NEurope
Dan_Dare

Left 4 Dead: A Thread For Suvivalists

I thought it was a decent look at the game. Short but gets right to the point which is a novelty in this day and age where reviews seem to go on forever. For that, it's good and you get a good sense of what the game is about and what it'll feel like playing.

If I had more time on my hands, I'd keep up with reviewing. I've done a few bits and pieces for free on another site and one review here but wouldn't be able to go with the deadlines set by a bigger site. Although I am working on a little feature for here, probably just plonk it on the forums. But I digress.

Haven't bought this myself. Couldn't actually find a copy of it on the 360 which was annoying. Will have to wait till after xmas to get my mass zombie killing fix.

oh em gee guys. I read such a good review of this game. The guy who wrote it must be some kind of maverick ace critic or something

Is this your first review?

Liking it nonetheless. Concise and informative.

It is mine, but it's not my first. I wrote for my uni mag in years past and now write for that magazine. I also wrote the Mirror's Edge and Spiderman review on the site.

The achievements are so fucked in this game. The amount of times it's refused to give them for one reason or another is ridiculous. Today we discovered you don't get any playing through on Easy, despite it not being easy at all (A tank a level? nice). I've also played through with just pistols and I didn't get anything, that was on Normal mode. So apparently even if you pick up another weapon you don't get it. Yeh thanks.

Anyone seen the hacking that people are managing to do on this? I just finished watching a video and some of it is ridiculous. I'm hearing that it's being used online meaning for some very unfair gaming. Kinda putting me off of getting it as I do enjoy teaming up with randoms online, which is why I love TF2 so much. But hopefully it won't become wide spread.

I've heard of it. Sadly, looks like the 360 version has been hit too.

I'm psyching up with a bunch of my regs for No Mercy extreme mode next week. We're going to be butchered.

lol. Good luck with that. I have a question that I forgot to ask after the demo: What the hell do you do with the Witch? Everytime I went a little bit near her or tried to shoot her to kill her she'd bolt after me and I'd be left dead because of the stupid AI not helping me. Is there an easier way to kill them, you know pipe bomb or molotov?

You're supposed to sneak past them :heh:

failing that- organised, prepared gunnage from really far away works.

lol. Good luck with that. I have a question that I forgot to ask after the demo: What the hell do you do with the Witch? Everytime I went a little bit near her or tried to shoot her to kill her she'd bolt after me and I'd be left dead because of the stupid AI not helping me. Is there an easier way to kill them, you know pipe bomb or molotov?

I kneed her in the balls and she fell over. Give that a try.

@ Dan Dare - Really? lol. Wasted time dying trying to kill the things when I could have sneaked past them. Although the first time I stepped on her which was the reason for me getting her attention and I have the AI to thank for not saving me. Anyway, I need to decide whether to get this or not. hmmm.....

Not sure what you mean by 'hacking'? I've noticed I get owned a lot in versus as the opposite team seem to have no respawn time what so ever. Though I don't play VS much. The game is awesome just with 4 people going through campaigning it up. Just don't plan to get achievements because it never happens.

^ By hacking I mean players who have infinite ammo, pipe bombs/molotov cocktails and other stuff which has modified the game from it's original presentation. It seems though that Valve have already applied something to it's servers to prevent it and is sending out an update to 360s soon to further block the modding.

Oh right, can't say i've noticed any of that business going on. I do only play with friends though.

I've played it, and I must say the way they added the film visual effects made the game so much nicer. Honestly, I wouldn't have thought of doing it, but it really paid off.

Bought this yesterday with a friend and i'm very surprised how much i like it! Very cool game. Granted i'm doing it on easy but still... breaking myself in slowly. Didn't think i would make it out alive on the 2nd campaign, waiting for that boat to come...

Only played it with 1 friend so far. Might play some more with him tonight.

The achievements are so fucked in this game. The amount of times it's refused to give them for one reason or another is ridiculous. Today we discovered you don't get any playing through on Easy, despite it not being easy at all (A tank a level? nice). I've also played through with just pistols and I didn't get anything, that was on Normal mode. So apparently even if you pick up another weapon you don't get it. Yeh thanks.

Which ones don't u get on easy? I have been unlocking achievments and i have only done the first 2 campaign areas. (CHeck my live profile for which ones, can't remember there names off hand).

Bought this yesterday with a friend and i'm very surprised how much i like it! Very cool game. Granted i'm doing it on easy but still... breaking myself in slowly. Didn't think i would make it out alive on the 2nd campaign, waiting for that boat to come...

Only played it with 1 friend so far. Might play some more with him tonight.

Which ones don't u get on easy? I have been unlocking achievments and i have only done the first 2 campaign areas. (CHeck my live profile for which ones, can't remember there names off hand).

Well I was wrong about you not getting anything on Easy. I wasn't wrong about it refusing to give you some achievements. I completed the 2nd campaign 2 times before it gave me the completion achievement. When you try and get the pistols only one DON'T use the minigun. That's what cost it me, picking up other weapons is fine as long as you don't use them. All that said and done, there is more to this game than achievements. You'll find this after the first few months. You won't care about them at all. The only reason I care about them now is that I have played it to death and need some goal for playing it through for the 20th time :P

Well I was wrong about you not getting anything on Easy. I wasn't wrong about it refusing to give you some achievements. I completed the 2nd campaign 2 times before it gave me the completion achievement. When you try and get the pistols only one DON'T use the minigun. That's what cost it me, picking up other weapons is fine as long as you don't use them. All that said and done, there is more to this game than achievements. You'll find this after the first few months. You won't care about them at all. The only reason I care about them now is that I have played it to death and need some goal for playing it through for the 20th time :P

Cool. There has been the odd game before now where i was sure i did what was needed to be done to get an achievement yet it never unlocked...

From what i have played it has been fantastic fun, me and a friend were having a right laugh with it last night.

Cool. There has been the odd game before now where i was sure i did what was needed to be done to get an achievement yet it never unlocked...

From what i have played it has been fantastic fun, me and a friend were having a right laugh with it last night.

It's my game of the year to be honest. Nothing else has given me so much fun. There was nothing better than when everyone was still new to it and getting shitted up at every horde. Pure comedy.

Kojima knows where the action is : peace:

"The US and European marketplace are far better balanced. There are games everyone can play -- maybe calling 'kids' games' would be inappropriate -- but there's also a deep base of core titles made with movie-industry people that explore the depths of hi-def. I'm addicted to Left 4 Dead right now, but people say to me that that game would never work in Japan."

Kojima's a little pessimistic about the Japanese video games market, laughing as he says;

"Maybe I should quit being Japanese. And speaking of which, there were hardly any Japanese games nominated in Spike TV's Video Game Awards this year. It's sad to see that Japan's games failed to even register in America last year."

When asked why Japanese developers struggle to keep up with the overseas competition, Kojima is just as damning;

"Because they're Japanese. Japan makes all their own books and movies and music. You can't export entertainment made by Japanese people in the Japanese language, so it's all made with the sort of budgets that guarantee profit within the Japanese marketplace only.

"Meanwhile, the English-speaking world is a global one. The scariest scenario I see is people overseas taking the ideas from Japanese games, running the Hollywood business merchandising machine on them, and taking all the revenue. If that happens, then there won't be any new Japanese creators."

I played this alot last week and all I can say is Blood Harvest: Farmhouse + Expert + holding up in the barn = Classic gaming action! :)

I got this last night and so far I'm really loving it. I like how there's no real elaborate story for any of it - by now you know the possible reasons for a zombie outbreak so it's pointless trying to pin a certain narrative to the game. Having those subtle, and quite creepy, messages scribbled on the wall of your safe house is a much better method and let's you focus on just surviving.

I have to say it's really frantic too. Even on normal, which is how I'm playing it the first time through, a horde can totally overwhelm me and leave me just rotating in a 360° circle spraying my gun, in hope of taking out enough of the zombies.

The specs are fantastic too - I don't exactly have an amazing PC, yet I'm able to run it with everything on full at 1280*1024. I know the Source Engine is quite old now, but this game still looks awesome.

After I'm done with the single player I'll definitely waste many hours on the multiplayer. :)

I got this on 360 on Monday. It's a brilliant game (as long as you avoid random matches).

Patch out for the PC, coming out for 360 "in the coming weeks".

General

- Fixed Survivors being able to climb surfaces marked for versus infected only.

- Fixed a class of SurvivorBot bugs dealing with rescuing downed players.

- Players can no longer grab ladders while flying through the air after a Tank punch.

- Shooting near a car with an alarm that has already fired the alarm will no longer make chirping noises.

- Improved loading time.

- Fixed mini-gun physics exploit.

- Fixed propane tanks (and other physics objects) causing players to fall through elevators.

- Fixed rare achievement bug issues.

- Fixed several map exploits.

- Fixed various match making issues.

- Fixed NAT traversal issues.

Versus Changes

- Added HUD elements to show status of other infected players.

- Changed color of infected player name in chat to red.

- Fixed exploit where players could spawn infected bots

- Fixed instance where a Survivor changing to the infected team would be attacked by infected bots.

- Normalized special infected melee damage.

- Made the following client commands cheat protected: "Kill" and "explode".

- Fixed exploit where infected players could run away and teleport back to gain health.

- Players can only change teams once per map.

- Players can't change teams while other players are still loading.

- Tank spawns at the same % through the map for both teams in versus mode.

- Made the Tank and Witch spawn directly on the escape route.

- Increased chance of getting the Tank or Witch.

- Fixed team swap issue.

Hunter

- Easier to pounce a Survivor who is meleeing.

- Increased Minimum damage a Hunter pounce does.

Smoker

- Fixed Smoker tongue tolerance.

- Smoker now has to be killed or the tongue destroyed for the tongue to break.

- Survivor's cannot bash someone off the tongue until the Survivor being pulled is paralyzed or hanging

- Tongue attacks that fail to paralyze or hang a Survivor will use the shorter ability delay timer.

- Fixed cases where the ability timer was not using the correct time.

- Fixed case where you could point at a Survivor but not register a tongue hit

- Fixed Smoker tongue not targeting and landing properly through PZ ghosts.

- Smoker tongue does damage every second while dragging paralyzed Survivors.

Tank

- Bashable objects now appear with a red glow.

- Tanks hitting a car with an alarm disables the alarm permanently.

- Tank frustration timer is only reset by hitting Survivors with rocks or fists.

- Reduced autoshotgun damage against Tanks.

Witch

- Witch spawns at the same % through the map for both teams.

- Avoids spawning within a certain % of the tank.

- Fixed an exploit where the Witch could be woken up and tricked into attacking Survivors.

http://kotaku.com/5131676/left-4-dead-patch-now-live

Great news! The versus changes, especially for the Smoker are brilliant.

Nice update!

I find it funny how Japanese devs developed an inferiority complex against western devs recently, comparing western games to Hollywood and how they congratulate FPS games for this achievement.

Still nice to see Kojima likes L4D, it shows good taste.

in terms of international appeal, I'd say the Japanese have been up shit creek for some time now. I know that, personally, I just don't get excited by the games you can outright call Japanese at all these days. How long has it been since anything from that market (that wasn't very Westernised) did anything really exciting. Their RPGs are moribund, they seem technically miles behind the west (compare that Square RPG on Unreal with Gears 2) and generally a bt dull

I believe i have come across my first achievement bug for this game! Playing it with a friend on live co-op and we were going for the 'dont disturb the witch' achievement but also he was going for not using health packs as i had already got that. I got killed by a tank on chapter 5 but he completed it and unlocked the witch achievement whereas i didn't. I thought this was just coz i died but i did it again the other night on single player and it never unlocked again! On the 'credits' it even said no-one had disturbed a witch!

Rather annoyed.