Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2008/2009

Ramar

Ramar you didn't expect Bayern Munich to lose?

After the initial worries what with Torres's goal and the first pressure put on by liverpool, Cech had barely anything to worry about! Which was surprising. It was a much more exciting and open game than I thought, since usually it can be a very tight game between these 2 teams.

Ivanovic came through which was nice because I've always rated him when he came. Cost us about 11million so he should be half decent! Drogba should have gotten some more. Alonso's shot at the end was pretty good considering it came out of nothing.

Shall be an interesting second leg, we don't have Terry but we have Carvalho (something like that) back and I think hes awesome so its all good! Exciting stuff tonight and last night. Good ol Champions league :)

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well fuck me. I was predicting a 2-1 the other way, certainly not a 3-1 victory! Immense. The Terry booking kinda loses its' harshness a little now that he's not as vital as he would have been if we weren't going in to it in the lead. Was still a ridiculous booking though.

I think Babel should have come on earlier, as I didn't really see the point in bringing on Dossena once the team were already 3-1 down. Maybe it was to stop further conceding any goals, or to protect Aurellio who was on a yellow?

Chelsea, on the other hand, bought on Anelka in place of Drogba after he had scored. I think they wanted it more, particularly in that second half.

Looks like it'll be tough games for both Liverpool and Manchester United then. An English team has never won against Porto at their ground (I think I have that right) and Chelsea will need a huge defensive blunder or three to concede that many goals at home.

I couldnt really say too be honest. I wanted Aurellio off as he was making too many mistakes. I have defended Dossena before, saying he is an attacking defender but when he came on his was just bad touch after bad touch.

Babel I think is too hit and miss with his performances and the way he runs at the defences sometimes makes it look like he thinks he is better than he actually is.

After the initial worries what with Torres's goal and the first pressure put on by liverpool, Cech had barely anything to worry about! Which was surprising. It was a much more exciting and open game than I thought, since usually it can be a very tight game between these 2 teams.

Ivanovic came through which was nice because I've always rated him when he came. Cost us about 11million so he should be half decent! Drogba should have gotten some more. Alonso's shot at the end was pretty good considering it came out of nothing.

Shall be an interesting second leg, we don't have Terry but we have Carvalho (something like that) back and I think hes awesome so its all good! Exciting stuff tonight and last night. Good ol Champions league :)

Ivanovic is one of these quiet players, like Alex, who I've not really seen enough of to make a proper judgement. Two goals against Liverpool at Anfield is definitely one way to get others to notice you, though.

Well fuck me. I was predicting a 2-1 the other way, certainly not a 3-1 victory! Immense. The Terry booking kinda loses its' harshness a little now that he's not as vital as he would have been if we weren't going in to it in the lead. Was still a ridiculous booking though.

My prediction was right in a few ways, and off in others. I thought if Chelsea grabbed a hold of the game, they could sneak a goal. After they conceded, they did push forward and grab control of the game, although I thought the game would only finish one-nil. There could have been about 10 goals in this game.

I think the Terry booking could still play a part, mind. Carvalho is a great defender, but if Torres can do his usual business and bully defenders, they might have a chance.

I couldnt really say too be honest. I wanted Aurellio off as he was making too many mistakes. I have defended Dossena before, saying he is an attacking defender but when he came on his was just bad touch after bad touch.

Babel I think is too hit and miss with his performances and the way he runs at the defences sometimes makes it look like he thinks he is better than he actually is.

Again, like those Chelsea players I've mentioned, I don't know too much about Dossena. I don't really rate any of Liverpool's fullbacks, and I still think it's an area they will still try to sort out in preparation for next season.

Babel is a bit like Nani, in some respect, although I think Babel has probably played better so far. They both need to get a decent run of games in order to improve. Vidic was the same when he came to United. At times, he was downright awful. Then, the more games he played, the more at ease he became, and now he's one of the best centre-backs in the world.

On another note, I think Chelsea did very well, particularly as the game went on, to stop the flow of service getting to Torres and maybe Gerrard, too. They had chances, but this dwindled as the game went by. On the other side of the coin, Chelsea provided some great service to exploit Liverpool, particularly with that third goal. They also showed the dangers again of marking zonally. One thing I've criticised Manchester United about really is the lack of service to the strikers up top, so I really hope that the team have seen this game today, and the Barcelona game, to show how we should be beating teams.

I thought Essien was outstanding tonight, and completely marked Gerrard out of the game. He's the type of player we're missing at the moment, with that bite in midfield. Our biggest loss this season has been the absence of Owen Hargreaves, as he and Essien are very similar in what they do.

Edited by Fierce_LiNk

Whats so crazy about the Barcelona vs Munich match is Munich's kerkyl and hyde form. They destroyed Sporting Lisbon, they got destroyed by Wolfsburg at the weekend, and now hammered by Barcelona. Klinnsmann's neck could be on the line.

Copy Pasta from 30 minutes ago.

I didn't expect them to lose by so much.

[Ninja Edit - Would appear my first post did get posted...]

Edited by Ramar
Automerged Doublepost - Forum screwed me over!

I predicted 3-1... oops. :( I mean, what the hell Chelsea?! You weren't meant to play that good! When we went a goal up it was all going to plan, figured we'd pretty much control the game and hopefully get a second goal and maybe a third if it Chelsea tired. However, we scored and then gave up. :wtf: Chelsea fizzed the ball around and deserved the win. Would have been nice if the Lamp had scored a trademark 30 yarder. :heh:

We've it all to do next week. Guus Hiddink is class.

It started so well.. but when Chelsea started dominating like they did I was fearful (and the fear was, unfortunately, justified :hmm:)

Without a doubt, that's the best I have seen Chelsea play in ages and the most difficult opposition Liverpool have had to face all season.. and with the night Aurelio, Riera and Skrtel were having the writing was on the wall!

Chelsea deserved it tonight and 3-1 was probably about right unfortunately. Liverpool need at least 3 now at Stamford Bridge so it's a tall order.. but it does mean that the second leg could be very explosive! We need to go for the kill from the start.. hopefully an early goal or 2 will set the place on fire :heh:

As another point, I commented earlier saying I hadn't watched enough of Lucas Leiva to form a real opinion on him.. well, I saw enough tonight really, nothing to impress me at all and seems to lack the spirit and ability of Mascherano.

Edited by nekunando

Probably our best game for the season perhaps? Obviously not the start but after that we dominated and looked in control.

Flinky is right, Essien had complete control over Gerrard later on, he always picked him up tight in our last 3rd and just always seemed to be there.

I also paid attention to Lucas because you were all moaning about him. I agree, hes pretty shocking. So was erm Dossena.

I'm one league ticket away from having a ticket for every home league match this year. Just bought my ticket for the Chelsea game on May 9th. Set me back 55 squid which isn't bad. Also got a ticket for the Villareal match yesterday, if we progress and I get a semi final ticket and a ticket for Stoke (last game of the season) then I'll have been to every game at the Emirates this season.

At the end I think I should tally up how much I've spent and see how it correlates to season ticket prices.

Gutted I can't get a ticket for Wembley.. though it's expected. We were given 30,000 tickets when we have 42,000 season ticket holders.

Why would any of the Liverpool players think about the Blackburn game.. the game last night was far bigger than the Blackburn game. IMO before last night Liverpool had a bigger chance of winning the Champions League than the League, now I reckon they'll go trophyless.

To be honest, it was just a matter of Chelsea being better on the night.. they were very good! All you can do is hold your hands up.. but I still have faith we can turn it round (though it is going to be very difficult)

As for the Blackburn game, it has just got a lot harder :hmm: I was already a little worried about it as they seem like the sort of team that could provide a stumbling block to Liverpool's title charge but with the confidence presumably dented from last night, a good result is far from a formality! I disagree, though, that Liverpool would have been thinking of that game.. there's no way they were not 100% focused on the Champions League and it would be ludicrous to think otherwise!

Benitez had this coming. His constant crowing and attacks on Man Utd were getting very tiresome, and now the smile has been wiped off his face.

Yeah I was reading about the latest Rafa rant yesterday lunchtime in the paper... I had a feeling there would be another bad reaction to it on the pitch. :( Chelsea basically did to us what we did to United the other week. Maybe we needed taking down a peg or two, could fire us up again.

Yeah I was reading about the latest Rafa rant yesterday lunchtime in the paper... I had a feeling there would be another bad reaction to it on the pitch. :( Chelsea basically did to us what we did to United the other week. Maybe we needed taking down a peg or two, could fire us up again.

I actually feel he's harming the team with his rants. Also, with the slip on wednesday it does put Liverpool in for a chance of another trophy-less season - and after all the back room drama and Rafa rantings, that's not too good.

Didn't see the game, but beating Blackburn definately helps us if we've got any chance of stopping up icon14.gif

Whats is it with Liverpool and 4 goals. I only want 1 maybe 2 from my boys in blue an white (yellow today) :(

Come on you BAGGIES

Anyone see Torres' first goal today? Absolutely brilliant!

Didn't get to see the match today but I hear it was outstanding. I'll catch it later on Match of the Day so let's hope it lives up to the expectations set by Dyson:

Torres' first goal was a real stunner. Candidate for GotM, I think so.

:heh:

Come on Sunderland. Get a point, please.

bloody hell, Bolton are doing a damn good job trying to peg back Chelsea

From 4-0 down to come back to 4-3...so 3 goals can be scored against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Take note, Liverpool.

I'm chuffed with the win against Sunderland. We should have made more of some of our chances, but I'm pleased with Macheda getting the winner, a minute or so after he came on. He's our lucky charm. Exactly what we need at the moment.

From 4-0 down to come back to 4-3...so 3 goals can be scored against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Take note, Liverpool.

Don't say that, that's exactly the kind of thing I don't need to hear right now after conceding 3 goals in 8 minutes. Squeaky bum time!

The good news is that Bolton were the ones that exploited whatever the problem was in our defence, giving us time to patch it up before the game against Liverpool.

Our offence is looking very strong at the moment though, they sure are performing.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!