NEurope
Caris

The Official MGS4 Thread.

I completed the game last night and the ending is immense. The whole game is to be honest.

At the end I got all the crappy awards though, i.e eagle and panther. Probably because I killed lots of guards unnecessarily. I don't think it's a totally honest reflection because I did use quite a lot of stealth.

Anyway, is someone willing to spoiler a list of easter eggs/ unlockables. I want to play through the game again without getting alerts. Any tips? I can just imagine some of this being very difficult, like the part just before laughing Octo where a few frogs are searching for you in the building. Also, do you have to quit the game in order to keep your save 'alert-free' if you are spotted?

Cheers.

How annoying is the 4th BB!!! Finally completed the game last night. Superb game but i think im gonna wait a month or 2 before replaying it, and hope for trophy support sooner than later

The 4th BB was easy. Maybe a bit anti-climactic until a certain somebody turned up at the end. :D

The 4th BB was easy. Maybe a bit anti-climactic until a certain somebody turned up at the end. :D

Agreed, that bit is fantastic! ^^ I think It's a great boss fight though, but I'm dreading it on Big Boss Extreme...

I'm thinking of going for the no kill bonus on Easy, will my items/camos carry over?

I'm thinking of going for the no kill bonus on Easy, will my items/camos carry over?

Yes, its really easy and quite fun because its so easy. :heh:

OMG at end of Act 4, totally fan service based but still loved it....gotta go to work now so not started Act 5 yet....so close to end I can feel it...getting a sense of how I think it will finish which I can still say I have kept spoiler free (made my podcast listening fun, having to fast forward all the time.

OMG at end of Act 4, totally fan service based but still loved it....gotta go to work now so not started Act 5 yet....so close to end I can feel it...getting a sense of how I think it will finish which I can still say I have kept spoiler free (made my podcast listening fun, having to fast forward all the time.

Without giving anything away i think u will be very surpised with the ending. I know i was and absolutly loved it ;)

WHAT? You've got no memory card?!

Hehe, i do love that bit...

When battling the 4th BB i tried changing the controller number thinking i was being clever by remembering it only for otacon to codec me saying i was wasting my time. ALso in Act 4 when otacon codecs to say switch to disk 2.

Many moments like that just made me laugh so much!

Yeah i love the game.

You can never get MGS done the same way as a movie!

Going to replay it for emblems i hope Konami patch MGS4 for trophies support.

So far on my second go i am still watching all the cutscenes since they are so great. I like how the intro is different each time. I wonder how many types there are?

Obviously on replay it says you get your good when you get to use MK2. Cant wait to get hidden guns.

Lol you can browse tv channels int he opening using L1 and R1.

Also been searching for Ipod tunes. You can access the Act briefings anytime and unlock stuff by saving at the end of it. Pretty cool.

Noticed on MK2 it says in tiny writing ont he scren OLED HD DISPLAY. lol.

So many easter eggs.

replaying on Big Boss. Going fo no kills first to orientate myself. My times are horrible though. Act 3 hours...

Solid Snake voice actor David Hayter was surprisingly candid at Anime Expo's centerpiece guest-of-honor panel, where he admitted to being frustrated at times with Metal Gear Solid series director Hideo Kojima's over-the-top scriptwriting and direction. He specifically called out the suicide scene highlighted in Metal Gear Solid 4 trailers, saying that Snake, a man who's killed thousands, shouldn't flinch at pulling the trigger on himself. "I didn't agree with that at all, and I begged them to change it, but I think it's still in the final game," he said. "I didn't buy it at all. I think it's weak for Snake to be killing other people and then not be able to kill himself when it's time. If he knows it's time, then it's time."

Hayter also revealed that wasn't the first time he's had issues with MGS scripts -- and one of the culprits should come as no surprise to longtime series fans. "It's a delicate thing to discuss love blooming on the battlefield with Otacon," he admitted, describing the original Metal Gear Solid's notorious unintentionally homoerotic cut-scene. Hayter also revealed that the actors "had a tough time" getting through the alternate ending of MGS, where Snake and Otacon are seen riding off into the sunset on a snowmobile. "It felt like it was written to be romantic," Hayter said. "It was just humiliating." He did mention that MGS3 and MGS4 had fewer script issues than the first two games, and he now has more power to veto particular lines. Still, he only has so much pull. "If I have a big speech about love on the battlefield, well, that's what I have to talk about," he said. "Some things are easier to say than others."

Hayter did offer unsolicited praise for Kojima, though, saying that the MGS boss has influenced his own day job as a Hollywood scriptwriter. "Kojima and I have different styles," he said, "but I've certainly learned things from him, especially about ambiguity and telling a story without giving all the answers."

Despite the fact that voicing Snake has surely opened more live-action acting roles for Hayter, he says he's reluctant to make that jump. "Over the course of the '90s, a few of my friends got to be fairly famous, and it got a little crazy," he said. "And I like to quote Michael J. Fox: 'I've been rich, and I've been famous, and rich is better.' I love acting, but I don't want to promote myself like that anymore." Hayter said he's content with his life as a voice actor and a scriptwriter.

Hayter also dismissed charges that Solid Snake simply apes Kurt Russell's Snake Plissken character from the film Escape from New York, claiming that he's simply using "the toughest voice I can muster. Besides, Kurt Russell's voice is more whispery." In fact, Hayter said he intentionally tried to stay away from any comparison to Russell when originally coming up with the voice. "Quite frankly, I didn't want [Konami] to get sued," he said -- and laughing, added, "I still don't know how they got around that!"

With Sony seemingly intent on making a Metal Gear Solid movie -- with Hayter petitioning to write the script -- one fan wondered who should play Snake on the silver screen. Hayter said that he's definitely out of the running himself, but that Hugh Jackman or Viggo Mortensen are the two best choices -- and frankly, I can't think of fans being disappointed if either suggestion comes to fruition.

Hayter was gracious and exceedingly patient with the fans, despite the fact that far too many seemingly waited in line simply to beg him to give shoutouts to their fansites. Hayter was smartly self-referential in some cases -- for example, he affected Snake's gruff growl and proclaimed that he wouldn't mention a site with "ninja" in its name because "I don't speak to ninjas!" To be honest, it was frustrating that questions weren't screened, especially since Hayter only had an hour to spend. Though I didn't mind the panel's egalitarian setup -- as press, I had to get in line like everyone else -- Hayter doesn't make many public appearances like this, and a few shameless self-promoters dragged down the electricity of the event and took up far too much valuable time.

1UP

That's pretty interesting, but please, no film.

Look what happened to Tomb Raider and Doom.

That's pretty interesting, but please, no film.

Look what happened to Tomb Raider and Doom.

Tomb Raider wasn't 2 bad....

I totally agree with Doom though!

Fail

I think that the definition of epic in the Oxford dictionary should be redefined as ' Play Metal Gear Solid 1 , 2 , 3 and 4.'

Edit: http://uk.rottentomatoes.com/m/lara_croft_tomb_raider/

lol. i was thought it was an ok film but could of been alot better.

Like you said I don't think metal gear needs to be made into a movie, it is pretty much one already with all the cut scenes and the like.

Well there is that, but there is such a risk of them killing it I wouldn't want it anyway. Just leave the series alone apart from maybe spin-offs for now, let Snake remain a classic and let him age in peace.

Well there is that, but there is such a risk of them killing it I wouldn't want it anyway. Just leave the series alone apart from maybe spin-offs for now, let Snake remain a classic and let him age in peace.

Totally agree. I would be very suprised if they would even allow for a film to be made.

Ok so finally complete this today, just a few hours ago. Personally loved it...whilst I don't pretend to be hardcore fan of the series I have dabbled in and out of the series since MG on the NES and been eager to see the end of this series and storyline. As for the appearance of a certain someone, I have to be honest I am a bit meh;

Big Boss, seriously I got over him being dead long before his corpse was shown to die. For me Noami's post death reveal of the true extent of the worm was far more a potent plot exposition. I guess they did both have different purposes. The worm to destory the infrastructure of the AI's and Big Boss to destory the people who had caused it all, himself and Major Zero. I still don't think that he had to come back and the notion that they were all in cohorts to bring him back. I guess a Raiden had his part to play in aquiring his body and the bodies of Liquid and Solidus to put him back together. Also the grand plan was that everyone planned everything to destory the Patriots system. So guessing Liquid Snake did actually die on Shadow Moses and never truly possessed Ocelot, who was doing it all as a ruse to deserve the AI. So it was totally Ocelot by the end of the game.

Also am I right in thinking if the events of MGS 1 and 2 had gone as planned without intervention this is how things would have panned out anyway with the patriots destoryed and an outer haven sorted of sorts.

Overall I am not totally gutted about the Big Boss reveal and it was done in a very clever way with revealing that he was in the game. The credits rolling and his name showing I was suddenly what the fuck he wasn't in the game.

Loved the final battle, even though it was limited it still distilled Snakes story down to what it has always been about him vs Liquid.

Just so glad I managed to get this far and not have it spoilt... Gonna wait and see if Sony announce reinstating BC to all PS3's and if not get a PS2 so I can play through them all in chronological order, hopefully MGS4 will have trophy support by then!

I got it on 11th June and finished it on 13th June it was so good.

Doing a 3rd easy run. Unlocked alot of stuff now. Didnt realise there were new downloads in the extra section. Got the Tangeshima gun and Bandana form 2nd run.

Got nearly all the Ipod music. Just 1 more unlock and holdup as well as helping some rebels.

Using Metal Gear MK II alot now as well

well, i got it saterday, just finnished now. gotta say, it was a great game,

dont wanna be spoiling it for any one, so i'll write it all

well, the first two missions where my favorites, felt more exciting with all the outher soilders about. wasnt a big fan of mission 3, tailing that guy was more frustrating then exciting. mission 4 was good, though it made me sad, thinking how snake had been so young and strong, now was so old. the boss battles were good though. mission 5 was also pretty good, but way too short. final boss battle was decent, but not great. i enjoyed all the B&B fights, especialy how there emotions spilled over to the battle field. got the eagle rank, plus anouther couple of crap awards.

over all 9/10, as its my only ps3 game, i'll play it again.