Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PAT testing.

Wesley

What the frak? I'm just signing forms for accommodation and I had to get both my folks for guarantors. Stupid idea. I hate my folks. Anyway, they of course went through every little detail that was in my contract and are playing hell over a part that claims all electrical items must be PAT tested.

My Mother is acting like it's the world's worst thing in the world, while my step-Father is telling me I will get sued for hundreds of thousands of pounds; when my XBox or phone charger or some shit, will break out in flames like the Fantastic Four never went out of fashion, and kills everyone.

Anyway, anyone come across this before? What did you do, if anything?

My work PAT tests everything. Only takes a few minutes and you get a nice little sticker on the plug saying that it's safe.

I think most employers will do it now for health and safety so I guess it's the same for accomodation.

But most things like TV, games consoles etc will already be PAT tested when made.

However, If they require you to do it I would get it done. Better to be safe than sorry.

PAT testing needs to be done every 12 months. It cant be guarenteed from new as the cables may have been damaged since you bough it.

I have no idea how you go about getting it done for personal use as ive only ever had nit done when living in millitary acomadation.

What the frak? I'm just signing forms for accommodation and I had to get both my folks for guarantors. Stupid idea. I hate my folks. Anyway, they of course went through every little detail that was in my contract and are playing hell over a part that claims all electrical items must be PAT tested.

My Mother is acting like it's the world's worst thing in the world, while my step-Father is telling me I will get sued for hundreds of thousands of pounds; when my XBox or phone charger or some shit, will break out in flames like the Fantastic Four never went out of fashion, and kills everyone.

Anyway, anyone come across this before? What did you do, if anything?

I agree with platty, it tends to involve the actual plug rather than the item. Which I think should be done by the uni/owner of the block of flats etc, not you, I've never heard of it being you who has to do it rather than the owner and would steer clear heh! Though I don't see why it'd hurt to ask either the uni/owner about it and see what they say.

I've never heard of it being needed for electricals like phone chargers etc, so I don't think there's a huge need to panic.

My work PAT tests everything. Only takes a few minutes and you get a nice little sticker on the plug saying that it's safe.

I think most employers will do it now for health and safety so I guess it's the same for accomodation.

But most things like TV, games consoles etc will already be PAT tested when made.

However, If they require you to do it I would get it done. Better to be safe than sorry.

Yeah my work does it. They don't require you to get it done in residential buildings. Unless your being overly stupid, modding things or being silly with extension cables and using lots of things at once you WILL NOT have a problem.

Work places usually do it to cover themselves in event of electrical faults and stuff in the work place. What with all the sue culture we have, they are liable if something goes wrong.

And yeah, most products are electrically tested, they can't be sold unless they are.

There is probably just as much chance as the building you will be staying in falling to pieces than one of ur eletrical items blowing up. And anyway isn't that why fuses were invented ;)

I don't know a single friend who is goin uni who has had there stuff pac tested.

Yeah I don't think anybody does. I think maybe uni will have a facility to do so but...nah nobody does.

Although my iPod speaker system is PAT tested. I kept it at work when I worked there and someone came in to PAT test everything and included that. Nice to know its safe.

Guest bluey

*stops laughing for a second*

......haaah!!! PAT testing! ehehehehe.....

DONT DO IT MAN!!! your electrical goods should be free to roam wild, hunt for food and blow up in your face as nature intended!! FIGHT THE POWAH!!!! O_O!

*stops laughing for a second*

......haaah!!! PAT testing! ehehehehe.....

DONT DO IT MAN!!! your electrical goods should be free to roam wild, hunt for food and blow up in your face as nature intended!! FIGHT THE POWAH!!!! O_O!

Hehe, that gave me a good little chuckle.

Well, it looks like my over-obsessive step-Father is going to ensure everything I take is PAT tested. Yay to go there... :indeed: