N-Europe

DS/DSi General Discussion

Dante

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't know what to think about this; taking out the GBA slot is lunacy for me it really is!! Why not keep it in, I'm sure everyone wouldn't mind the DSi being a bit bigger but with the slot still there; that means a LOT of people who already have DS's are going to either not get the dsi or get it but have to keep their lites because of GBA Slot games (Band Bros. exp pak, Guitar Hero, Tony Hawks Rumble etc etc).

And then I think do I even want the dsi; bigger screens is good; but I have a digital camera and an ipod, I dont need the new stuff. However, the dsware sounds too good to pass up, will that be available for lites?! New games using the camera also sounds great.

Personally I think Nintendo are playing the money game and not the gaming game. This feels likes somewhere in the middle of the old DS and the DS2 and thus is a very frustrating piece of hardware. In my opinion I'd rather they just fuck off the DS and do a DS2 with camera, music, video playback; 2 multitouch screens, both widescreen, tilt technology and the power of the Wii!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, in terms of getting sales back up to their former glory, the DSi could prove a masterstroke. I think it'll be the media aspect more than anything - God knows people don't buy PSP for its games.

On the matter of the PSP sales, in japan it is down to games really, Monster Hunter and Phantasy Star Portable.

I recently bought a PSP because I had grown tired of my DS and there were a ton of games in the PSP's back catalogue that I wanted. The DSi is again making me curious about upgrading, I still have a DS Phat plus there are quie a few games out now that I want for it. Picked up Viva Pinata recently as well... All the extra features that they adding from a mulitmedia point of view into the DSi all look good to.

Even more DSi camera fun:

The one where you can change the colour of clothes by tapping on them is particularly impressive I think, just seems so slick. I also like the way it can track the position of a face and move the decorations accordingly, very cool despite the slight delay. :awesome:

Indeed, the editing on it really impressed me. Are you importing it RedShell?
Nah, the main reason I want one of these is for the DSi Shop, which is going to be region locked (as well as DSi games by the looks of things) so it's not worth it. Plus it's not exactly going to be much of a wait for the Euro release anyway. :smile:

What about you, importing?

from another board:

There's a DSi booklet or spec sheet that got scanned today.

Click here for scan.

Anyway, as you'll note the right-hand side of the booklet has an SDHC logo. So the DSi does SDHC. The copyright text notes that Nintendo has licenced WPA code ("WPA supplicant" hands key authentication for WPA purposes), so it's virtually guaranteed the DSi does WPA. No other particularly interesting outside tech licenced. Unfortunately the Opera licence note does not note any plugins like Flash being used by Opera, so it's not likely we'll know anything about that until release.

In addition, the AC Adapter is not the DS Lite's AC Adapter, or at least it doesn't appear to be. My AC Adapter for the the DSL is model number USG-002 and says "US/Japan", the DSi's AC Adapter is model WAP-002.

Wifi seems to be the same connection strength (although I don't know the DSL's dBm numbers offhand, the "suggested usage range" is the same). Does not do 802.11-draft n. 802.11b and 802.11g only.

The codename for the DSi was probably "Twilight" (model numbers are chosen based on codenames, DSi model number is TWL-001).

Unit weight: 214g

Unit size: 74.9mm x 137mm x 18.9mm (how does this compare to the DS Lite)?

Battery life (brightest to least bright): 3-4, 4-6, 6-9, 8-12, 9-14.

Screen resolutions confirmed to be the exact same (256x192), only 3.25". We already knew this, but it hammers out any possibility of people misunderstanding and assuming some software will use a higher resolution.

That's about all that's interesting on the sheet. Enjoy.

I'm going through with my pre-order, eventhough I'll probably buy a EU version too for the DSware. I chose the standard shipping with Yesasia though, so it'll be at least 2 weeks before it arrives (hasn't shipped yet). I mean, I want it early, but I'm not in such a hurry that I want to risk import duty and taxes (which, for an order of € 300,- will be quite a lot).

Anyway, does anyone know audacity-like software which also exports to AAC format? I'm adamant on using my new DSi as a music player ;). I hope they include the play-yan (micro) interface..

Finally, I hope Keys Factory will have another awsome series of pouches for the DSi! Don't have anything to put it in when it arrives..

One big question does the wireless now let you use WPA? Big advantage PSP now has for me.

I'm gonna hold to the UK release whenever that is....

I read that old games will still only be able to use WEP. I can't remember where I read it though, probably on Gonintendo but I don't know how reliable their source was.

I'm looking forward to it even more now, here's a few of the DSiWare titles Nintendo should have lined up for around our launch.

Four new WarioWare games for DSiWare and WiiWare have been announced, in addition to six DSi games in the Art Style series.

In a recent press conference, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata announced a miniature avalanche of bite-size downloadable titles for both WiiWare and the Nintendo DSi's new online shopping service, DSiWare. Four new WarioWare titles were confirmed (one of which we already saw in one of the Nintendo Media Summit trailers), three for DSWare and one for WiiWare, with six DSiWare Art Style games also confirmed for release.

The first is a remake of WarioWare, Inc.: Minigame Mania, the first title in the series which was originally released on the Game Boy Advance. The game will be split up into different packages and released episodically for 200 Nintendo Points per section.

Utsusu! Made in Wario is next, which takes advantage of the DSi's digital camera and allows you to use your silhouette as your playable character (presumably in an EyeToy-esque way, using your own body to interact with the minigames). This one will be a DSWare launch title next month.

Made in Ore is the WarioWare title we saw at the Media Summit, a microgame editor which allows you to "make your own music, graphics, pretty much everything, including programming the logic and making your own 'game cassette'". It features Wii-DS connectivity with Asobu! Made in Ore, a WiiWare title which allows you to upload and play your microgames on your TV.

Six Art Style games were also confirmed for release. The Art Style series has enjoyed success in America on WiiWare as complete remakes of the previously Japan-only Bit Generations games for the GBA, though these new titles will be launching on DSWare. The first title appears to be a remake of Bit Generations title Coloris, a puzzler where you simply shift colours to create chains.

Finally, Iwata confirmed that Japanese subway maps will be available for download from DSiWare, handy if you're planning a trip to the land of the rising sun.

DSiWare will launch in Japan in December, exclusively for the recently-launched DSi.

N-Europe

Received it yesterday (along with Rhythm Tengoku, Tales of Innocence, and Screw Breakers for GBA, better known as Drill Dozer). Yesasia was incredibly fast this time.. A bit too fast I fear. They only took the weekend to send it.. Anyway. Of course I thought ahead of the adapter problem, unfortunately I should've looked more into it, it seems Nintendo devices adapters are picky what power they want. I only got an extension plug, which let me insert it in the powersocket, but it doesn't change the voltage, and now my DSi won't charge..

Strangely enough, the DSi was a bit charged out of the box (not normal?), so I could play with it for a couple of hours. You first have to adjust some settings (just like the DSlite if I recall correctly, things like the date and your nick), and it also asks to take a photograph, to use as a wallpaper. I looked through the settings menu, which is a risky thing to do, as you might find the master reset, undoing all your previous entered settings :D (I don't understand any Japanese by the way). The language barrier also prevented me from entering the shop and downloading the browser, just like on the Wii, it asks you to accept a license agreement first. I tried all the combinations, but everytime it sent me back to the settings menu.. After watching the Tales of Innocence intro and playing for a bit, the battery died.So now I'm looking for a voltage convertor ;).