N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

very disappointed in Gus Hiddink's tactics last night.

His team was so negative and his aim was to get a 0-0 draw. Barca will score at the bridge no doubt. It will be a victory for football when Barca win.

Man Utd did the same last year when they played barca home and away. not as extreme as chelsea but still negative in there approach.

The English media reaction to this result just shows the difference compared to Spain and Holland. The english media are calling it a great result and how chelsea done a great job etc. If a Spanish team played how chelsea did last night the fans and the media would not accept it.

I was hoping that one english journalist would blast chelsea for their anti-football last night.

What is the point spending all these millions on quality players if you are just gonna defend for 90mins.

Edited by khilafah

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the match would have been happy with a 1-0. But dam we should have gone on and scored more. Almunia had a great game and made some vital saves. We looked pretty comfortable but just missed that cutting edge which could come back to haunt us next week. At least we didnt concede an away goal I guess. Overall I'm very pleased of course. I thought everyone had a good game.

At the end of the day the better side won (thankfully it was only by one), but it was a gutless performance by some of the players. Adebayor was absolutely ****, he bangs on about wanting to win trophies, well fight for them! Diaby kept giving the ball away, Nasri is wasted so deep.

Since Fabregas' return Wenger's team selections have been crap, whats wrong with 4-4-2?..

Got it all to do next week.. seems unlikely the way we've been bottling big games over the last few years.

Before tonight, I was expecting it to be a close game, with Arsenal making a go of it. In the end, I must say that I was very disappointed with the way that they approached the game, as it made for a fairly un-entertaining encounter.

I'm glad Manchester United won, but I'm a bit gutted that we didn't score more than one tonight. Almunia has kept Arsenal in the competition, imo, but only just. I thought Tevez was great tonight, Rooney and Ronaldo were both very disciplined and had mature performances. I also think our midfield fought really, really well, and this was were we nullified Arsenal's threat. Everyone tracked one, made tackles got stuck in. There were very few occasions where Arsenal had worked the ball into clear chances, and they were so, so narrow tonight.

It's hard to say who I think was United's best player tonight. I don't think anyone under-performed, but I was impressed with Darren Fletcher tonight. Worked very hard, and I'm proud of the whole team. :)

good ball retention by arsenal in the 2nd half. Just struggled to find a cutting edge!

i might be the only one but I seriously think Carrick is one of the most overated players in europe!

Well, it was magnified by the fact that they couldn't keep hold of it in the first half. I think United took their foot off the gas in the second half. If we had kept going like we had in the first, then we probably could have scored more.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion about Carrick, but I think he's worth his weight in gold. If football were a war, Carrick would be the player keeping a cool head in the middle of the battle field. Never goes lunging in, but is always there to break up play. He relies more on his positioning than he does his pace or strength. He can spot that killer pass from miles off, and can play both a simple or an effective long ball.

I think he's one of the best in the business. It's taken me a long time to understand how he plays or what he does, but for me he's one of the first names on the team-sheet. If Carrick plays well, Manchester United tend to play better as a team, that's what I find.

Ronaldo was not mature, you didn't see the fit he threw when that decision didn't go his way?

The way he played with the ball at his feet or tracking back was mature.

The way he reacted to that decision was immature. It's something he still needs to kick out of his game, but he's getting there, I feel. He needs to improve his sportsmanship. At the moment, I think that's what is holding him back from being "accepted" by fans and critics worldwide. He's a great player, and thankfully he still has time to rectify this problem.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

So I guess Henry is off in the summer..

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11881_5263310,00.html

Barcelona have reached an agreement with Bayern Munich to sign French star Franck Ribery, according to reports in Spain.

Ribery has been a long-term target for Barca and the Catalan giants are thought to have a struck a deal with Bayern to sign the 26-year-old winger this summer.

El Mundo Deportivo claims that representatives of the two clubs met with Ribery's agent Alain Migliaccio in Ibiza, agreeing a £30million cash-plus-player deal.

Bayern are believed to have accepted a fee of 25m Euros (£22.3m) plus the choice of either Aleksandr Hleb or Eidur Gudjohnsen, who are valued at 8m Euros (£7.1m).

Four-year deal

The France international has two years left on his Bayern contract and it is thought Barca have offered a four-year deal, although the club are yet to make an official announcement.

Manchester United and Real Madrid have also been linked with a big-money move for Ribery, who cost Bayern a club-record 25m Euros from Marseille in 2007.

Yeah Ribery was always gonna be using Bayern to go somewhere bigger although Bayern are a huge club in there own right. I think he only went there from Marseille as they offered him such a huge deal.

Barca would be a great move for him. playing on the left in a 4-3-3 will be very exciting!

after the season Eto'o has had I would be surprised. Even then if they sell Eto'o I think they will move in for David Villa.

Henry has had a good season as a Left Forward in a genuine 4-3-3 system. He has shown he can adapt his game but he will be 32 in August so if Barca wanna sell it has to be this summer.

Yeah, the defending for Madrid's 2nd was atrocious.

Their passing has been mindblowing, they could have had 10+ in this match, no joke.

Agreed mate. I don't think I've seen a team play this slick since Man United in their pomp at the beginning of the season.

I crave a Man.U Barca CL final now.

They've been unreal. 2-6. Unreal. (RM's defending has been poor at times though but credit to Barca, they've passed them to death.)

Today's game against Boro was interesting. Anderson, Carrick, Fletcher and Ronaldo didn't start or even feature today, and neither did Van Der Sar. Good move by Fergie to ensure that they're all fresh for the game against Arsenal.

The performance today was good, comfortable even. Apart from one moment in the first half, I don't think Boro tested Ben Foster at all. We looked good defensively, and we've re-learned how to defend as a unit again, which is what we needed. I thought both Scholes and Giggs were fantastic today. :)

Also, still can't believe that Barcelona scoreline every time I see it. There's baffling, and then there's absurd. Were Real Madrid that awful defensively, or were Barcelona just that good? Fucking hell.