NEurope
Oxigen_Waste

Magic The Gathering

Haven't heard of heroclix, but after trying Magic online for a night, I can say people here are here to have fun too. They're really nice and generous.. For $ 10,- you get a new account with a starting deck, with not much to make a good deck with, but I've come across plenty people just giving me cards (after probably feeling sorry for me ;)) and giving me tips. Apart from the initial fee, I didn't spend any money yet on cards, but I now have a deck that's certainly not bad for something just given to me. Paper has definitely more charm, but online is more practical, especially the trading.. I'm sure you wouldn't spend as much online as you would with the fysical version. At least I'm having fun right now, then again, I don't mind losing ;).

I actually tried Magic Workstation a while back. I love it, it's so versatile, it allows virtually anything.

The problem is, unlimited access to any card takes something out of the original game. Sure my wallet is thanking me, but I can't be surprised by a few random cards I decided to add to my deck anymore. Finding players playing for fun (instead of trying to win) is harder than I thought.

This usually means I only touch MWS once every few months (when I get the itch to play it)

That said, I still love building a fun deck and trying to use it against a competitive player. Magic is such a fun and versatile game, no other card game comes close.

Though I always loved Pokémon TCG. I haven't kept up with it in years, though.

Pokémon TCG is better.

Pre-release event on Saturday!

Pokémon TCG is largely just a watered down version of MtG (both are made by Wizards of the Coast), and I much prefer the latter. MtG is the only trading card I've come across where the gameplay is good enough to make a worthwhile strategic experience that doesn't rely on the draw producing cards with known characters on. While there is a MtG story, it's very much secondary to the game itself rather than the other way round.

I've never tried Magic Workstation, might give it a go after my exams.

I've seen real men play this.

Scarily fast! O____O

Whole games are over before you can say tap/untap.

This thread reminds me that I need to leech more of my brothers Magic account, was getting the hang off playing it online.

Also, vampires in MTG can suck my balls.

Pokémon TCG is largely just a watered down version of MtG (both are made by Wizards of the Coast), and I much prefer the latter. MtG is the only trading card I've come across where the gameplay is good enough to make a worthwhile strategic experience that doesn't rely on the draw producing cards with known characters on. While there is a MtG story, it's very much secondary to the game itself rather than the other way round.

I've never tried Magic Workstation, might give it a go after my exams.

Pokémon has advanced muchos since the old days, plus it's not been done by Wizards of the Coast for 7 years.

Pokémon has advanced muchos since the old days, plus it's not been done by Wizards of the Coast for 7 years.

Fair enough, my previous post was based on my knowledge of both games at about age 12. Which isn't to say I no longer think MtG is awesome.

Also, vampires in MTG can suck my balls.

Really? I used a vampire deck for a while not too long ago, and they didn't seem overpowered at all.

When I played it online a few months ago, nearly everyone was playing a Vampire deck with some ridiculous cards and most of them had any combination of flying, lifelink and deathtouch.

All of them are really powerful abilities and it was common to fight someone who fielded a deck with nearly only deathtouch and/or lifelink creatures.

Was gonna look for some card examples on my brothers magic online account but it is taking forever to update.

Ah, so they stuck with the "lifelink" strategy.

The deck I used was more of a varied Weenie. Incidentally, it included a creature with flying, lifelink AND deathtouch :heh:

Zombies still own everyone else, though.

Image.ashx?multiverseid=3621&type=card

Necro bump.

I’ve recently finally spent some (relatively) serious money on my Magic online account (instead of spending it on online games, sorry @%1;!), so I’ve I’ve upgraded my decks from terrible to will beat newbies. Seriously though, they’re only good for casual. I probably could’ve built a pro-deck with the money I spent, by downloading some tournement winning deck and buying those specific cards, but I like building my own decks, and buying cards I like. So yeah, I have a few expensive cards but my decks are casual. And I keep tweaking them constantly.

Currently mainly playing a regular mono black deck that uses huge creatures, a monoblack you lose life / I gain life deck, and a mono black zombie deck. But I have multiple variations, and I’m trying out different decks, like a monoblack discard deck, but that one’s not working very well..

In a few days the Dragon Maze pre-release will start, I intend to do at least a draft. Don’t know if I’ll be spending much more money, as I have some orders lined up, but I have plenty of cards on my wishlist, which cost quite some money like this old one:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=8823&type=card

(currently 17 dollars a piece)

And a recent one:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=366246&type=card

(currently 16 dollars).

Maybe next month :rolleyes:

Anyway, anyone here playing MTGO (i.e. the official digital Magic, not some 3rd party client)?

I've actually gotten a bit back into magic recently, but I only use Magic Workstation for the occasional duel. As much as I'd like to get more involved in the community, it's just not feasible (financially speaking).

Truth be told, I already have a bunch of key cards from my Zombie deck in real life, buying the rest wouldn't come out so expensive, but still...

Dragon's Maze did tempt me to properly get back into it, though.

Coincidentally I have also been doing Magic related stuff recently.

- I made a parody video last week (below).

- I have been reading about it, and selling some of my old collection.

- Watching finals

- And yesterday, I even played against Claire/taught her the basic rules.

And a recent one:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=366246&type=card

(currently 16 dollars).

I got that one in a booster! :D

- And yesterday, I even played against Claire/taught her the basic rules.

See, this is why I need a girlfriend! :heh:

---

I played a bit of Pokémon TGC back in the day and became quite the fan of Duel Masters, short-lived as it was (which is very similar to Magic, just more casual and less complicated). I never got into Magic: The Gathering back in the day, but I've always been intrigued by it, and about six months ago a vlogger I'm following participated in a release event where she played against a couple of other YouTubers. It got me interested, so I bought a starter pack, and I was more or less immediately hooked. I've always had a thing for collector's hobbies, particularly TGCs, and that collector mentality just flared up in me, so I've already got quite a little collection.

In the process I discovered there's a proper geek shop in Aarhus (comic books, LARP gear, tabletop games etc.) which also does game nights, especially Magic nights, and I've been there a few times, but I haven't had the courage to actually play yet. These guys are pros! They can play three rounds in the time it takes me to consider what lands to tap! :heh: So for the time being I mostly collect the cards until I have the time and energy to sit down and put together a proper, thought-out deck.

Oh, and green is indeed the shit. Endless mana and humongous creatures FTW.

Coincidentally I have also been doing Magic related stuff recently.

- I made a parody video last week (below).

[..]

I tried watching that, I really did, sorry ReZ..

Well, if you’re not using it, you know what to do with it ;).

Maybe when the next block is released, I’ll see what a real life release event is like.

Lucky bastard :grin: I sure know what receiving a great rare card feels like. I remember when I got this baby in a booster pack. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Though if you can't/won't use it, use this opportunity to trade it for a card you'd love to use in your deck. I once got a Meddling Mage in a booster, but since I didn't actually play White or Blue, I traded it for a couple of Unholy Grottos (Meddling Mage had quite a high demand).

At this point I'm honestly still far too much of a noob to really consider trades and the like. :heh: I'm still trying to find my style.

At this point I'm honestly still far too much of a noob to really consider trades and the like. :heh: I'm still trying to find my style.

Yeah, just saying, if you play Black&White, then keep it and use it, but if not, take the opportunity if you find someone interested in your card.

Who has Magic Online? Add me, my name is FujiWuji (registration fucked up).

I’ll add you tomorrow. What should your registration have been then? Anyway, I’ll see what cards I’m willing to donate, unless you’ve spent some considerable money yourself already ;).

I did horribly in the prerelease Dragon’s maze draft haha. But at least I have my cutie Teysa now:

Image.ashx?multiverseid=369011&type=card

But I want her on paper.. So guess I’ll be buying lots of boosters next month ;).

My mate did buy me Magic on Steam(same one who showed me the game IRL) but I never fired it up to play. I haven't logged onto Steam much in the last year(trying to save monies, also...linux) so I never tried the digital versions as it were. I much prefer what Dan's saying about the F2P model and Hearthstone though, and something I'll consider for when I sort my PC/life out.

(Didn't want to hi-jack the Hearthstone thread any more, so I'll reply here)

No, not the Steam versions, that's not the real game. You can download a client from the official site, and then you can play a proper digital version of Magic. It's exactly the same as the paper versions, you buy cards, build decks, and play against other people. You miss out on some of the fun of collecting and playing with physical cards, but there are plenty advantages too. If you download the client, you can try it out for free. You get a set of "fake" cards. They're just there to give you a taste of the game. You can play with them, but you can't trade them. If you do want "real" cards, you can get the cheap ones for free as well, they're usually given away by the more experienced players.

That said.. In the previous post, I said I wasn't currently playing it. However, the talk got me in the mood, so I downloaded the new client, bought some new cards, and played a bit. But the new client is worse than the old one. The old one wasn't fantastic, but got the job done. With the new one, it's hard to keep the overview. And it's extremely slow.. I had some fun with the crappy decks I built with my new cards, but the experience with the client wasn't good at all.

I only really play it on the Xbox, I've never played it in real life. I want 2015 for the Xbox One. The card game I love to play (but I don't properly play it, I play my mate's deck whenever I see him) is called Cardfight Vanguard. I've gotten very good at that, unexpectedly.

So, it seems I've ended up getting into Magic The Gathering... :blank:

I'm kind of surprised but not... in a way. :p

I've always liked card games, possibly more the collecting element but the way in which they play has always intrigued me. :)

My previous ventures into cards include Pokémon TCG, Lord of the Rings and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (although I think those were more on the collectable side)

I don't really have any experience but someone has kindly offered to teach me about the game, so after a couple of weeks and getting lucky with a job lot of cards online, I've gone from owning nothing to a few thousand cards. :blush:

Currently spending some of my evenings sorting through them, will have to post some pictures if I find any good rares or any favourites.

Hopefully I'll be learning more about the game soon, but it has just brought back to me how much I like collecting cards and appreciating the work which goes into them. :heart:

I'm actually currently planning to sell my online cards. I'm keeping the sliver deck I got for free, so I'll have one deck to play whenever I get the itch, but I'm selling everything else. I rarely play at this point, and I could use the 300 euros (hopefully, the value seems to have gone down a lot). I do intend to pick it up again some time in the future.

Edited by Sméagol