NEurope
Kirkatronics

Legalising Weed In The UK

If the usual smoking laws applied to weed smokers, then sure, Legalise it. As long as I'm not around, they can do whatever the hell they want :-p

But 24-hour drinking? Now THERE's something we can do without. And now they want to tackle the binge culture by stopping HAPPY HOUR!? How about the other 23!?

weed smells amazing. fact.

I thought that until I had to live in a place where I smelt it every day when my housemate would get stoned and watch empire strikes back all the time. What a idiot god I hated that smell that term.

Now I don't really have any experience with weed so I can't really formulate an opinion on it. One thing I would say; "Alcohol is worse and thats legal so weed should be too!!" is not a valid excuse. I bet if the government could get away with banning alcohol they would. It has caused a whole lot of problems which would not exist if it had been banned all along. Same with tobacco. But the fact is, they simply couldn't get away with doing it now.

that's probably about 5 people ever.

Correlation does not equal causation, oui? Someone heading for smack is, I think we can all agree, heading for smack. You can't compare pot to heroin, and there's no reason to say the lesser drug puts you on the path to class A use.

Even if there was, it's an argument for legalisation, not against. Take it out the hands of dealers pushing hard drugs.

I prob have a more negative view coz with the job i do i am in regular contact with smackheads, 'job seeker allowance ppl' etc, but alot of there stories seem to be the same 'i started on canabis and now i regret it.'

However i do see ur point.

There is some ppl who can take it occationly and never have the urge to try anything else. The problem is i think coz so many young ppl start with weed whoever they get it off with prob say fancy trying an E and thats how i think a downward spiral would begin.

The poor are poor because they have no money, not because of their vices. Rich people have as many or more vices.

I've been more against the legalization of it, but now I can't really see much reason for it to be illegal while alcohol isn't and drunk people are more dangerous than someone that's high.

actualy, it seems that the rich and poor are slightly differently wired up, in alot of cases. the rich tend to save money, whilst the poor commonly splash out as soon as they have money. this isnt steriotypical, and it dosent apply to all cases, but go down a poor street and notice how many satalite dishes there are, and how big the tvs are.

Every one who said no is correct.

Well done.

Weed can never and will never be legalized.

Alcohol is not legal, its a controlled substance and that is the way weed would have to be, and it should be that way. End thread.

Not too sure on this, as i don't smoke and if it had the same laws as Tobacco smoking then i would be ok with it being legal, because then i wouldn't have to smell it.

Every one who said no is correct.

Well done.

Weed can never and will never be legalized.

Alcohol is not legal, its a controlled substance and that is the way weed would have to be, and it should be that way. End thread.

Alcohol, a controlled substance, just how is it controlled then, because I can get a drink any time I like and generally a fair bit cheaper than the RRP. I can drink as much as I like too, with no one stopping me. So please do tell how it is a controlled substance?

well, the long term effects of weed are rather bad, but so is consitant alcohal abuse. if it was kept to moderation, id not have a problem, but like alcohal, we just cant be responsible with it.

I thought that until I had to live in a place where I smelt it every day when my housemate would get stoned and watch empire strikes back all the time. What a idiot god I hated that smell that term.

That sounds awesome.

Alcohol, a controlled substance, just how is it controlled then, because I can get a drink any time I like and generally a fair bit cheaper than the RRP. I can drink as much as I like too, with no one stopping me. So please do tell how it is a controlled substance?

Just a dodgy theory, but could it be by the ABV and price?

Presumably he means pure alcohol. Course, the correct analogy for that would be selling THC in stores.

boom. blazed another post!

Does it really matter? People who want it will get it anyway. I personally don't like it and think of it as a just a herb.

Are you 15? No. Can you only buy it in certain places? Yes.

Basically, for you to get alcohol you have to be over 18 and the place you are getting it from needs to be licensed. That is how it is controlled.

The same as weed in amsterdam, you cant just walk in anywhere and get weed its only in certain places and you have to be old enough.

I spent a week in amsterdam this summer and it was one of the best weeks of my life. It should be legalised.

I spent a week in amsterdam this summer and it was one of the best weeks of my life. It should be legalised.

What? Amsterdam? Amsterdam's illegal?

What? Amsterdam? Amsterdam's illegal?

Haha, yes, amsterdam is illegal over here. ;)

It shouldn't be legalised, even if it was, it'd be taxed to hell and I'm more than certain that people would still go to dealers than stores for that very reason.

God knows I would if I smoked weed.

No necessarily. In holland buying from dealers is looked down upon. I would rather pay £25 for a 1/4 from a coffeeshop than £15 from a street dealer. Yes, you're right that's anecdotal but you can see others doing the same considering

1) You'd rather give money to a legitimate business

2) £25 also earns you an hour or two in the coffeeshop,

3) Coffeeshops have great atmosphere and are great for social settings with friends.

4) You're guaranteed quality weed

Of course we would hope that the government would have the common sense to not drive smokers to dealers but I wouldn't be on it.

Hmm, if it were legalised, what age limit do you reckon would be placed? Or what would you deem suitable?

Smoking in the UK is 16, yet you have to be 18 to buy them, Does this mean weed would be the same, or would you class it as 18 because of alcohol?

In Holland you have to be 18 to buy or smoke it, cigs and Alcohol are both 16. Hard alcohol is 18. I think these are pretty reasonable limits.

Now I don't really have any experience with weed so I can't really formulate an opinion on it. One thing I would say; "Alcohol is worse and thats legal so weed should be too!!" is not a valid excuse. I bet if the government could get away with banning alcohol they would. It has caused a whole lot of problems which would not exist if it had been banned all along. Same with tobacco. But the fact is, they simply couldn't get away with doing it now.

They could get away with it but the same thing happens every time, like it did during prohibition in America. Alcohol consumption actually went up. Canadians actually smoke more than the Dutch even though weed is still illegal there. Some 40% of dutch people have never tried weed and I don't have any figures but I would happily bet that the overwhelming majority of the other 60% only smoke on occasions- weekends and such.

Basically, for you to get alcohol you have to be over 18 and the place you are getting it from needs to be licensed. That is how it is controlled.

Actually I was getting served in pubs when I was 14, and I know a guy who makes his own moonshine. I don't have to go to a licenced outlet, and even if I did they don't always stick to the rules.

The same as weed in amsterdam, you cant just walk in anywhere and get weed its only in certain places and you have to be old enough.

I do understand what you mean, but the problem is it doesn't matter about how controlled the selling is, it's the drinking that matters. However, I had the same as rokhed, I was able to buy alcohol and be in pubs considerably younger than the age limit, I've been drinking for at least 4 years illegal and easily. As I'm sure alot of us have. I do wonder if it would be the same with weed.

Oo that's interesting sanchez ^_^, however, I'm speaking just from my own experince and from people I know, most told me they'd buy from their own dealers because of the tax. Which makes alot of sense. However, it does also make sense that alot of people would rather go to a local store, than a local dealer.

I also agree with the limits, but what do you class as hard alcohol there?

I can't see what the problem would be with legalising weed, if not just to regulate the quality of it. It can be very detrimental to people's mental health but this really is no surprise due to the amount of chemicals and shit is pumped into it to increase the potency. If people want to smoke weed they should be allowed, this country is fast becoming a police state and their policies on drugs are absolutely ridiculous.

No and there should be more harsh sentances for users and dealers.