NEurope
Dan_Dare

Left 4 Dead: A Thread For Suvivalists

lol I deleted my post hoping no one would see it as I didn't want a whole achievement bashing discussion to kick off.

Yeah, I used the Jesus Room, Jesus Plane and Jesus Rock. The Jesus Tractor is pretty bad so we just held up in the barn and as soon as the Tank appeared we ran to the rafters and killed him before returning to our original holding spots.

Have to admit that trying to do No Mercy on expert in single player is looking very unlikely. A good challenge but the AI just aren't quick enough to react to things like Smokers or hunters getting hold of me. Although I did get the Back 2 Help achievement out of my try by blasting Bill with the shotgun just before he made it to the safe house on the first part. Still can't get the achievey for no healing during the campaign either. I'm guessing No Mercy on easy is the best one to go for on that one because Death Toll would be a nightmare, especially at the end.

Oh and one last thing. Anyone got any tips for using the smoker online? I don't like the Smoker that much and can rarely get a hold of one of the survivors. So was just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting to grips with him.

Have to admit that trying to do No Mercy on expert in single player is looking very unlikely. A good challenge but the AI just aren't quick enough to react to things like Smokers or hunters getting hold of me. Although I did get the Back 2 Help achievement out of my try by blasting Bill with the shotgun just before he made it to the safe house on the first part. Still can't get the achievey for no healing during the campaign either. I'm guessing No Mercy on easy is the best one to go for on that one because Death Toll would be a nightmare, especially at the end.

Oh and one last thing. Anyone got any tips for using the smoker online? I don't like the Smoker that much and can rarely get a hold of one of the survivors. So was just wondering if anyone has any tips for getting to grips with him.

Death Toll at the end is actually one of the easiest parts. You run out of the house and head past the pier and into the water. There you just stand back as far as you can and no enemies should be able to attack you as you blast them from a mile away. When the boat arrives just head to the pier and make sure everyone has grenades so that all of the zombies are drawn to them. This is where I actually got that achievy for not taking any damage when you call for your pick up.

Death Toll at the end is actually one of the easiest parts. You run out of the house and head past the pier and into the water. There you just stand back as far as you can and no enemies should be able to attack you as you blast them from a mile away. When the boat arrives just head to the pier and make sure everyone has grenades so that all of the zombies are drawn to them. This is where I actually got that achievy for not taking any damage when you call for your pick up.

Cool. Me and a friend had been trying to get that achievement on the same level but in the end he got it on Dead air without me :( I have come close once or twice though on dead air and death toll.

I believe I know the answer to this one but just want to make sure: do melee attacks count as friendly fire? Stupid question yes and I believe the answer is no but the game isn't giving me the no friendly fire achievement and I've gone through several campaigns without shooting the others and not getting shot by them. Bit baffled really.

I believe I know the answer to this one but just want to make sure: do melee attacks count as friendly fire? Stupid question yes and I believe the answer is no but the game isn't giving me the no friendly fire achievement and I've gone through several campaigns without shooting the others and not getting shot by them. Bit baffled really.

I know u mentioned in a previous post that you find it hard to play a whole campain through due to time commitents. Have u completed the story all the way through without turning the console off?

As with the achievement for completing a campaign this one is another that u need to play start to finish.

No. Melee attacks don't count as friendly fire. The stats at the end should also tell you how much friendly fire there is.

You have to go through the whole campaign. If there is some friendly fire you need to exit to the Lobby/Main Menu and start again.

The easiest way to do it is with three bots. Let them do most of the shooting.

If you rarely hit other people , then you won't get the warning message that pops up (although the survivor will likely shout at you) - the pop-up messages stop appearing if you do what they say enough times (but re-appear if you "forget" the lesson).

Yeh thought so. Don't understand why I'm not getting it. I've run through No Mercy several times, Death Toll and Dead Air completely without shooting any of the other survivors and nothing. Guess all I can do is keep trying.

Yeh thought so. Don't understand why I'm not getting it. I've run through No Mercy several times, Death Toll and Dead Air completely without shooting any of the other survivors and nothing. Guess all I can do is keep trying.

Apparantly some of the achievements are glitched. This could be one for u.

I completed a campaign without starling any witches. The stats at the end even said it but it never unlocked....

Finally! Got the no heals achievement although didn't get on the helicopter at the end of No Mercy because it wouldn't let me on (::shrug:) and then a tank smashed me half way across the map. But at least I got it. Was doing well on the no friendly fire achievement by using melee when big mobs of zombies came but at one point I had a clear shot at one of them and the others were quite a bit away so I decide I'll just shoot. Bloody AI controlling Bill runs infront of my shot cancelling that one out. :nono: And then to cap it off, I was trying for the sneak past the witches achievement and got passed every single one but the AI controlling Zoey decided to go the other side of the forklift truck on the 3 chapter and startled the Witch, ruining that achievement as well. Seems the AI really doesn't like me on this.

I've completed about 4 runs through on single player, already got about 23 achievements without even trying. Enjoying the game massively, and very sad that I don't have Live! Hoping Dan Dare/Shorty will be up for a game today. Still got the last campaign to attempt.

The witches genuinely scare me.

Just had a couple fo sessions with Shorty today - unbelievably good fun co-op, really really tempted to get LIVE, but I have essays and exams. Must. Control. Urges.

I managed to get Cr0wnd (chuffed!). Some people say that they never startled the Witch, but I've noticed that the Witches can be 'startled' by other enemies too, which is why sometimes you'll have a bunch of zeros on the summary screen and no achievement.

The game is just made of Epic moment after Epic moment. Achievements are driving me through most plays, but co-op adds a new dimension.

Just had a couple fo sessions with Shorty today - unbelievably good fun co-op, really really tempted to get LIVE, but I have essays and exams. Must. Control. Urges.

I managed to get Cr0wnd (chuffed!). Some people say that they never startled the Witch, but I've noticed that the Witches can be 'startled' by other enemies too, which is why sometimes you'll have a bunch of zeros on the summary screen and no achievement.

The game is just made of Epic moment after Epic moment. Achievements are driving me through most plays, but co-op adds a new dimension.

1. Do it! lol :heh:

2. That might be what happened to me then... Figures.

I finally did a campaign on Expert: Dead Air. Thee humans and a bot. It isn't actually that bad if you be careful.

I just need the Red Mist, Killing 53,000 odd Zombies, Nothing Special and the All Campaigns achievements and I've gotten them all.

Finished Blood Harvest last night, although failed at the sneak passed all of the witches achievement thanks to one of the bots startling one instead of circling round her like I was doing :shakehead. Seemed very reminiscent of Death Tool and the train yard bit brought back memories of Half Life 2. Dead Air is still my favourite campaign though. Now to try and finish them on expert which is going to be a nightmare to do.

It'll be especially hard with bots. Plus bots are useless at sneaking past witches.

Yeh, really useless at sneaking passed them. Was the only one we would have had to sneak passed in the entire campaign (all the other witches were completely out of the way so were easy to get by) and yet the still managed to screw it up even with me taking a wide line away from her. I'll get it eventually though.

It can also be a problem when there is no way of sneaking past them. I once had a with standing in the end saferoom door.

Yeh I've had some bad witch placements. On my first play through of No Mercy I got to the bit in the hospital where you go into the elevator well and have to go up 2 sets of ladders to get to the roof. Get up the first set of ladders and right at the top there's a witch sitting facing them. :shakehead Apart from these little things though the AI Director is a nice addition because 2 run throughs are never the same. Think other games should use it to liven things up a bit for those going through campaigns a second time.

Survival Horror games (in the more traditional sense) could do well to borrow such a system.

Indeed. Hell, even something like Resi Evil would benefit from it. I remember running through RE4 like 4 times, each time faster because it was all the same. If they incorporated this into it, it would make more playthroughs much more enjoyable as it'd never be the same.

FPS games in general could benefit from it. Halo 3 was easy because there was a checkpoint every minute and it was pretty much exactly the same each time.