N-Europe

Battlestar Galactica Season 4

Dan_Dare

But he completely and utterly failed. He set out to prove that TV shows don't need character/plot themes or any orchestrated music.

Still, doesn't change the fact that it was utterly awesome.

Well, true, he really never made a proper theme song for characters, the only one I can think of that resembles that is the "Adama-Roslin" song, and also "Pegasus". Instead he always used songs that fit in the on-screen action. His music is based more on the situation, he uses different music for the same characters, depending of their actions.

Also, he has used before an orchestra to perform for the show, the only time he wasn't allowed to use orchestral elements was in the first season (lack of budget). His score, though, blends really well when he merges synth and real world instruments. Heavy use of percussion and other etnichal instrumentation are convicing enough with good quality sound banks, sounding almost like the real thing.

The "DayBreak" finale, though, had unmistakably heavy sessions of orchestral music performed in Eastwood Scoring Stage by Warner's own orchestra. Even the "Colonial Anthem" used in this episode is very different from the synth-based rendition he used in the mini-series. "Passacaglia" would have sounded awful had it been made in a computer, string intruments don't translate very well and sound very artificial even with good sound banks from good orchestras.

Very interesting that he is also scoring "Caprica" with the same orchestra: http://www.bearmccreary.com/blog/?p=1089

Looking forward to hearing what he composed for this.:)

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, true, he really never made a proper theme song for characters, the only one I can think of that resembles that is the "Adama-Roslin" song, and also "Pegasus".

There are actually quite a lot. I didn't say it (or orchestrated music) was a bad thing. In fact, I absolutely love the music.

There are actually quite a lot. I didn't say it (or orchestrated music) was a bad thing. In fact, I absolutely love the music.

No character has really a fixed theme. There is no "Lee Adama" theme or "Gaius Baltar" theme; characters are tied to plot music that happens to involve those characters. If you look at the official soundtracks playlist you'll never see a "Theme" there, you'll see "Starbuck on the Red Moon" or "Starbuck Takes on All Eight". Plot music for characters.

About the rest, you quoted me when I said that his music was fantastic, and you said "he completely and utterly failed", and "He set out to prove that TV shows don't need character/plot themes or any orchestrated music.", implying that he didn't use any orchestrated music, hence my response. Maybe I misunderstood what you tried to say.

Also apparently it will have extended episodes from 4.5.

Hopefully we'll get all the extended episodes.

I think I'll wait until The Complete Series is out before getting Season 4 & The Final Season (and I may just pick up the complete pack, depending on price - I got the Season 1 - 3 box set when I already had seasons 1 & 2 because it was cheaper than Season 3 + Miniseries). I think I'll be waiting until The Plan to watch through it all again anyway.

It'd be nice if it had all the episodes (including the current extended episodes, the extended Unfinished Business and the Season 4 extended episodes), the miniseries, Razor and The Plan in one complete pack. Hopefully they'll also update the disks (IIRC, Season 1 doesn't have the handy "Play All" option) so they all share the same menus and stuff.

Yeah I'm gonna wait for the Complete Set hope it has the miniseries and Razor at least... would be waiting way too long if i had to wait for one with The Plan also.

I'm just thinking back over the ending and still feeling bloody amazed by it.

I mean the notion that it took place in the past and not in the present or future.

That this planet is actually "New Earth" (still trying to figure out what to call it) and we are decendents of Colonials and Cylons.... my god mindfrack.

I mean I was well and truely amazed and surprised when they showed us Earth was nuked, and then went on to say that Earth was populated entirely by Cylons, and thinking this was our future.

Then to flip it around like they did, still can't get over it, haha.

Also reading this interview here, it's a good one

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Battlestar-Galacticas-Ron-1004256.aspx

So from that, even the writers didn't confirm fully what the hell Starbuck was in the end, so i'm gonna go with the Angel sent back by a higher power to complete her purpose

Also just realising... one of the lines of a Hybrid "you will lead mankind to it's end Kara Trice"... she did... maybe not the "everyones dead" end it seemed to imply, but to the end of their journey... and the harbinger of death like others have suggested, the death of Galactica and the fleet.

and the answer to the question about All Along The Watchtower is pretty cool too.

Edited by Ashley
Added spoiler tags as I don't believe its aired on Sky yet. Best air on the side of safe.

• 3 weeks later...

Right, I finally watched all of Season 4 over the past couple days.

Ever since the second or third episode I new Baltar's head 6 wasn't a cylon and as I kept watching the series I grew more and more certain that she was some kind of (divine) intervention. I'm glad that was the case since that seemed pretty obvious.

Excellent end to a series that I fear will never be topped.

1) What happened to D'Anna?

2) If Baltar knew that Ellen was a cylon (from the cylon test way back in the first? season.), I assume he would have worked out she was part of the Final Five, why didn't he do anything about it?

3) How did I totally miss the whole missing Cylon, Daniel?

4) HeadSix, in the present day, "Let a complex system repeat itself long enough eventually something surprising might occur." This is a maths thing but if there is an infinite amount of time, isn't it a certainty that this will all repeat itself? No?

5) HeadBaltar at the end, in the present day, "You know it doesn't like that name." What??

1: D'anna chose to stay on Cylon Earth.

2: Scared to death? He didn't say anything about Boomer either. But he should have mentioned it to the Six when he was at the Cylon baseship asking about the five.

3: My memory is a bit fuzzy here, did we even know there was a missing "regular" cylon before the second part of season 4? I always thought the numbering of the seven cylons was a bit odd from early on when we first learned about the numbers. Couldn't figure out why the eights were seperated from the rest.

Edited by Tales

1) Ah, I remember. Bet she feels a bit stupid now! :p

2) Thinking back I think HeadSix coerced him into not saying anything. Still, later on when he is directly asking these question...what happens there!?

3) Yeah, that was more how I didn't actually notice there was a number missing. I just assumed they were all there. :heh:

2) The Cylon detector worked though. It worked on Boomer. At the least he should have recalled that he did a test. I guess the test might not have worked but since it worked on Boomer it just jars a bit.

5) Yeah, I assumed that. It just thought it was weird referring to a being, or whatever, as 'it'.

2) Baltar said it would be much easier if nobody (including himself as he was having enough trouble with Boomer) knew. After Boomer he essentially changed his program to say "no, this person isn't a Cylon" for everyone.

3) I think most people just assumed that the unknown cylons (or known ones after the final four/five were revealed) were similar (but slightly different in the case of the final five) and therefore also had a number (which included seven). They talked about Daniel in the same episode they revealed that the final five created the 7/8 Cylons so we didn't really have much time to wonder and speculate about it.

2) Baltar said it would be much easier if nobody (including himself as he was having enough trouble with Boomer) knew. After Boomer he essentially changed his program to say "no, this person isn't a Cylon" for everyone.

3) I think most people just assumed that the unknown cylons (or known ones after the final four/five were revealed) were similar (but slightly different in the case of the final five) and therefore also had a number (which included seven). They talked about Daniel in the same episode they revealed that the final five created the 7/8 Cylons so we didn't really have much time to wonder and speculate about it.

2) Yeah, but he still knows the real results for Ellen.

Edit: Embedding seems to be disabled: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPZ5_h7V32s

3) Yeah, that question was more wondering why I didn't actually notice that I hadn't seen a number 7. :heh:

I though what happened with Leoben was a bit crap. He finds out Kara died and he freaks out and then nothing.

Okay, this is a bit of a problem I have along with the Ellen Cylon test thing. The whole point of Battlestar Galactica, ultimately, was to break the cycle. However, at the end Six says, "Let a complex system repeat itself long enough eventually something surprising might occur." This completely undermines everything in the whole series. Given enough time the cycle will only start up again, the only thing they could possibly have done is postpone the inevitable a bit. Why does a being, who is aware of a plan/design of some sort, then speculate in reference to odds? She just contradicts herself.

If, as Dan suggested, the odds are controlled by God (whatever you want to call it) then why was there an inital cycle in the first place?

The more I think about it, the more the end started spewing unremittent crap that undermined a lot of the ideas the series proposed.

that video is a coincidence I'm afraid. They only decided who the 5 were during season 3.

Doesn't stop it not making sense.

Edited by Daft

Yeah I found it and have it but will watch it tonight as some of us have things to do during the day :p

(maybe I should stop mocking you jayseven...)

Either way, the programme itself doesn't air for 8 months so no rush eh? ::shrug:

Watched it today. It's pretty good, a lot more interesting than I expected. Although I'm not sure what the show is going to do in 20+ episodes. Getting Zoe back will never happen, other than as a old centurion, so maybe a bigger focus on the movement with the fathers getting involved?

Anyway, did anyone else notice that the virtual club looked a lot like a particular place from BSG? If it wasn't budget related or lack of shooting locations it's going to be interesting to see how they are related

Are we using 'everything' in the literal sense because if so I want detailed lists, preferably with graphs :heh:

I personally found it an enjoyable conclusion. I like the show, but I am not passionately in love with it to be able to spot the potential faults if I'm honest but im willing to hear.

Yes. 'Cause how you get there is the worthier part.

That's a different question.

I'll bite.

Yes.

I've posted what I'm on about,

Okay, this is a bit of a problem I have along with the Ellen Cylon test thing. The whole point of Battlestar Galactica, ultimately, was to break the cycle. However, at the end Six says, "Let a complex system repeat itself long enough eventually something surprising might occur." This completely undermines everything in the whole series. Given enough time the cycle will only start up again, the only thing they could possibly have done is postpone the inevitable a bit. Why does a being, who is aware of a plan/design of some sort, then speculate in reference to odds? She just contradicts herself.

If, as Dan suggested, the odds are controlled by God (whatever you want to call it) then why was there an inital cycle in the first place?

Are we using 'everything' in the literal sense because if so I want detailed lists, preferably with graphs :heh:

I personally found it an enjoyable conclusion. I like the show, but I am not passionately in love with it to be able to spot the potential faults if I'm honest but im willing to hear.

It's not a list. It's a fundamental flaw in the final episode. Incredibly sloppy writing it looks like.