NEurope
Charlie

The University Thread 08/09

I did 3 subjects through AS-A2. Way I saw it was 'why pick a 4th you don't actually want, knowing you'll drop it half way'?

I thought the same but we had to choose a 4th. I really should have taken something that I would've liked doing but I was an idiot and chose maths.

It seems Huddersfield Uni has a Freshers fortnight. Strange.

But I also found out some more info which is benefitial to me. I'm looking forward to this more now.

The good example is my course, it's a design course so ideally art would be better, I did art over two years ago at gcse level and then did IT at college with hardly any graphics whatsoever and was still let on as long as I had the points required.

It was the same with programming, although they let me on straight away with no clearance even though I didn't have the B in maths as I did programming in college. xD

Highers are worth way more in UCAS points for some reason, despite them being easier.

At the end of the day, most unis aren't as superficial to go by UCAS points alone. Say you wanted to study Russian, and got an A in Russian and 2 Cs in other subjects, you'd probably still be accepted.

They're worth more than AS levels but not as many as A levels which are a bit harder than Highers.

I thought the same but we had to choose a 4th. I really should have taken something that I would've liked doing but I was an idiot and chose maths.

It seems Huddersfield Uni has a Freshers fortnight. Strange.

But I also found out some more info which is benefitial to me. I'm looking forward to this more now.

for us, it was never a forced thing, just heavily implied that it was the done thing. They barely mentioned that we could choose not to take a 4th.

They're worth more than AS levels but not as many as A levels which are a bit harder than Highers.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Highers are easier than ASs, but are worth more.

Higher Latin was a joke compared to AS.

for us, it was never a forced thing, just heavily implied that it was the done thing. They barely mentioned that we could choose not to take a 4th.

Wish I went to your college/my college did the same. It was a waste of a year and I didn't speak to/get to know anybody in that class.

I felt sorry for the guys that didn't take IT at High school. They were forced to have one lesson a week with computers.I remember one guy telling me lesson one was How to turn on a computer.

I laughed in his face.

Whoever was saying about joining a group to make friends; it sounds like a good idea. But then again I was friends with this one guy in college, we had no classes together. The only time we spoke was break times. Thinking about it it's strange how it happened.

Not read through the rest f the thread but I started back on Friday.. been here a week. Joy.

Oh, and the interest on loan reflects the interest rate. So if you buy a trolley full of shopping for £100 now, the money you owe in however many years time will be the same amount to buy the same products in that rolley.

Yeah, that's what I meant.

Highers are easier than ASs, but are worth more.

Higher Latin was a joke compared to AS.

I think on the whole Highers are harder than AS levels, or they're definitely meant to be. Anywya, not many Scottish unis use the points system, they just give you grades you need to get.

I did 3 subjects through AS-A2. Way I saw it was 'why pick a 4th you don't actually want, knowing you'll drop it half way'?

That's what I did and I failed a subject.

It's at about 5% (It was somewhere between 4.5 and 4.9 I believe) interest this year, I got my letter through earlier. I get my first payment on the 29th September. Awesome :D

I got a letter today telling me how much my loans are and this time I'm getting a grant. Thankfully I'm getting 2 grand more than before income assessed, and rightly so.

I think I might set up a Halifax student account. I don't intend to work so the 3 grand overdraft seems like a nice thing. I don't intend to really use up the overdraft aswell, so that's even better.

I think I might set up a Halifax student account. I don't intend to work so the 3 grand overdraft seems like a nice thing. I don't intend to really use up the overdraft aswell, so that's even better.

If I were you I'd work rather than use some of your overdraft...one Sunday a week provided me with plenty (time and a half).

I already have a Halifax student account. To start off with, your overdraft is £500. I think they said something like its based on your credit history and is tiered anyway, so you start off with £500 but come xmas or something, it'll get higher anyways and throughout the year comes up to £3000.

Only gonna use the overdraft if I have to, so thats emergencies etc. Definitely gonna find a job and hopefully that shouldn't be too hard, considering uni is only a 10 minute walk from Birmingham city centre. Plus I have experience....Booyah!

I need to ask mum when my first payment is I honestly can't remember, this is what happens when she deals with important things rather than me!

I have the same account as you I think baboo, the £500 overdraft student account, although I only really signed up initially because I was sick of being rejected for buying things with a visa electron. Although I'm keeping the overdraft at £500 as £3000 is abit of a waste and too much of a temptation.

Stefkov why on earth aren't you planning to work? From what I've been told it's ideal to get some worktime in first year and then drop out out work the second year?

I dunno. I might work. It's just I have no experience other than behind a bar.

I've applied for plenty of jobs in the past few years and they all say I don't have any experience. So I just gave up. No point wasting my time looking/applying.

I don't intend to use the £3000 overdraft, but it's there if I need it.

I might aswell enjoy my time there rather than getting a crappy job adding a little spending money every month.

I joined Natwest because I thought it offered the best deal in the end.

Apparently a good idea is to max out your overdraft and stick that money in an isa or just an account with good interest to earn a bit of money. Anyone do that or are planning to do that?

Also found out there is a snowsport society at Reading, I'm so excited :D

I've applied for plenty of jobs in the past few years and they all say I don't have any experience. So I just gave up. No point wasting my time looking/applying.

I might aswell enjoy my time there rather than getting a crappy job adding a little spending money every month.

Apply for a bar job then.

I have the same account as you I think baboo, the £500 overdraft student account, although I only really signed up initially because I was sick of being rejected for buying things with a visa electron. Although I'm keeping the overdraft at £500 as £3000 is abit of a waste and too much of a temptation.

Lol I have the same problems as you. Bloody Visa Electron! The visa electron card is so poor as well! Just got my new Visa Debit card and its so much better! Numbers are actually indented into the card!:heh::smile:

Mate there will be plenty of bar jobs needed around uni, whether its around campus (SU bar, pub etc) or in town centre etc. And for me, I need all the money I can get!

Yeh, it's better if you have some sort of work while at Uni. I wouldn't say to drop out of work after the first year though. After your first year, I'd say try and get into work that is focused on your degree. So for example, I may get a bar job for the first year and then start doing internships or something similar with Psychotherapy clinics.

That is sound advice.

I would also like to offer this advice; don't work 50 hours a week during your second year. Was a silly mistake of mine.

In a few weeks we'll be having the second year internetless draught whereby everyone is waiting for their connections to be active. Thought I had mine all sorted so its only a few days but Virgin are saying the BT line needs to be active (18th) and it'd be ten days after that >_<

That is sound advice.

I would also like to offer this advice; don't work 50 hours a week during your second year. Was a silly mistake of mine.

In a few weeks we'll be having the second year internetless draught whereby everyone is waiting for their connections to be active. Thought I had mine all sorted so its only a few days but Virgin are saying the BT line needs to be active (18th) and it'd be ten days after that >_<

At Aston Uni, the internet is meant to be terrible. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Also costs around £15 per month! What a bloody joke!

At Aston Uni, the internet is meant to be terrible. I'm not looking forward to it at all. Also costs around £15 per month! What a bloody joke!

The six(ish) weeks I spent on campus in my second year was awful. They cut my access anywhere between three and fifteen times a week. They admitted its a problem they have with macs and yet everytime got pissed off when I went in and said "can I have my net back?" really not my fault and yet they still gave me dirty looks.

I'm not looking forward to that. I might be able to miss it though as the flat I'm moving into doesn't have an active phoneline so the landlord said we could probably get that sorted out before we move in as the people in it already don't use it... I hope that's the case.

I'm not looking forward to that. I might be able to miss it though as the flat I'm moving into doesn't have an active phoneline so the landlord said we could probably get that sorted out before we move in as the people in it already don't use it... I hope that's the case.

Yeah but it takes something like 28 days to active a phoneline. Then once thats active (if you're going cable anyway) you have to wait two weeks or whatever for the internet line to be alive. We moved in mid September last year and it was late October before we got the net.