NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

http://www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10278~1383045,00.html

"Kevin Keegan - Official NUFC Statement

NEWCASTLE United can confirm that meetings between members of the Board and manager Kevin Keegan were held both yesterday and today.

Kevin has raised a number of issues and those have been discussed with him.

The Club wants to keep progressing with its long-term strategy and would like to stress that Kevin is extremely important, both now and in the future.

Newcastle United values the effort and commitment shown by Kevin since his return to St. James' Park and wants him to continue to play an instrumental role as manager of the Club.

For the avoidance of doubt the Club has not sacked Kevin Keegan as manager."

Okay, then.

AFAIK:

This has come from an employee of Newcastle from the Newcastle boards:

Basically yesterday Keegan had no knowledge of the Barton perspective deal. He was fuming and headed for talks with Mike Ashley regarding Barton, Milner & Owen. In the meantime under KK's instructions Barton was told to say he wanted to stay to repay the club and fans. This led to today's meeting with Ashley, Keegan, Wise & the new chairman. Keegan was sacked and pay off agreed then word got out and fans started to gather and protest. Ashley being a very astute business man has since hoyed more £ at Keegan to stay on, knowing their would be a hell of a fans backlash. This is far from finished though...

Fan power has kept the man his job & the geordies need a pat on the back for that.

AFAIK:

This has come from an employee of Newcastle from the Newcastle boards:

Basically yesterday Keegan had no knowledge of the Barton perspective deal. He was fuming and headed for talks with Mike Ashley regarding Barton, Milner & Owen. In the meantime under KK's instructions Barton was told to say he wanted to stay to repay the club and fans. This led to today's meeting with Ashley, Keegan, Wise & the new chairman. Keegan was sacked and pay off agreed then word got out and fans started to gather and protest. Ashley being a very astute business man has since hoyed more £ at Keegan to stay on, knowing their would be a hell of a fans backlash. This is far from finished though...

Fan power has kept the man his job & the geordies need a pat on the back for that.

But he is he such a hero if he returned for a price? Surely should have just stayed on as was...

But he is he such a hero if he returned for a price? Surely should have just stayed on as was...

tapedeck says he got sacked. You can't stay on if you get sacked.

Money talks. Obviously.

KK has a couple of business and may need the money?! I'd like to see Wise walk.

Money talks. Obviously.

KK has a couple of business and may need the money?! I'd like to see Wise walk.

You'd like to think the passionate, fiery KK would not care about the money... This is the man that quit the England job in a toilet at Wembley, I guess every man has his price.

I doubt we will hear a word from Wise he has been very quiet ever since he was appointed....

See that press release doesn't say he hasn't left just that they haven't sacked him.

Yeah but it says he is an important part of the future...either way what ever is going on there is a total fuck up. Guess we won't truly know until we see him in the dugout for their next game. Because anything could happen between now and then

It's like a circus atm.

I was just listening to the local call in with the 3 legends (ex Boro,Sunderland and Newcastle players) and it was epic. They had to stop a good few callers short due to the torrent of abuse. More songs were played tonight than previous. Some callers deserve to be ringtones such as "Newcastle for the title when we're bought out by Abu Dhabi types".

Priceless.

I do believe now we are entering a dark time for football. With word of this Abu Dhabi consortium preparing to bid $250m for Ronaldo in January things can only get worse.

Maybe I'm blinded by a Wenger philosophy. But surely throwing all this money into the league is going to help no one.

I do believe now we are entering a dark time for football. With word of this Abu Dhabi consortium preparing to bid $250m for Ronaldo in January things can only get worse.

Maybe I'm blinded by a Wenger philosophy. But surely throwing all this money into the league is going to help no one.

I agree...this is something I just posted on the pompey boards when someone said something had to be done...

The only thing with Salary Caps is I think this is kinda what they would want? I mean foreign owners...as then they wouldn't having such a massive outlay on wages and would therefore be retaining a much larger percentage of the profits? Look at us for starters and how much our wages increased. I'm not saying its a bad idea but is by no means a means to completely solve things.

Also how would such a system work? obviously basing it on a percentage of your income still favours the bigger teams with the worldwide profiles? But also take for instance like you say it would have to be implemented globally, but some countries poorer than others it would again favour the richer countries. Or am I missing the point? Is the idea of a salary cap not to help level the playing field but to help restore some kind of sense to football....

I'm pretty much just typing as I articulate the ideas floating in my head....

One thing I think is certain if English teams continue to dominate in Europe we can be pretty sure Platini and other major European leagues will start to float around various ideas. Platini will not be happy with english domination what with his new idea of the champions league being a more inclusive tournament for the whole of europe.

I am happy for City Fans gives them renewed optimism, I think they may struggle to bring in world class players on mass as they to expect they can. Chelsea have largely, think how many top top players they have been linked with a failed to get. 18 players they are reportedly after could be pie in the sky and paper talk but considering how much this investment group seem to be bigging up themselves it seems likely they want to do it...

Where this leaves us the common fan who have supported their birthplace with vigour and passion for all these years god knows... The death of football perhaps not quite but another lurge in a very dangerous direction definitely...

A salary cap will have to come at some point. But I honestly don't see the Premier League intervening not after the shit they spouted about 'Game 39' and tapping into foreign markets.

The current problem with the Premier League is we've got the wrong people in charge, we've got businessmen, and not football men. Looking at the league now its disappointing to think their has been true heroes who got nothing compared to what some mercernaries are getting today. I don't honestly know how long football can continue to go on increasing, at some point fans aren't going to be able to afford to attend games. Then the league will fall flat on its face.

Sounds like Keegan had a row with Llambias about signings without Ashley present, Llambias sacked him (probably overstepping his authority in doing so) and Ashley has been trying to get him back since then.

*MU supporter*

I don't know whether or not it's good or not for MU to have got Berbatov. Yeah he's a quality player and will kick ass, but they didn't really deserve to take him did they?

Isn't the Abu Dhabi consortium an investment group. Won't they be expecting to make a return?

I don't really get what their motives are otherwise. Chelsea is basically Abramovich's play thing, he is a football fan himself after all.

Isn't the Abu Dhabi consortium an investment group. Won't they be expecting to make a return?

I don't really get what their motives are otherwise. Chelsea is basically Abramovich's play thing, he is a football fan himself after all.

Quoted for truth.

*MU supporter*

I don't know whether or not it's good or not for MU to have got Berbatov. Yeah he's a quality player and will kick ass, but they didn't really deserve to take him did they?

why not? They paid the money, the player wanted to go there.

*MU supporter*

ermmm yes.

But it's not about deserving.

Actually before he went spurs we were interested in him but left it too late again to put in a bid and spurs snapped him up.

He wanted to leave spurs, we wanted to buy him, Fee was agreed. It's all dandy.

On MUTV tonight berba said it's not about money, if it was he would have accpeted the city bid. He is at united cos it's his dream to play for us. We are the biggest club in the world and he wants to play and win trophies with us. Sounds good to me. Welcome aboard.

Yeah but M.City outbid them so it is only fair for them to have him right. Or can Berbatov recline that bid and go where he wants? (MU pretty much grabbed him)

Edit: just saw your post Obi

Yeah, great I'm all for it, and I can see him scoring quality goals. When is his debut?

Yeah but M.City outbid them so it is only fair for them to have him right. Or can Berbatov recline that bid and go where he wants? (MU pretty much grabbed him)

The Clubs agreed a fee. But the player does not have to agree personal terms.

In the case of Berbatov he didnt even meet with City to see what they had to say. Hughes said he was trying to contact the agent but could get no response. Then thats when they went crazy and started to bid on every man and his dog.

His debut will most likey be our next premiership game against Liverpool.

They are making such ridiculous profits that it City are nothing but a toy to them. Any profit City could make will be nothing to them.

What they could propose is something like at minimum of 8 players within the 18 ever selected must comply to UEFA's "Home Grown" policy, they have been trying to push that to domestic leagues for a while anyway.

They are making such ridiculous profits that it City are nothing but a toy to them. Any profit City could make will be nothing to them.

What they could propose is something like at minimum of 8 players within the 18 ever selected must comply to UEFA's "Home Grown" policy, they have been trying to push that to domestic leagues for a while anyway.

That Home Grown rule the one where a player must either be born in the country or spent 3 years in the academy? If so I wouldn't mind seeing that coming in, though I do oppose the 6+5 rule.

At the end of the day. Sky and Setanta need to stop pumping tv money in, matches need to return to 3pm kick offs. And clubs need to be able to run on their own books. The amount of clubs in debt in the Premier League is astounding.

I read somewhere in the last 3 or 4 years only Arsenal and Blackburn have made net profits on transfer dealings. Thats's just crazy.

What worse is the money thats been spent on Robinho could save so many clubs in the Football League, and the FA seems to not give a shit about them. Without the foundations, the peak will topple.

Home grown is the way football should go. With a sprinkling of outer-bought players.

One thing which gives me faith in football is the outlook on the Man City deal by fellow footballing clubs/fans. Pretty much all club fans (bar Man City!) believe this to be a bad thing for football in general and further evidence that football is going away from being something with heart and soul.

For all I'm not the biggest supporter of Harry Redknapp,and goodness knows he has flaws, I'll use him as an example of decent footballing management...

He has worked on a stringent budget (one which isn't in line with the top 4) and has mounted a serious challenge in both individual games and in cups. He has also bought home-grown talent and gained some diamonds in the rough. This is good management. Now Harrys work looks pointeless and stupid. Why break your balls working hard on the pitch when, if you know the right people off the pitch, you can become an overnight sensation with every foreigner "loving" your club due to their investors.

As much as people say everyone loves the EPL, there are many who hate it. I figure it will eventually become a hated, despised league littered with indecency, mass money payouts and transfers with little to no sportsmanship, humane conduct nor respect for fellow clubs. Oh, sorry, it's like that already!

It's hard to be a fan when you just think to yourself "who has the most money is going to be there or thereabouts." And although some people I know have pointed out that Chelsea won nothing last year, both the money and prestige they got for doing as well as they did, is something most clubs can only ever dream of.

I guess the league has been going like this for a good ten years now yet it's days like these when you feel that the true fans (Like Ramar said) are being wholly shafted and are buying into a dream, whih underneath it all, is nothing but a plastic "business".

To me, success only feels like success when it's earned. Not when it's handed to you on a plate. (And that's the reason I feel a lot of fans/clubs outside of the EPL and CCC hate the league systems in place.) But success, as fake as it is is better than no success to many no? it's a catch 22 situation. Sadly strangling all the smaller clubs.

LOST?

Not this shite again. NUFC are a laughing stock at the moment. You're barely in the position to slag off Sunderland. But yeah, did you hear...

Newcastles nativity play has been cancelled?

The Shepard ran away last year, there's only one wise man, 11 donkeys, and sadly the Messiah has gone missing.

See, this slagging match is easy, no? We've been here before...