit unstable for a while now. I get the Waluigi error message quite a lot. :hmm:
Edited by RedShell

Can't really afford this at the moment, but bought Super Punch Out on the VC an hour or so ago, as I had the points there. I've never played a game in the series before - it's pretty tough! Took me a LONG time to beat Piston Hurricane, then got KO'd by Bald Bull on my last continue. Depending on how I grow to like it, I may get Punch Out for Wii in the summer.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!