N-Europe

The Official MGS4 Thread.

Caris

I do agree that MGS4 has the best gameplay of the series.

But MGS3 had better boss battles and a better story IMO.

So over all I liked MGS3 better. (I played subsistence which is better than the original)

Don't get me wrong. This game is awesome, and should be played. It's a lot better that GTA (not that those two games should be compared)

Well i havent finished MGS4 yet but so far i would say it has the more enjoyable story (interactivity, graphics, increased depth of characters, tieing up of lose ends etc.). I love the way the characters are explored more deeply and how the subject matter regarding PMC's is fairly current in some ways. Snake is literally crumbling throughout the game. You feel uncomfortable with him. Unusual for a game.

It feels more modern and mature with over the top elements. It doesnt feel shallow like blockbuster movie does. Which is one of the reasons we love Kojima. Its also unashamedly a 'game'. Which is something even games dont do well nowadays.

Certainly MGS3 is my favourite game ever interms of story and the ending puts even some of the best movie to shame.

I'll reserve judgement on the bosses and story till i finish since i got sidetracked slightly by MGO.

Snake is literally crumbling throughout the game. You feel uncomfortable with him. Unusual for a game.

I am genuinely concerned for Snake. Not really about the story (although obviously that too) but if he can actually make it through to the end (if that makes sense.) As each act goes by he shows signs of getting weaker and weaker.

Its great.

I do agree that MGS4 has the best gameplay of the series.

But MGS3 had better boss battles and a better story IMO.

So over all I liked MGS3 better. (I played subsistence which is better than the original)

I think the story in MGS3 has an emotionally stronger story but having played MGS3 I find that while playing MGS4 all the themes and memories of MGS3 come up and have the same effect.

MGS4 is a better game because of MGS1/2 and especially 3.

How'd have thought Major Zero would have become that major a character!? (Unless I missed some story from the PSP games)

Love it

I've got Act 5 to go. I'll leave it to do on Sunday.

I am genuinely concerned for Snake. Not really about the story (although obviously that too) but if he can actually make it through to the end (if that makes sense.) As each act goes by he shows signs of getting weaker and weaker.

Like SotC and Eternal Darkness?

I never really got into Eternal Darkness and I didn't play SotC (although I really wanted to) so I can't compare.

Eternal Darkness character turning the undead in every area he went and SotC character was taking over everytime he killed a boss and turning his body into a weaker form.

Both coughing up blood and becoming white looking.

Guest Stefkov
Sorry Caris, but I edited so that it didn't spoil anything and so because "The Official MGS4 Thread" is a better thread title for the Official thread.

The problem with saying that is now I know it's a spoiler. I didn't know Rex vs Ray was any kind of spoiler. Now I know it is a spoiler.

All these frickin spoiler boxes. I'm not gonna be able to play it again till tomorrow night. All I want to do is open them all.

For some reason - mainly by how quick some of you have finished this game - this games seems less epic. What can actually make this game of the year? The story, the movies or the actual GAMEPLAY!?

It can't really be described in words.

To me it's just an awesome experiance and the game is very unique, which is one of the reasons why I find it so appealing.

Playing = believing!

On Act 5 now, mad boss battles lol. Havent rushed thorugh the game. Really enjoyed it so far. The story is crazy right now. Cant get enough!

I think this game will do well in the long run thanks to word of mouth. IMO ts already my most favourite game ever. :smile:

Kojima :bowdown: This is what gaming is about.

For some reason - mainly by how quick some of you have finished this game - this games seems less epic. What can actually make this game of the year? The story, the movies or the actual GAMEPLAY!?

Just because we finished it fast doesn't mean it makes it any less epic. We just did long sessions, my first day was playing it for over 11 hours straight, because it was so damn awesome, I just couldn't put it down. The whole package is breath takingly great.

The gameplay is top notch too, you can take situations and play them different ways. I loved using the camo suit to sneak my way past people, blending into a bush and then having that bush still on me in a cutscene is amusing, hey it's leaf snake :) I know for a fact that I haven't seen everything in the game, so I need to replay it.

MGS4 is a better game because of MGS1/2 and especially 3.

Indeed. MGS4 is a great game that is a lot better if you have played the earlier games in the series. (which I have). Act 4, is amazing. but mostly because of the "earlier games". Even some of the boss battles are sorts of Fan service.

But MGS3 is a great game even if you haven't played the other mgs games.

That is also one of the reasons I like 3 more than 4.

The problem with saying that is now I know it's a spoiler. I didn't know Rex vs Ray was any kind of spoiler. Now I know it is a spoiler.

All these frickin spoiler boxes. I'm not gonna be able to play it again till tomorrow night. All I want to do is open them all.

No spoilers, there was a scene in a trailer which had a battle between Rex and Ray.

THE START OF ACT 5 IS SO FUCKING STUPID!!! IT'S IMPOSSIBLE!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Tbh, I don't think I'll ever be able to complete the game. I just keep trying and trying, but I can't do it, no matter how hard I try....

HAHA! I just did it. It was driving me nuts!

Caris was right. Brute force!!!

It was really annoying because I could sneak as far as to see the door but I couldn't get past the last 10 feet. (AAAAAARGHH!!) There are about 6 gekkos you can take out with the uber rail gun you get of Crying Wolf and then you mop up the rest of the soldiers. Make sure to have your rations activated on your items so they are automatically used when you lose all your health. I used 2 rations to get past it.

Indeed. MGS4 is a great game that is a lot better if you have played the earlier games in the series. (which I have). Act 4, is amazing. but mostly because of the "earlier games". Even some of the boss battles are sorts of Fan service.

But MGS3 is a great game even if you haven't played the other mgs games.

That is also one of the reasons I like 3 more than 4.

I prefer a lot more because the controls are much easier and fighting your way out of trouble is actually a possibility. I played all the other MGS games for the story. I was never good at stealth.

But I'm loving 4 because it is easier to sneak and if you cock it up its not the end f the world.

I think you have to take the series as a whole as well. They are more than the sum of their parts.

Heres a question for everyone. What START did everyone get when playing the game for the 1st time?

Me and the lads were on about this yesterday at work as I brought it up and both of them didnt have a clue about the section I was describing. I got a scene with David Hayter in someform of spoof interview, 1 lad got a doctumentry about octopus and another lad got someform of body building advert.

Is there a set way to see all of these or are they just random?

Heres a question for everyone. What START did everyone get when playing the game for the 1st time?

Me and the lads were on about this yesterday at work as I brought it up and both of them didnt have a clue about the section I was describing. I got a scene with David Hayter in someform of spoof interview, 1 lad got a doctumentry about octopus and another lad got someform of body building advert.

Is there a set way to see all of these or are they just random?

I got a cooking type thing at the start. Showing it like a standard cookery show and then got out a snake and cut it in half.

I never realised there was different ones!