Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii FPS

Noku

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't help that you played both versions on the GC though - C stick is poor.

No console had a good set of sticks last generation.

LOL The new Turok and a Rainbow Six woudl just rock my world in my Pants!

The new Turok is worse than Turok Evolution.

Well seeing as Timesplitters 4 is multiplatform, I see no reasons why I should buy the Wii version... I'm just wondering, would anyone prefer it to the 360 iteration, for example? I mean, unless the controls are abosolutely nailed with the wiimote, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, the online aspect would make me sway towards the 360/PS3 version. Does anyone else feel the same?

I would like Ninendo to take a stab at the FPS genre. I know it's not their fortay, but they have the creative minds and expertise to pull it off. Just no Spin-offs with any Nintendo mascot cameos. Something fresh and funky. A cel-shaded shooter perhaps? Akin to XIII; just an idea.

Also I love how many different chracters you could play as in TS. No other FPS I've palyed has had such an amazingly varied and expansive cast. Stone Golem and that box dude ftw.

I'm just wondering, would anyone prefer it to the 360 iteration, for example? I mean, unless the controls are abosolutely nailed with the wiimote, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, the online aspect would make me sway towards the 360/PS3 version. Does anyone else feel the same?

I'm pretty sure there are people who'd prefer the 360 version because of stuffs like achievements and all, but right here, for the dude who's typing, the prospect of seeing ex-GoldenEye/PD crew having a go at the Wii's interface equals instant win.

If EA can pull it off better than Retro, why shouldn't FR?

I'm pretty sure there are people who'd prefer the 360 version because of stuffs like achievements and all, but right here, for the dude who's typing, the prospect of seeing ex-GoldenEye/PD crew having a go at the Wii's interface equals instant win.

If EA can pull it off better than Retro, why shouldn't FR?

Well I'm not talking about achievements; mainly online play. EA have alot more experience with using the Wii remote and Retro - being a second-party developer - would have had regular check-ups and help using the interface. I mean they have the talent to pull it off, but I can see it being the inferior version - as alot of these multiplatform Wii games are. I'd just prefer the tighter controls and online prowess of the 360 version; with the same creative minds at the helm. Maybe the wiimote will suit it, but I just think pad control will better replicate the PD/GE experience.

Also I love how many different chracters you could play as in TS. No other FPS I've palyed has had such an amazingly varied and expansive cast. Stone Golem and that box dude ftw.

Im a Stone Golem fan 2, he just looks awesome. Its great that you get to play as the boss characters and other people from the main campaign, as well as a ton of others.

I hate people that use monkey.

Well seeing as Timesplitters 4 is multiplatform, I see no reasons why I should buy the Wii version... I'm just wondering, would anyone prefer it to the 360 iteration, for example? I mean, unless the controls are abosolutely nailed with the wiimote, I wouldn't consider it. Even then, the online aspect would make me sway towards the 360/PS3 version. Does anyone else feel the same?
The game is published by EA, who will probably make sure the controls are on par with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, which apparently were even better than Metroid Prime 3's controls, which in turn already nailed them for me. Wii controls are the reason to buy this game. Seeing this game will have to be different from the PS360 version, I wouldn't be surprised if they put in more than just Wiimote gun control.

But yeah, online. I'm not much on online player, so I don't really care. But how much better is XBL really than Wi-Fi when you're playing?

I'd just prefer the tighter controls and online prowess of the 360 version; with the same creative minds at the helm. Maybe the wiimote will suit it, but I just think pad control will better replicate the PD/GE experience.

That's where we differ :) I, for one, find controllig shooters with an analogue pad absolute shite. PD was the only one who did it right, because you could just headshot very easily (tad bit up on the C-pad and you're there).

Moreover, given the evolutions Nintendo has been empowering in their online-field, I believe that it won't take that long before the Wii's online interface and support will pick up to their competitors' standard. Of course, the latter is quite dependant on key developer support (which, at the moment, is fairly poor).

That's where we differ :) I, for one, find controllig shooters with an analogue pad absolute shite. PD was the only one who did it right, because you could just headshot very easily (tad bit up on the C-pad and you're there).

Moreover, given the evolutions Nintendo has been empowering in their online-field, I believe that it won't take that long before the Wii's online interface and support will pick up to their competitors' standard. Of course, the latter is quite dependant on key developer support (which, at the moment, is fairly poor).

I agree, FPS's with a controller just aren't THAT amazing. Bar the Nintendo64 controller, which was actually awesome for shooters. I played a little Resistance on the PS3 with a mate of mine, and I just found the whole thing a struggle.

I agree, FPS's with a controller just aren't THAT amazing. Bar the Nintendo64 controller, which was actually awesome for shooters. I played a little Resistance on the PS3 with a mate of mine, and I just found the whole thing a struggle.

Play Call of Duty 4 on a 360, and you'll realise that sometimes pads are perfect for shooters. :smile:

Play Call of Duty 4 on a 360, and you'll realise that sometimes pads are perfect for shooters. :smile:

I don't particularly like the feel of the 360 pad either, tbh. It's just not...right. If I could play all console shooters with an N64 controller (bar an improved analogue stick) I would do it. In a heartbeat. :heh:

I love the pad, but I thought it wouldn't be that great for shooters.

And the Infinity Ward went and proved me wrong...

Is the experience similar to that with the sixxaxis? Because I played CoD4 on the PS3, and found it to be utter shite. Even my mate, who's apparently a "general four stars" in the game's mp, lacked the precision I had come to expect in an FPS.

Is the experience similar to that with the sixxaxis? Because I played CoD4 on the PS3, and found it to be utter shite. Even my mate, who's apparently a "general four stars" in the game's mp, lacked the precision I had come to expect in an FPS.

Never played it with a PS3 controller, but in my experience/opinion, being asked to play a game with a Sony controller is similar to being asked to solve a rubix cube with one's elbows. :blank:

Never played it with a PS3 controller, but in my experience/opinion, being asked to play a game with a Sony controller is similar to being asked to solve a rubix cube with one's elbows. :blank:

Amen to that! :D

Ive played many shooters on different consoles and 360 pad is better than PS3 pad. The new dualshock wont change that.

Basically when playing CoD4 on the 360 it was really good but took some getting used to. Resistance on PS3 was pretty poor but manageable. However playing The Club (3rd person shooter for PS3) was very good and also worth noting is that TS 2 & 3 controls were a breeze for me on PS2.

Never bothered playing an fps on Gamecube apart from metroid, which doesnt really count.

The game is published by EA, who will probably make sure the controls are on par with Medal of Honor: Heroes 2, which apparently were even better than Metroid Prime 3's controls, which in turn already nailed them for me. Wii controls are the reason to buy this game. Seeing this game will have to be different from the PS360 version, I wouldn't be surprised if they put in more than just Wiimote gun control.

But yeah, online. I'm not much on online player, so I don't really care. But how much better is XBL really than Wi-Fi when you're playing?

We just have different preferences; I prefer the Pad control of say COD 4 ( which is superb) to MP3 for example. I mean I like the tactility of the wiimote but it just get's a bit tedious for my liking and the novelty wears off after a while. TBh though I haven't played MOH2; from what your saying the controls seem excellent and if EA and FR can work in tandem to improve on that, I may have to look at this version.

Hopefully Free Radical put alot of effort into Wii version - a TS channel with high scores from the challenges would be kinda cool...

As for Xbox Live: easier to get into matches with freinds; no freind codes; more acessible; better servers from what I hear about Brawl and Mario Strikers e.t.c (will it run off Ea's servers though?)

Well I guess it's beacuse i'm a quasi-hardcore FPS fan, so i'm used to pad and find it quicker and less gimmicky. I understand that the Wiimore is more acessible to the casual FPS'ers and is a welcome alternative; but when it comes to Multiplatform games like this, I'd rather stick with a familiar interface.

AS for Wii's online interface being as good as PSN and XBL in the near future...don't hold your breath:heh:

Well I guess it's beacuse i'm a quasi-hardcore FPS fan, so i'm used to pad and find it quicker and less gimmicky. I understand that the Wiimore is more acessible to the casual FPS'ers and is a welcome alternative; but when it comes to Multiplatform games like this, I'd rather stick with a familiar interface.

AS for Wii's online interface being as good as PSN and XBL in the near future...don't hold your breath:heh:

That made me laugh, if you were anyway a hardcore FPS fan, you'd realise that the mouse + keyboard is the best way to control them so far. The Wii controls arn't quite as good as M+K but they are miles ahead of analogue sticks.

I still remember play Quake online years ago, jumping over the top of someone shooting at them as they were under me and keeping my sights on them throughout the arc of my jump. When that's possible with a pad then I'll reconsider, it's still not possible with the Wii remote but its closer than dual analogue.

That made me laugh, if you were anyway a hardcore FPS fan, you'd realise that the mouse + keyboard is the best way to control them so far. The Wii controls arn't quite as good as M+K but they are miles ahead of analogue sticks.

I still remember play Quake online years ago, jumping over the top of someone shooting at them as they were under me and keeping my sights on them throughout the arc of my jump. When that's possible with a pad then I'll reconsider, it's still not possible with the Wii remote but its closer than dual analogue.

Maybe I prefer console shooters to pc shooters? Maybe I prefer anologue control to mouse + keyboard? The wii controls are miles ahead of anologue sticks...obviously. I mean Wiimote control has been out so long and they're are soo many popular Wii FPS games on the market that establish it as the superior interface...oh wait. It's coming along well but I wouldn't go that far.

It's a preference; i used to be a PC shooter fan but I prefer dual-analouge controls. There are no great multiplayer FPS games on the Wii thus I'm drawn to the 360.

From that point... yeah, it's BETTER. But it's not at all as realistic. Remember, I've served in the army, and basically anyone who shoots while running is a complete retard in my book. I think that the Wiimote is the ultimate EVER in simulating ranged combat. I'm just pissed that the zapper had the trigger in the wrong place, and lacked a stock. But that can be easilly fixed.

I must say, I'm tired of these idiotic kids running arround in CS and shooting the AWP from the hip. Do that in real life, and you can kiss your arm goodbye, because the recoil of that gun is THAT great.

Imagine a Battlefield-ish game where you actually have to change posture in real life to do it in the game. Imagine a game where the handshake isn't something the programmers threw in, but that it actually is your hand really shaking. THAT is what the Wii makes possible, and that is what I want Nintendo to utilise if they make an FPS.

From that point... yeah, it's BETTER. But it's not at all as realistic. Remember, I've served in the army, and basically anyone who shoots while running is a complete retard in my book. I think that the Wiimote is the ultimate EVER in simulating ranged combat. I'm just pissed that the zapper had the trigger in the wrong place, and lacked a stock. But that can be easilly fixed.

I must say, I'm tired of these idiotic kids running arround in CS and shooting the AWP from the hip. Do that in real life, and you can kiss your arm goodbye, because the recoil of that gun is THAT great.

Imagine a Battlefield-ish game where you actually have to change posture in real life to do it in the game. Imagine a game where the handshake isn't something the programmers threw in, but that it actually is your hand really shaking. THAT is what the Wii makes possible, and that is what I want Nintendo to utilise if they make an FPS.

Hmm, a game still has to be fun. Games shouldn't be about total realism. I see what you're getting at but there needs to be a line drawn - a super-realistic FPS wouldn't be particularly fun; you need to make concessions.

In saying that the things you talk of sound quite cool. Does the motion-mapping technology complex enough to achieve it? I want to see if Star Wars: The Force Unleashed maps your lightsaber motions directly or if it's preset. I don't know much about the technology - how far can developers take the wiimote?

Maybe I prefer console shooters to pc shooters? Maybe I prefer anologue control to mouse + keyboard? The wii controls are miles ahead of anologue sticks...obviously. I mean Wiimote control has been out so long and they're are soo many popular Wii FPS games on the market that establish it as the superior interface...oh wait. It's coming along well but I wouldn't go that far.

It's a preference; i used to be a PC shooter fan but I prefer dual-analouge controls. There are no great multiplayer FPS games on the Wii thus I'm drawn to the 360.

Each to there own I suppose, if you prefer controls that in my opinion are slow and clunky, that's up to you.

IMO the Wiimote is miles ahead of dual sticks, the fact of the matter I've never really been able to get on well in first person shooters on consoles until now. They've always felt too slow and cluncky, especially for multiplayer.

Oh and when it comes to realism darkjak, theres a time and a place for it in a very fast paced game like the original quake it didn't matter. And I really can't see CS being as popular as it is if it didn't bend the rules somewhat.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!