N-Europe

Vegetarianism

Domo Kun

Just started talking about vegetarianism on the fox hunting thread and I thought it deserved its place.

Well I'm a vegetarian, it's awesome. I belive animals should be cuddled, not eaten.

So, who else is vegetarian? Why?

If anyone's interested, I'm vegetarian simply because I like animals so I don't want to eat them. I personally don't think a meat dish is worth what the animal has to go through to make it.

Oh and p.s. let's be respectful of both carnivores and herbivores please.

Oh and if anyone says, 'for every animal you don't eat I'm going to eat 10', it's not funny after the 50th time.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fellow vegetarian here. I believe that we have reached a point in our civilisation where it is possible to live with the need to eat animals, and still live healthy. If it is not necessary to kill animals, then we're eating them purely for pleasure, which I think is wrong. If it is necessary to eat meat, i.e. poorer regions of the world where alternatives are available, then it's alright.

I genuinely tried to be a vegetarian. I realised I had failed 5 minutes later, half way through a ham sandwich.

So...Meat = Good. :D

I think its crueler not eating animals because by eating them you are giving their life purpose. (Strange logic, but its true :p)

I'm kinda fussy with meat. I'll eat it, but if I ever eat bad chicken/beef or whatever, its puts me off for ages.

I had a stage where I couldn't stomach any meat of any kind, but I believe it was due to medication more than anything.

I think veges are due some props though. Following something you believe in strongly is a very good quality.

I pretty much don't eat meat anymore. I usually get replacement burgers if we do eat meat. Rarely eat poultry anymore either, though I still prefer it a tiny bit over meat (though can't remember when I last had it).

The only thing I eat on a pretty much daily basis is fish, especially tuna. I could go without meat and poultry easily, but fish is something I couldn't give up (though there's only a couple ones I eat/like). Guess I also need them for the vitamins and other things my body needs.

I don't eat meat cause I simply don't like the taste/texture, but I also feel bad for the way these animals have to live.

Here's my problem (and it's only a small quibble really) why do you value animal life but not plant life? Do you not use bleach to kill bacteria in your kitchen and bathroom? Surely that's killing animals too.

I feel a similar when.

I don't mind killing when it's done humanely and for a decent reason.

I dont see the point in being vegetarian, its a lot easier to eat right if you keep meat as part of your diet. Plus proteins r human body building blocks! :D

Chicken ftw!

But if ya dont like meat.. i dont mind!

Here's my problem (and it's only a small quibble really) why do you value animal life but not plant life? Do you not use bleach to kill bacteria in your kitchen and bathroom? Surely that's killing animals too.

It's a good point, and something I have always thought about Firstly I consider plant life without conscious. It doesn't feel. Here's the kicker, I do not really consider it 'alive'. As for bacteria, I consider that under the 'survival' category, i.e. necessary for my own survival.

Well, I assume (and I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I suppose I haven't seen evidence) that animals feel similarly to humans in relation to being encaged (i.e. farming when not done nicely), being killed, and being hurt physically. I assume bacteria and plants don't mind dying.

If I'm wrong then I'll either have to stop eating, or consider not being vegetarian, but I seriously doubt animals like being killed.

Well, I assume (and I'm pretty sure I'm right, but I suppose I haven't seen evidence) that animals feel similarly to humans in relation to being encaged (i.e. farming when not done nicely), being killed, and being hurt physically. I assume bacteria and plants don't mind dying.

If I'm wrong then I'll either have to stop eating, or consider not being vegetarian, but I seriously doubt animals like being killed.

We don't know how bacteria react to being put in cages and stuff and plants cannot move so we don't know how they react.

Hopefully this goes better than the last time someone made a thread like this.

What happened last time? :hmm:

Assuming people started being rude to each other, I stated at the beggining to be respectful :)

We don't know how bacteria react to being put in cages and stuff and plants cannot move so we don't know how they react.

I'm interested, is that your opinoin or the mainstream scientific view?

I've always thought bacteria and plants feel nothing see. I assumed having a brain is what made organisms concious of pain and emotion.

What happened last time? :hmm:

Assuming people started being rude to each other, I stated at the beggining to be respectful :)

Dynasty gal started a poll asking if people were vegetarians, meat eaters, vegans or fruitarians. If people said they ate meat she started flaming them and there was a big argument. She PMed McPhee asking for help and he told her he was a butcher. She then threatened to fire-bomb his shop. The argument continued and she asked for her account to be deleted.

You see, I was going to bring this up in the other thread. Talking about animals having feelings or being able to feel things is symptom of being human. We try to identify with everything around us as a way of understanding it. With animals , we see patterns of behaviour which we may think are feelings or cognition but really we are just superimposing our emotional and cognitive existence onto them as a way of understanding. This is anthropomorphisication; humanising non-human forms. In reality however these may just be adaptive responses.

A wood lice runs out of dry, bright, cold places into warm, dark, damp environments. We may think of this as "wanting" these conditions but they are actually biologically programmed to move towards it as a survival mechanism.

It is very difficult to tell whether an animal or plant feels. As these feelings are perceptions in actuality, defining them in other life forms without anthropomorphisication is pretty much impossible.

But yeah more on this in a bit.