Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

Best game of football i've ever seen. Wow.

The actual football was shit, constant hoofing, poor defending and awful keeper mistakes.

I'll give it good entertainment, but the footballing standard was shocking.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was quite a brilliant game, glad Chelsea won I think. Only thing is the amount of diving in that game detracted from the game. As Ramar said the football wasn't particularly great (although there were a few good things) but the entertainment was fantastic.

As a west brom fan, i go to be entertained :p

Great game for the neutral, even if i did want a Liverpool win.

I agree that there was some pretty scappy moments, but there were also some nicely constructed moves from both teams, and alex's belter was brilliant especially after the ball had just fizzed wide of the post from a similar position seconds earlier.

Well done Chelsea. Well done Liverpool. Well done football.

:yay:

Why would you watch football if you weren't entertained by it?

Don't tell me the reason you watched this game was because you were just interested in the result?

I really didn't put it across in a good way. A 1-0 win can be equally rewarding and probably better than a 4-0 thrashing. Goals don't always mean great football or mean I'll be entertained.

It's like when we drew 0-0 earlier in the season, my aunt turned round to me and said "bit pointless, why did you go?". But to be fair it was the best 0-0 I'd ever seen, and going and supporting the team is as important as the final result.

What a match tonight.

2-0 up for half time was perfect and we weren't even playing well. Then the Drog squeezed that one in and it all swung in Chelsea's favour... then two quick fire goals from the Pool and we were believing again but then Frank (what a legend) put the final nail in the coffin. I don't feel that bad about losing seeing as we really went for it. :)

I'm hoping for a Barcelona win now because Lionel Messi is king. :hehe:

^ Sounded like you were a supporter of both teams in that post :heh:

Yeah, I can be lenient towards Chelsea cos I like some of their players as well as Hiddink. :blush: However don't get me wrong, I definitely wanted Liverpool to win tonight! Seeing as we couldn't manage it in the end, it was still good to actually feel like we were in with a chance of turning it around. Going into the match 3-1 down and feeling like we were actually on the verge of winning the tie... a great effort on the pitch by the team.

Hmm, the game itself tonight was so very fucking strange. Definitely one of the strangest games I've seen in a while.

First off, Liverpool bossed the game, right from the start. I don't think Chelsea even had a shot on goal in that first half. The midfield was where they were winning, and it was Alonso who I thought was one of the stronger players at that start of the game.

They deserved to take a 2-0 lead. Earlier, minutes before the free-kick, I said to my housemate "why do teams loft the ball into the box from free-kicks? Play it along the ground. Chelsea did it at the weekend and scored." Then, Liverpool scored from a free-kick, which was along the lines of what I was thinking. Cech, who is normally a great keeper left a huge gap inviting that shot, and the rest of the Liverpool and Chelsea players were expecting the ball to be lofted in. Why do so many teams have to play so predictably nowadays? I was thankful to see the player take on the shot and score.

The penalty was...stupid. Stupid, awful defending (although, did anyone see Skyrtl (sp?) miss that shot..haha) and a deserved penalty. I don't care who you are, if you have your arms over an opposing player in your box, you deserve to give away a penalty. If that were one of my players, I'd be fucking fuming.

After half-time, I expected Chelsea to regroup, and they did. In the second half, they started playing like the home team, and the team still winning the tie. There were so many loose balls and terrible passes in the first half from Chelsea, but they played about a billion times better in the second.

The ending was thrilling. But, there has to be some serious cases of suspect defending. If I were Liverpool, I would be kicking myself, because each one of the goals they conceded tonight, and perhaps in the first leg were avoidable. I didn't think they'd score 4 at Stamford Bridge tonight, but they did. Yes, it was a great effort, but if they had defended better, they could be the team going through. 2 nil up at half time to then draw the game...hmm. As a spectator, it was thrilling. But, Chelsea will need to tighten up in the next round...or Barcelona will eat them alive.

That was the most entertaining game I've watched in a long long time. Awesome stuff. I must say though, if I was either manager I would be going crazy at my defence.

Cech was once superb, he's really gone off the boil and looked unconfident throughout the whole match.

I was happy with the result, I haven't got anything against Liverpool supporters, I just can't stand Rafa.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!