N-Europe

Wario Land: The Shake Dimension

Hero-of-Time

No, but you're saying it looks like it could be Wii Ware ("to be honest it looks like they could have put it on WiiWare..."), just because it's a 2D platformer and might be short. As much as I love you Nathan, that's just short sighted. First of all, making a 2D game is a risk, we all know it won't sell bajillions, second you have no idea the investment that goes into the game, 3rd Wii Ware imposes a lot of restrictions and doesn't have nearly as much market penetration not even by a long shot. Bottom line a 2D platformer is a game just like any other, it doesn't have to be "renegated" into digital distribution and classed even if unintentionally as a "smaller" game. Capiche?

C) Typo.

But even with that in mind...there is no way this kinda game should be full price retail...admittedly we don't know that it definitly will. Personally would like to have seen this on the DS, master of disguise sucked and I want a true sequel to the stellar GBA game...

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

71881520080611_103848_0_big.jpg

I think we now know why the game can't be on Wiiware.:heh:

And Captain Syrup!!:yay: :yay:

Damn...Is it me, or did the game just become much more awesome? :yay:

And yes, I'm glad to see Syrup back. :bowdown: We haven't seen her since Wario Land II.

Captain Syrup is the main antagonist of Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 and Wario Land 2. She is the leader of a legion of seafaring thieves known as the Brown Sugar Pirates. She is a technological genius and inventor, constantly building mechanized apparatuses to assist her in attacking whatever target she chooses. The Pirates' base of operations is Kitchen Island, a gigantic coved island in the middle of the ocean, and their main mode of transportation is the S.S. Teacup, a massive pirate ship. In the first Wario Land game, Wario pursues Syrup in order to steal a giant golden statue of Princess Toadstool that Syrup stole from Mario. After Syrup is defeated, she vows revenge on Wario. During the second game, she exacts her revenge by stealing all of Wario's treasure.

Having only played Wario Land 1, who is Syrup?

The main villain in Wario Land 1... :blank:

http://www.mariowiki.com/Captain_Syrup

I actually never played a game she's in (just watch one of my friends doing the boss battle where she fights with a genie) but find her really interesting and she's a pirate so she can't be anything beside incarnate awesomeness.

CAPTAIN SYRUP FOR BRAWL!! ... Oh shit! Too late.

Huh!

I know Wario land 1 was a long time ago, but I really don't remember her!

I remember everything else you mentioned Dante, like Kitchen Island, the S.S. Teacup etc...

Maybe I never fully completed the game?! as in old school games you never really saw the final badguy until the end level and boss fight!

(just watch one of my friends doing the boss battle where she fights with a genie)
Wait, a Genie.... now that rings bells! Maybe I did complete the game, but just forgot who the boss was?!

EDIT:

Here it is, not sure if did it or not! I know I spent alot of time trying to find all the hiddn treasures throughout the levels; now was challenging!

Ah the memories of WL1 when I heard the music and classic sound fx!.... Good times!

No, but you're saying it looks like it could be Wii Ware ("to be honest it looks like they could have put it on WiiWare..."), just because it's a 2D platformer and might be short. As much as I love you Nathan, that's just short sighted. First of all, making a 2D game is a risk, we all know it won't sell bajillions, second you have no idea the investment that goes into the game, 3rd Wii Ware imposes a lot of restrictions and doesn't have nearly as much market penetration not even by a long shot. Bottom line a 2D platformer is a game just like any other, it doesn't have to be "renegated" into digital distribution and classed even if unintentionally as a "smaller" game. Capiche?

C) Typo.

:weep: I understand that a lot of money is invested into games, even smaller downloadable games. It's just that by the looks of it, it shouldn't be a full retail title (on the Wii at least, it does look more suited to DS, though then we couldn't have the Shake bit), not because it's 2D (I love 2D games) but because it doesn't seem to offer that sort of value. Making it downloadable would also have it reach a larger audience and I would guarantee that its sales would benefit massively.

But I digress.

Dante you keep repeating yourself! :wtf: [EDIT: Oh ok you've edited now!]

I've no problem with a new 2D game, as long as it's long enough and offer good replay value.

20 levels just doesn't seem like many, but we'll see.

I lover Wario Land 1 and I'm actually REALLY looking forward to seeing more of this.

Dante you keep repeating yourself! :wtf:

I've no problem with a new 2D game, as long as it's long enough and offer good replay value.

20 levels just doesn't seem like many, but we'll see.

I lover Wario Land 1 and I'm actually REALLY looking forward to seeing more of this.

But how big are those levels? For all we know, they could use a Wario Land 3 system, where each level has different goals. Such a system could guarantee much more longevity.

But how big are those levels? For all we know, they could use a Wario Land 3 system, where each level has different goals. Such a system could guarantee much more longevity.
Well then that would be alright, guess we'll just have to wait for me info, which should keep coming as it's only about 6 weeks away!

Some PAL release news:

http://www.cubed3.com/news/10254/

According to Siliconera, Wario Land Shake is due for release in Japan on July 24th 2008, and it seems that a PAL release will be around the corner with the Australian ratings board OFLC recently stamping their seal of approval on the game.

Sources state the game is also apparently set to hit Europe not long after Super Smash Bros. Brawl, however a North American date has yet to be revealed. However, given Wario and his games’ popularity over there, a quick release has to be a given.

Maybe it's gonna be an almost simultaneous worldwide release?!

People dont like 2D games anymore.

"It should be on WiiWare. :sad:" :rolleyes:

People dont know much about the game and moaning that it should be a WiiWare game. :hmm:

For one, I never said I didn't like 2D games. Secondly, would it even be a bad thing if it was on WiiWare? Look at LostWinds, Frontier had no troubles getting a great looking game up and running.

For one, I never said I didn't like 2D games. Secondly, would it even be a bad thing if it was on WiiWare? Look at LostWinds, Frontier had no troubles getting a great looking game up and running.

There's anime cut scenes (and god knows what else) ... if you want to waste so much of your already small wii hard drive, it can be on Wiiware.

There's anime cut scenes (and god knows what else) ... if you want to waste so much of your already small wii hard drive, it can be on Wiiware.

Most valid point here! Maybe this will resurrect the 2D platformer/adventure game, bringing a slew of quality titles! I'd rather play a good 2D adventure than a mediocre 3D one anyday.

Let's not forget that Metroid Dread may still be in the pipeline ( Corruption reference ) and there can't be many fans who wouldn't want to sink their teeth into that!

Being a first party title should ensure it won't be a 10 hour-finished-and-seen-it-all package. If they introduce 3D special effects like in so many other 2D titles ( NSMB/Paper Mario/Sonic Adventure etc. ), then it rounds out to be an altogether more exciting prospect. What we don't need is another DK Jungle Climber!

Time to rename this topic as "Wario Land: The Shake Dimension"

Is that official now then?

Wario Land is looking good- bringing back Capt Syrup is just what we needed. However I hope that doesn't mean her and the Kitchen Island massif are in line to spill over into future Warioware games. Lots of animated cutscenes + classic 2D gameplay + shake = retro party time!

(I'll let Supercube's DK Jungle Climber comment go uncommented upon... this time.)

fantastic looking game.

I'd kill for a 2d mario platformer on the wii.. Hell i'd even kill for a 2d snic platformer on the wii... Even wiiware will do

but i'm loving this.. I avoided this thread for a while thinking it was going to be another gimmicky wario ware style game.. I was wrong.

Storyline:

Within an Ancient Globe (an old, giant globe exhibited at a museum), there is another world called Yuretopia (translator: “yure” = tremor/shaking). Yuretopia’s peace is shattered by the marauding pirate Shay King. Queen Melfull and her Melfull subjects are imprisoned. Not only that, Shay King claims the legendary treasure “Deldel Purse,” which spits out coins whenever it is shaken. Captain Maple Syrup, the female pirate, observes Yuretopia’s crisis from the outside world. Setting her eyes on the legendary treasure but with no desire of doing the dirty work herself, she steals the Ancient Globe and sends it to Wario. True to form, Wario prepares to raid the beleaguered kingdom when Queen Melfull escapes to the outside world in hopes of finding help. Beseeched by the Queen to become a hero to the kingdom, Wario sets off to Yuretopia where the promise of vast treasures beckons…

71881520080612_161623_0_big.jpg

71881520080612_161625_1_big.jpg

For me, Wario has been redundant since last year’s mediocre Wario: Master of Disguise. I thought his days as a star of high-quality videogames might be coming to an end. There is a shining gold coin of hope in the forthcoming Wario Land Shake Wii game, however, which is due for release locally at the end of July. This is sadly nothing like the Wario Ware games – Shake doesn’t even have a multiplayer mode – but its hand-drawn 2D animation style (the work of a Tokyo-based anime studio called Production I.G, which did some stunning work on the cutscenes of Level-5’s Professor Layton games) has real charm.

Shake refers to a gameplay trick whereby shaking the Remote when Wario is near to an exclamation mark will send him into a fury, which in turn causes his immediate surrounds to crumble and reveal new paths. The Remote-shake is also put to use as Wario launches himself from cannons, flies through mid-air, and so on. He’ll also be rolling as an angry snowball at some point, and there’s a unicycle to be ridden (presumably for the appeasement of the pro-Unirally revivalist crowd). The goal of each level will be to retrieve three treasures, but the means of retrieval and progression through Wario Shake Land have me curious ahead of the game’s July 27 Japanese release.

next-gen.biz

Lots of shaking. But finding new paths through levels and having three treasures to find in each makes it sound as if they are making this game as we were hoping they would- lengthy and with replay value. Snowball Wario and Unirally Wario should be good fun to mess around with too.

Lots of shaking. But finding new paths through levels and having three treasures to find in each makes it sound as if they are making this game as we were hoping they would- lengthy and with replay value. Snowball Wario and Unirally Wario should be good fun to mess around with too.
Hopefully the three treasures in each level are very difficult hidden extras for going back and completing the game 100%, like in Wario Land 1; and not just hidden along branching paths that you will eventually come across on your way to the level goal.

Sounding good though!