NEurope
Caris

The Official MGS4 Thread.

Also about the cut scenes, how do you pause them it doesn't say in the manual...Just if they are so long I may have to pause them from time to time. How the flashbacks work?

To pause you just press start, from there you can skip it or play it again.

Flashbacks work when someone mentions a name or a passed event you get the option to press X (I think it's X) which gives you a short burst of blurry images. You also get the chance to press L1 and look through Snakes eyes.

Flashbacks work when someone mentions a name or a passed event you get the option to press X (I think it's X) which gives you a short burst of blurry images. You also get the chance to press L1 and look through Snakes eyes.

Also hidden L1 parts as well.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Exclusive Watch

man0154-p.jpg

Only 500 units available worldwide, individually numbered 1 to 500 with a Konami certificate of authenticity and approved by Hideo Kojima.

Watch Gift box with MGS 4 print, black flock interior with matching cushion, Gamestation branding and black card exterior box with silver MGS 4 stamped logo.

This very limited and worldwide exclusive item will be £99.99 and a must have for all true Metal Gear Solid fans.

Watch Details:

• 316L Brushed stainless steel case and bracelet.

• 10 ATM water resistant.

• Reinforced Mineral Lens.

• Black dial w/ Luminous indicators and logo imprint. TACHYMETER on sub dial.

• All stainless steel Screw down crown protector and push buttons.

• Stainless steel buckle and case back.

• Chronograph Movement and battery JAPAN MADE: Citizen OS20.

• FUNCTIONS: chrono seconds and minutes, 24hr indicator & Date display.

• 3 year Battery life based on normal usage.

GameStation

thas solves that then...easy enough...

What about Dualshock 3 anyone? Should I wait for it to come in the post??

I got this game and did the whole of the first chapter. It is a quality game, I'm doing solid normal and it is the perfect difficulty, I die a few times but it isnt too frustrating.

Game is simply stunning, and the guy with diorrhoea(sp) is so funny. There are brilliant moments.

Completed this game about half an hour ago. One word: Amazing!!! There is so much stuff i loved about it.

I completed it in 19 and ahalf hours ish on Solid Normal difficulty. Does the game counter continue if u have paused the game or cut scene? Coz it didn't feel like i had played it that long but i could be wrong...

Metal Gear Solid Database

2591459392_8bd9d273d3.jpg

The MGS4 Database is a free, downloadable interactive application that contains the official knowledge base of everything that is Metal Gear, reaching all the way back to the very beginning of the franchise. Including complete storylines, character profiles, relationship diagrams, and much more! The MGS4 database is a great way to catch up for someone new to Metal Gear, as well as a useful resource for any veteran of the series, with complete official details on every aspect of the intricate Metal gear lore.

The MGS4 Database also contains a special feature – if you want to make use of the database, but have not yet fully played through MGS4 yet and are worried about spoilers – all MGS4 spoilers are “blacked out” until you’ve beaten MGS4. Give it a try!

But that’s not all, within MGS4, check out the EXTRAS option of the main menu (if you haven’t already). There’s already new, free downloadable content available for the game - with new camouflage and a new music track for the in game iPod. There will be more forthcoming, so be sure to check this often!

blog.us.playstation.com

I'm going to try to get the Altair costume, and the stealth camo on this next run. I've just completed the First Act, here's my current stats:

Time: 1hr 38mins

Kills: 13 (all done with the knife, using CQC)

Alert Phases: 0

Continues: 0

Oh. Hell. Yes! :awesome:

Got to this act today, I´m really starting to feel sorry for Snake by now after all that´s happened and now with half his face burned away. The beginning with the Metal Gear Solid part was pretty unexpected, I though my PS3 froze when I got the black screen. And getting to Shadow Moses when the music started playing and the flashbacks on the Helipad and by the Surveillance Camera got me really nostalgic. Of course I went through the upper vent to make it inside and the rats where still there as well leading the way.

:)

I'm going to try to get the Altair costume, and the stealth camo on this next run. I've just completed the First Act, here's my current stats:

Time: 1hr 38mins

Kills: 13 (all done with the knife, using CQC)

Alert Phases: 0

Continues: 0

Oh. Hell. Yes! :awesome:

You're good man, how do you do it? I find it hard to sneak without getting caught, yet you do it really fast too. Don't understand how you got past the FROGS without shooting.

As for me I just beat

Laughing Octopus - gets your blood pumping

You're good man, how do you do it? I find it hard to sneak without getting caught, yet you do it really fast too. Don't understand how you got past the FROGS without shooting.

I'm not as good as you think, lol. I did get spotted a bit, so it was a case of going back to the main menu and repeating sections. Also, skipping the cutscenes helps to make the overall time quicker.

My main tip for sneaking and CQCing is to get used to the PMC's gaurd patterns, and sneak up on them at the best moment. To get past the FROGS, you need to use non-lethal weapons. I used the tranq hangun (the name of it escapes me atm) on them, but only if they're not clinging to walls or ceilings. You also get a FROG figurine, which Snake gives to Sunny. ^^ If any of Rat Patrol 01 kill the FROGS, it doesn't count to your overall kill count.

I am quite stuck on the start of Act 2 atm. I can kill all the PMCs in the first area pretty easily. I tend to struggle after that though. :/ I'll try it tomorrow.

I'm dreading the start of Act 5...

Really? I tranqualised them all and picked all of their weapons up at least three times whilst looking for items. I remember there is a sniper rifle in the barn which i couldnt get but I got it later on off a pmc

Really? I tranqualised them all and picked all of their weapons up at least three times whilst looking for items. I remember there is a sniper rifle in the barn which i couldnt get but I got it later on off a pmc

Disappointing.

Ok, sod it, I can't be bothered to unlock Altair's costume on this run. I'm going for stealth camo now...

Ok, sod it, I can't be bothered to unlock Altair's costume on this run. I'm going for stealth camo now...

It's easy? Just hold everyone up and slit em.

MGS4 - 2nd Highest scoring console exclusive (This Gen)

MGS4 recently cracked the 95/100 mark on Metacritic. Making MGS4 the 2nd highest scoring console exclusive(This Gen).

The highest scoring console exclusive is held by 'Super Mario Galaxy' at 97/100.

With this, MGS4 now has higher scores than,

1) Gears of war (94/100)

2) Halo 3 (94/100)

3) Super Smash Bros. Brawl (94/100)

So didn't really get that many 8s then. Man the game is so damn good though!

It's easy? Just hold everyone up and slit em.

It would be easy if I didn't keep getting spotted all the time, plus I need 0 Alerts at the end of the game to get the stealth camo.

Also, I just had a thought. In Big Boss Extreme, is it ok to use the Instant Noodles (and any other healing items other than the Rations), or would they count against getting the Big Boss Camo? I'm tempted to do that next run tbh....

I could never get 0 alerts! Can't even get to MK.II without being spotted.

Well I started this game finally before coming to work (decided couldn't be bothered to wait for my DS3, although it has apparently turned up today in the post) and well just wow, everything about it.... I'm not even that far, just reached the Mk.II. But just wow so far...loved the bombshelter buffet, one of those unique kojima moments... Really looking forward to getting home and really digging into the game properly.

<pics>

Wow! Her likeness ingame is scarily accurate and realistic!

I could never get 0 alerts! Can't even get to MK.II without being spotted.

I'm just about to start act 4, with a total of 4hrs 8mins so far and 0 continues with 0 Alerts. : peace: I'm on Solid Normal mode. My time would have been a lot less too, if it wasn't for watching one or two of the awesome cutscenes, and the briefings for the extra facecamo.

Well I'm still not very into this at all..But I am still absolutely loving it. Whilst I am not claiming to be an ages old metal gear fan I have just played the first solid game recently and basically have covered myself in as much lore and story as I can without managing to play all the games (which I will do sooner or later)

One thing I was worried about as small and stupid as it sounds was the Drebin system. I had heard about it being a quick menu system to get weapons and I am glad they explained how the weapons are delivered via MK.II (which I think is incredibly awesome! Great way to Otacon to keep tags on you and also good way for them to make you scout out the area rather than just be given the map.)

The opening level is great I think as a way of showing the war. The very deliberate way in which the PMC's and the militia look the same (good old solid eye patch sorts that out though) as if its blurring the line between who is what. I think its a good idea to have this war at the beginning to show you how much things have degraded and how the world situation has diminised owing to the proxy wars. I love it.

What a game this is turning into, simply incredible I cannot wait to get into it even more.

EDIT;

One thing is really worrying me about the story and causing me grief as I do not get it;

I have just left Meryl after meetin up with her for the first time. Right so Liquid Ocelot through his company Outer Heaven run all of the PMC's. But the PMC's all contain the SOP system which is obviously run by the patriots, who are for intents and purposes the ultimate force in the world controlling everything, they set about getting Liquid to take over Shadow Moses by using Revolver Ocelot? Or was that Solidus Snake on his own that set all that up? But then in MGS2 Revolver Ocelot was working for the Patriots in making sure big shell and the new breed of Metal Gear were created? So now does Liquid Ocelot know about the level of control over his soldiers that would prevent them using the PMC's to rule the world? Now have a tied myself up all wrong and twisted, will all my questions be answered?

Hmm ok so I've got to grips with MGS Portable Ops now, slightly odd save system at first but I guess it makes sense seeing as the missions are short and involve revisiting locations, it's an interesting take on the tried and tested formula (what with the recruiting system) and an excellent continuation of story from MGS3, completed that recently and loved it. :smile:

Gonna try and get through Portable Ops as quickly as I can, should have my full version of MGS3 Subsistence arriving soon (I originally bought the MGS essentials for all three main MGS games) which I've bought for the second disc so I can play the original MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear II Solid Snake. ^^

Then it'll be onto MGS The Twin Snakes once more, MGS2 (only half completed it the first time) and then back to MGS4 to play it through again on Big Boss Hard mode. :heh:

It's amazing how MGS4 has made me want to play through the entire Metal Gear saga again (but this time properly) I'm loving every minute of it though so I don't mind. :)

Anyway, back to MGS Portable Ops!

Anyone got tips for...

...getting past the Gekkos and Scarabs in Casting Facility South, without being seen? I've tried about 5 times now, and keep getting spotted. It's doing my fucking head in!

Anyone got tips for...
...getting past the Gekkos and Scarabs in Casting Facility South, without being seen? I've tried about 5 times now, and keep getting spotted. It's doing my fucking head in!

Can't you sniper all the Gekkos with the rail gun from the door? I'm pretty sure it only goes into caution and not alert.

Can't you sniper all the Gekkos with the rail gun from the door? I'm pretty sure it only goes into caution and not alert.

I only just realised that tactic just a second ago, I've passed the area now, lol. It's pretty good too, as the Gekko explosions also destroy the Scarabs. Thanks for that though. ^^