NEurope
Ramar

Football Season 2008/2009

Teehee :laughing:

It just leaves you wondering how one of the best refs that europe has to offer can make such bad decisions consistantly throughout the game.

As you said flink, platini has got a none english team in the final just as he wanted. it will be interesting to hear Uefa's take on the refereeing, but i'm betting they'll say there was nothing wrong with it.

start the conspiracy theory

This is exactly why big matches like this need high spec referee's who referee big games for a living and not little league ref's who do a big match like this once in a while.

Teehee :laughing:

It just leaves you wondering how one of the best refs that europe has to offer can make such bad decisions consistantly throughout the game.

As you said flink, platini has got a none english team in the final just as he wanted. it will be interesting to hear Uefa's take on the refereeing, but i'm betting they'll say there was nothing wrong with it.

start the conspiracy theory

UEFA will defend the referee, because they have to, I feel. The game has finished, and Barcelona are through, there's nothing that can be done about that. I'm betting they'll play it down and just quietly brush it under the carpet.

This is exactly why big matches like this need high spec referee's who referee big games for a living and not little league ref's who do a big match like this once in a while.

To tell you the truth, no matter how good a referee is, they can only be in one place at a time. You'll be hard-pressed to find a referee who never make bad calls, or have games where it just seems as if they're making too many or too few decisions. The only thing I think we can ask for is consistency. One bad decision, you can live with, but when it's repeated, then that's when the fans get on your back.

We nullified the threat of Messi

Really? As far as I could Messi just didn't turn up, whenever he did get past someone he just put in a poor ball or ran into the man in front of him.

Games like this really make it seem absurd that video replay technology isn't used in some respects in the game. I know UEFA/FIFA are against it because it disrupts play but it would even out because diving would be taken out as players know they would be called up on it, if not during the game, after it. Players like Darren Fletcher would have been able to rest easy 2 nights ago as he knew he got the ball and the video would prove that.

To tell you the truth, no matter how good a referee is, they can only be in one place at a time. You'll be hard-pressed to find a referee who never make bad calls, or have games where it just seems as if they're making too many or too few decisions. The only thing I think we can ask for is consistency. One bad decision, you can live with, but when it's repeated, then that's when the fans get on your back.

So you're saying his inconsistency can be excused?

So you're saying his inconsistency can be excused?

No, that's not what I'm implying at all. What I'm saying is infact the opposite. Asking a referee to get every decision right all of the time is impossible, for many reasons. Humans are prone to mistakes, the angle the referee sees the offence at, maybe he's not in a good position to see that one offence, etc. There are many reasons why sometimes referees do not give the calls. You also have to realise that they see these things quickly, in real-time, and they don't have the benefit of replays like we do.

What I said was:

The only thing I think we can ask for is consistency.

By that, I mean consistent in a good way. The referee last night was consistently awful.

Missing a foul or one particular moment is sometimes forgiveable, but when you miss it multiple times, that's what you have to question the consistency of the referee. At this level, you can't have referees who miss that many calls as the one last night.

Wasn't the ref in pretty much bad positions for all the big parts of the game what you could say shaped it up. But really I think Chelsea should have gotten on with the game, that's the reason they conceded in my opinion, they probably lost their focus.

Edited by Emerald Emblem

..well, after the late goal from Iniesta last night I went out and got myself a Barcelona shirt for the final..

Referee-SS-Onix-Infrered.jpg

We all know what really decided the match. The Drogba miss, just a dink and it was goal 2 but he didn't.

The referee on Tuesday was just as bad if not worse and he is the top referee in Italy. So it's a moot point really.

I don't know the details as following football is pr0 boring... But after watching the replays of the controversial moments, I was convinced the ref was being a complete tool.

It was a harsh game for Chelsea sure, but you need to get over the referee bit. It wasn't exactly as important as Chelsea's attitude in both games.

What kind of argument is that? Firstly JonSt agrees with me, last time I checked he wasn't an Arsenal fan.

Then lets look at the pundits, we've got Andy Townsend, the man's an absolute joke, the high of his career is winning the league cup and pretending to be Irish.

Jens Lehmann, a legend in his right, but he's a player, not a pundit. Teddy Sheringham, a twat but he's not a pundit, hasn't made a career of spectating and anaylising the game now has he.

Steve Rider was host if I remember correctly, hardly known for his excellent breakdown of football, isn't motorsport more his hand?..

The only reason people are complaining is because he'll miss the final for the foul. If it was a league game, they'd be no fuss.

Right, I know this is a couple of pages ago now, but seriously... you're deluding yourself. Read any report on the internet about the match and even Arsene Wenger admits that it was a 'very harsh' decision to send him off. And you KNOW that when he says something is harsh, then it is harsh.

When it is you, an arsenal fan, against everyone else who has seen the replay, including the oppostion manager, you have to admit that you are just dead wrong.

Plus, you can shit all over those pundits if you like but they have made a living out of football, and know the game better than most because they've played it all their lives and will have spent hours and hours watching videos, training and learning about the game. Calling them bad pundits is just ignorant on your part.

Seriously, it annoys me when people refuse admit they're wrong when literally everyone in the game disagrees with them.

Moving on: there may be hope for Fletcher as a bloke from UEFA says that they will be able to appeal, but Ferguson isn't optimistic apparently. Still, there's hope, and I just hope that he gets a chance to play. Be a real shame if he couldn't play in this huge game...

They should only let Fletcher off, if they let Abidal off. Which they wont.

Right, I know this is a couple of pages ago now, but seriously... you're deluding yourself. Read any report on the internet about the match and even Arsene Wenger admits that it was a 'very harsh' decision to send him off. And you KNOW that when he says something is harsh, then it is harsh.

When it is you, an arsenal fan, against everyone else who has seen the replay, including the oppostion manager, you have to admit that you are just dead wrong.

Plus, you can shit all over those pundits if you like but they have made a living out of football, and know the game better than most because they've played it all their lives and will have spent hours and hours watching videos, training and learning about the game. Calling them bad pundits is just ignorant on your part.

Seriously, it annoys me when people refuse admit they're wrong when literally everyone in the game disagrees with them.

Moving on: there may be hope for Fletcher as a bloke from UEFA says that they will be able to appeal, but Ferguson isn't optimistic apparently. Still, there's hope, and I just hope that he gets a chance to play. Be a real shame if he couldn't play in this huge game...

If Fletcher plays in that final, it will make a mockery of the game. Whether you think he should have been sent off or not is does not matter. There are clear rules that state you cannot appeal unless it is mistaken identity. Then again, it is Man Utd and they tend to get what they want.

They should only let Fletcher off, if they let Abidal off. Which they wont.

They both should get let off, but I'm really expecting neither to. Although, you can definitely expect UEFA to slap some form of punishment on Drogba or Chelsea, so it's fine to retrospectively punish a player, yet seemingly impossible to reprieve one.

I think the only thing any fan can hope for is if UEFA rectify the rules for next year, maybe. No matter whose team it is, I'd feel sorry to know that a player couldn't play in the final over a harsh decision. Except maybe if that man is John Arnie Riise. Don't ask why, I just don't like him.:heh:

But that's not the point in terms of if he should be allowed to play or not. The rules are that you can't appeal. Now I disagree with the rules and I think they should be changed, but you can't change the rules half way through the compeition because it's Man U, it's the final and it was a dodgy decision. What happens to the people who've been banned already earlier on in the compeition and served their bans because there was no appeal process? What if those people had played and changed the course of the game? if the rules are going to be changed, they need to be changed for next year, not half way through just because the rule's had a negative impact on a big team.

^He speaks the truth.

Fletcher should not play. Abidal should not play. Simple as that. Otherwise Uefa would have to be accused of favouritism..?

If they consider changing them for next years competition thats fair enough.

In my oppinion, if they wan't to change any rule, they should introduce a post match card for uber discent and diving. That should stamp out the whining bitches and blatent cheaters.

mind then we wouldn't be able to laugh at stuff like pedersens dive so....

Yeah, I think it's very unlikely that anything will be changed at this present moment. Even Ferguson himself isn't holding out on much hope. What I do think we'll see maybe is something changing next season, because it can only be a good thing, I think.

So a Man United, Barca final then. Can't wait for this game and i'm sure it's the game most neutrals wanted to see. You just can't help but admire the way Barcelona play... it's football at it's best in my opinion.

As for the Chelsea game; I've never cheered as loudly for a team that wasn't my own. Partly down to the fact I could envisage the dejected face of on an arrogant Chelsea fan at our school, and partly because Barca got through -saving me from watching Chelsea's yawn-inducing football in the final.

Sorry if I put my case across badly, let me clarify what I meant...

What I was arguing for was that Ramar was saying that it certainly was a red card. I was just showing that everyone in the game thought that is was not; not only those in the studio, but both managers. I was pointing out that if he was the only person who thought it was a fair decision, that may be because he was an Arsenal fan and he refused to admit he was wrong.

I think that it was a bad decision by the referee and I agree that the rule should be changed to allow for an appeal next year. I do not think that it would be fair to let one player or the other play in the final on an appeal. If both decisions were revoked by the refs admitting they had made mistakes that would be okay I suppose, but not through any other means.

That being said, however, and from a personal point of view, I feel that both cards were very harsh and they they should both be allowed to appeal, whatever the rules. It's a huge game for both players and they should both be given a chance, because they were both punished by bad decisions.

I know this will not happen, and if that is the case that is fine because they have followed the rules. Still, Fletcher certainly didn't deserve the red (as shown by the sheer number of knowledgeable people saying it wasn't) and most would agree that Adibal didn't either, so I suppose in terms of fairness and following the rules of the game, neither should be suspended because neither of the cards were fair.