NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Magic The Gathering

I used to play this, back in the day. Then I quit. Then I got back to it, stronger then ever, got myself quite the collection of goodies, and then forced myself to quit because it's too expensive a habit (I did manage to complete one of the awesomest decks ever made! It's still usable in Extended format!).

But now thanks to Magic Workstation, I'm back at it. It's perfect. Free, available, online, and best of all, completely legal. Now I can finally satisfy my thirst for this fantastic game, without the costly sums of money it takes for me to enjoy it. Yes, holding the cards in your hand and playing it for real is better, but this works just fine, all the elements of strategy are there, this is most definitely the king of trading card games! : peace:

Anywho, have you ever played it? Do you still play it? You haven't played it, yet have always been curious, WHATEVER, what's your history with this game? What memories do you have of it and what do you think of it? :heh:

I used to play this loads at primary school, it's an awesome game, cool to see you can now play it for free online.

I went to play it as i got a pack of cards free with a magazine and so bought a basic deck thing. but no one else collected them so I never got to play!

So they got put to the back of my draw and have remained there ever since along with other trading card games! (like Neopets :shakehead)

I would have liked to know how to play as the cards interested me! :D Nice to see it's online.

Never thought of using Apprentice then?

Workstation > Apprentice. I tried them both out. Seriously, Workstation is just the natural evolution of Apprentice. : peace:

Workstation > Apprentice. I tried them both out. Seriously, Workstation is just the natural evolution of Apprentice. : peace:

I have no argument for Apprentice being worse, but j00 imply you found online playing only via the magic of Workstation [Let's face it, I'm not sure how something could get worse than Apprentice]

I have one bit of Magic, a starter set I applied for online and got shortly after forgetting about it. With a really dodgy comic introduction with a dude with a shit eating grin. It did come with a CD-rom with a program that lets you play against some Goblin/Genie dude, with more different cards than what you got with the starter set.

I have no argument for Apprentice being worse, but j00 imply you found online playing only via the magic of Workstation [Let's face it, I'm not sure how something could get worse than Apprentice]

I have one bit of Magic, a starter set I applied for online and got shortly after forgetting about it. With a really dodgy comic introduction with a dude with a shit eating grin. It did come with a CD-rom with a program that lets you play against some Goblin/Genie dude, with more different cards than what you got with the starter set.

Oh, that... Well I just hadn't thought about it. It hit me last week or so, I stumbled upon my cards, yet again and remembered... "why the fuck am I not looking for a way to play this online?"... and hence, here we are.

I played this quite a bit last year but lost interest. Mostly because the people I was playing with were 2 guys with 2 distinctive yet very annoying habits.

I played it a bit when I was younger along with the pc game but ive totally forgotten any rules or anything that went with it.

Used to play it loads back in school. Had 4 or 5 decent decks.

Green ftw

Oh yes greens, nothing says fuck you as much as having twice the mana out and twice as powerful creature out as your opponent before the 4th turn.

I used to have so much fun with my green deck last year, I think I have it around here somewhere...

I´ve been thinking about starting again (summer coming and all) and boost up a deck I started, basically it revolves around the other guy throwing his entire deck into the graveyard :Þ

Ahhh...Magic...

Still the king of TCGs, it seems. It was all the rage in my school for a year or two. I have mostly from the Onslaught/Oddyssey blocks.

I had two good decks. One was a Red/Green beast deck (Somewhat effective, but wouldn't last long against more experienced players).

The other one was an awesome Zombie-based Black deck. Those folks never die! :grin:

I was the the best at my school, since I was one of the few whose deck had some strategy to it. :heh:

There was somebody else, who played Magic for a longer time, and had a Blue/Black deck cards with the Shadow ability (old ability that allowed them to be virtually unblockable), as well as a few counterspells. He was actually better than me, but he rarely played.

I'll have to try that online game, one day. I too stopped playing due to costs.

I'll miss the feeling of buying a brand new booster, though. The sensation of having brand new cards in your hand (I loved that "new card" smell). The awesome feeling of seeing an awesome rare card come out. (I bought, like, two Scourge boosters in my life. And I got the only card I REALLY wanted from the set: "Call to the Grave")

wow, i remember this. might actually look in to it: massive geekyness and expense aside, it's extremely clever stuff.

I played up until last year simply because I lost interest. I still like it and have kept the cards. And decks.

Green is indeed the win (and my favourite)....go figure. ;)

Greem is teh suxorz. It's my least favourite colour! :(

Black & Blue ftw!!! Disruptive decks ftw!!!

And Red!!! Goblins are perhaps the best tribal deck ever made. Like... EVER.

White weenies are the best.

I don't like green. lol.

I´ve been thinking about starting again (summer coming and all) and boost up a deck I started, basically it revolves around the other guy throwing his entire deck into the graveyard :Þ

That's called milling. :heh:

Good times when we played together eh OW?

The best times of our lives, dude! :heh:

If anyone does get into it with Magic Workstation, do give me a ring, I'll play thee! :D

Greem is teh suxorz. It's my least favourite colour! :(

Black & Blue ftw!!! Disruptive decks ftw!!!

And Red!!! Goblins are perhaps the best tribal deck ever made. Like... EVER.

White weenies are the best.

I don't like green. lol.

Black is awesome. Disrupting is an awesome strategy, even though I don't have enough cards to make a decent disruptive deck. But I still love the things Black can do.

I'm not so much into Blue, though. Requires too much patience and thinking, when I love a good light-hearted game.

Green is fun, but I don't think I could do a great green deck. Although it can be an awesome supporting colour. I also love the elves.

Red FTW! It's such a fun and effective color. I loved being able to cause damage so easily.

White Weenies are cool, but I never had the skillz to make one. White is also a bit too defensive for my taste.

Used to play this back in the day, by which I mean about 10 years ago. Sold all my cards on ebay a couple of years back though. Actualy I think I kept my uber black and white swarm deck, I won many a game with it.

Just started an account at Magic online. I used to "play" back in the day, 'round the time of the Urza block. Mainly collected for the pretty pictures, as I only had one person to really play with, so even back then I was hardly an expert. With the online client, rules are being taken care off, and since I did keep track of news now and again, I'm not totally unfamiliar with the current rules. I'll keep it mainly casual, although it seems fun to enter some Urza draft / sealed tournement this summer.

Any other new player red / green player can trade their starting blue black cards for my red greens.

My nick is "Somnophore".

On a topic on the same theme, but different;

I got into heroclix about 6 years ago, and while I've not bought any in 2 years or something, I still visit the fan site every day, and keep up to date with all the rules and what's hot in the tournament scene.

I love collectable games - but they're too expensive to actually collect.

Yeah, Chair and I were Heroclixers (Which is far more niche, strangely. Considering the actual source material is likely to appeal to more people.) , and still play when possible, even if we can't afford to buy them anymore.

Never touched a MtG card in my life. Have no intention.

Without Magic (capital M) there would be a lot less neckbeards in the world. :heh:

I just don't have the patience tbh.

Yeah watching Magic is kind of ridiculous.

VS Heroclix, its really all about fucking over your opponent as quickly and easily as possible as opposed to yes trying to win, but also having fun and having a comic book battle at the same time.

I prefer Heroclix because the source material means something to me, and it feels like a semi-accurate translation of big superhero battles into miniature form. Cards don't really do that. (for me)

Obviously some TCG's can be great games in their own right...they just don't appeal to me that much.