N-Europe

Fuel Prices ~ Pipe Line Card

Kirkatronics

Save money on petrol & diesel with a free Pipeline Card!

All those involved in the oil business are getting their cut from the inflated prices we're paying on the forecourts - the oil-well owners, refineries and filling stations. In February of this year Shell announced record annual profits of $25.36 BILLION. On top of that the government siphons off nearly 70% of the price you pay in tax.

These organisations behave as if petrol and diesel are luxury goods, and driving is a hobby. We are not 'motorists' as the media like to call us. We are teachers, nurses, workers and parents! WE DRIVE BECAUSE WE HAVE TO - NOT BECAUSE WE WANT TO!

There are nearly 32 million of us in the UK. If a large number of us stand together and chose to give all our custom to one major forecourt chain, we could negotiate a substantial discount for ourselves. PIPELINE CARD was established to achieve that and we already have over 500,000 supporters. It's a great start but we have learnt, to our cost, that it's not enough to make them budge. So we need more members...

It costs absolutely nothing to join, but by joining Pipeline Card today you strengthen our clout as well as making yourself eligible to buy fuel at a discount. By telling other drivers about this website you can make that happen sooner - and do them a favour into the bargain.

btn_join_pipeline.gif btn_tell_me_more.gif

You are an idiot. Sorry, i don't want to insult you but that post is 90% stupid.

Yes, like every other commodity the price of oil is determined by supply and demand, but the idea behind this scheme is as a loyalty card. Basically the members of this scheme would be increasing a petrol company's revenues by all purchasing from the same company. In return they are after a small cut of the profit in the form of a discount.

That makes perfect sense. There is a HUGE amount of profit in Petrol and Diesel! To give you an idea, the Venezuelan gouvernment can supply petrol to it's people at 5p/litre. They charge for manufacture and distribution costs, nothing more. Add on to that the price of the raw oil ($138.14/bbl or $1.16/litre, £0.59/litre) and the extra distribution costs for shipping it over here and you still won't be anywhere near the 20p/litre mark. The remaining £1 or so per litre is profit and tax.

The slice of that "profit" that the goverment snatches comes back to benefit us. The slice that the oil companies take doesn't. The tax on fuel, alcohol and tobacco is going up because consumers are spending less, meaning the government is getting less from VAT. Do you have a better way for them to get the money?

I do think that the petrol tax and car tax increases are a tad unfair on business travel though. Personally i think that if your business depends on transport then you should be getting a little bit of tax relief (im talking about haulage companies here, not someone driving from Brum to London for a meeting. He/she can get the train instead)

Thanks, this may help people understand what the card it for :)

WE DRIVE BECAUSE WE HAVE TO - NOT BECAUSE WE WANT TO!

Bullshit, half the population drive because they're too lazy to walk places. How many people drive to a supermarket for one bag of shopping, use your legs, walk 30 minutes. It's not difficult.

At best use a bus, gets cars off the road and it's not exactly expensive.

And no I'm not a greenpeace activist, but I do think the population are becoming lazy bastards.

Bullshit, half the population drive because they're too lazy to walk places. How many people drive to a supermarket for one bag of shopping, use your legs, walk 30 minutes. It's not difficult.

And no I'm not a greenpeace activist, but I do think the population are becoming lazy bastards.

Damn straight, was just away to point that out.

I know plenty of people who live in and around my nearest town that drive everywhere. Hell, one lad at work got a taxi the other day for the half mile from the bowling alley to our store! WALK! It ain't difficult.

As for this system, the idea is to go to one of the major pertol retailers in the country and say "we have 2 million people signed up and prepared to only buy petrol from you if the price is right. What can you offer us?". It should work if enough people sign up, all that garaunteed business for the price of 5p a litre is a bargain for the petrol companies.

Your right, I'll walk 15 miles to my nearest supermarket, or maybe I'll catch that one bus that goes through my village each week...

ARK! Not me who said it lol :s

If I'm going to work from home it costs me £5.40 for a return bus ticket for a 25 minute bus journey. Or I could drive it, about 15 miles and it would cost far less than that, not only that the car is far more convienent as I can stop right outside my work and go and a time which suits me. The bus stops 5 minutes after my work and only comes once an hour.

If I'm going into town with some friends it's far cheaper to chip in for petrol and parking. 40 mile round trip so a fiver max on petrol and parking isn't exactly expensive if you go a bit out of town. Bus would be £6.40 for a return each. The prices for public transport around me are ridiculous - I don't see how they expect people to use it regularly unless they absolutely have to.

I don't think Ramar was trying to say that people in rural areas should walk lol. It's far too impractical.

On the other hand people who drive for trips under 2 miles are just lazy. A half hour walk will do you good, and unless you're doing the weekly shop or transporting other heavy goods there's no reason for driving it.

Petrol prices are doin me head in, when i first started to drive it was like 89p a litre, and everyone was fuming then, now its like £1.15, its fuckin stupid.

Are there any planned strikes like the ones we had a while back?

I don't think Ramar was trying to say that people in rural areas should walk lol. It's far too impractical.

On the other hand people who drive for trips under 2 miles are just lazy. A half hour walk will do you good, and unless you're doing the weekly shop or transporting other heavy goods there's no reason for driving it.

This

I think you'll find he didn't say everyone :)

And also this.

I drive 100 miles a day to get to work and back. Which is Bradford > Scunthorpe. It costs me around ?300 a month. The price of petrol is pretty much going to force me to quit if it keeps rising. Theres no need for the government to make as much money on it as they do.

I'll be signing on the dole within the next few months :D

________

REPLAY STARCRAFT II

Edited by fex

I drive 100 miles a day to get to work and back. Which is Bradford > Scunthorpe. It costs me around £300 a month. The price of petrol is pretty much going to force me to quit if it keeps rising. Theres no need for the government to make as much money on it as they do.

I'll be signing on the dole within the next few months :D

To be fair it doesn't "make the government money". It moves money in to this countries coffers to fund everything from the NHS to the roads and the police service. Nobody is making profit on it (or they shouldn't be in an ideal, corruption free world)

I've seen petrol prices hit 130p here. Pretty horrific! For that reason I think I'll give driving a miss. I'd rather find a place of my own near to my work, and walk it. It has health and environment benefits. ^___^

Our train service is abysmal. The main Ballymena > Belfast train goes once every 1h40m, due to the fact there's only one train line. And as someone said, that's not practical for working. You get there either far too early or far too late.

Also McPhee has a very fair point about the money. It goes to help the NHS and other essential things that we all need. There's no need to blame the government for all of the problem. Maybe its not helping, but its not the root of the problem.

Save money on petrol & diesel with a free Pipeline Card!

All those involved in the oil business are getting their cut from the inflated prices we're paying on the forecourts - the oil-well owners, refineries and filling stations. In February of this year Shell announced record annual profits of $25.36 BILLION.

Shock the petrol companys make money. Its buisness. You can not expect them to sell the oil to us cheap just to be nice. No buisness in the world would do that. The price of oil is not determined by the oil companys. its determined by us the consumer. There is not enough oil in the world. And so the price is driven up as people offer to pay more for it. Just like any other goods. Much like last christmas you could sell a Wii for a grand as there just were not enough.

The real criminals are the govenment. As tax is a % just think how small this price increase would have been.

Fuel should have a fixed rate to it 50p a litre or wotever. Then as fuel prices go up (as they always will) the increase will not be as huge as it has been.

But the oil companys are not to blame there just an easy target.

Shock the petrol companys make money. Its buisness. You can not expect them to sell the oil to us cheap just to be nice. No buisness in the world would do that. The price of oil is not determined by the oil companys. its determined by us the consumer. There is not enough oil in the world. And so the price is driven up as people offer to pay more for it. Just like any other goods. Much like last christmas you could sell a Wii for a grand as there just were not enough.

The real criminals are the govenment. As tax is a % just think how small this price increase would have been.

Fuel should have a fixed rate to it 50p a litre or wotever. Then as fuel prices go up (as they always will) the increase will not be as huge as it has been.

But the oil companys are not to blame there just an easy target.

You are an idiot. Sorry, i don't want to insult you but that post is 90% stupid.

Yes, like every other commodity the price of oil is determined by supply and demand, but the idea behind this scheme is as a loyalty card. Basically the members of this scheme would be increasing a petrol company's revenues by all purchasing from the same company. In return they are after a small cut of the profit in the form of a discount.

That makes perfect sense. There is a HUGE amount of profit in Petrol and Diesel! To give you an idea, the Venezuelan gouvernment can supply petrol to it's people at 5p/litre. They charge for manufacture and distribution costs, nothing more. Add on to that the price of the raw oil ($138.14/bbl or $1.16/litre, £0.59/litre) and the extra distribution costs for shipping it over here and you still won't be anywhere near the 20p/litre mark. The remaining £1 or so per litre is profit and tax.

The slice of that "profit" that the goverment snatches comes back to benefit us. The slice that the oil companies take doesn't. The tax on fuel, alcohol and tobacco is going up because consumers are spending less, meaning the government is getting less from VAT. Do you have a better way for them to get the money?

I do think that the petrol tax and car tax increases are a tad unfair on business travel though. Personally i think that if your business depends on transport then you should be getting a little bit of tax relief (im talking about haulage companies here, not someone driving from Brum to London for a meeting. He/she can get the train instead)

You mean stuff like these Petrol Cars (i.e. the ones that let you have free petrol, but add a lot of tax onto your pay cheque)?

Thats the best way ive heard it put :)