NEurope
Caris

The Official MGS4 Thread.

Hmm...despite getting this a day before release I still don't feel a great motivation to play through it. I'm somewhere in Act 2, and was quite enjoying it at first. I find MGO considerably harder than in the beta, where I could come first quite often. People seem to be getting headshots really easy with the M4, while using the zoom in on it for me makes it hard to aim and shoot people, while zoomed out the large shooting square ('crosshairs') seems to vague to headshot anyone.

thats why I at least want to get MGS1 done...plus have watched and read plenty of other stuff about MGS2...

Its might be more important to read about MGS3.

Its might be more important to read about MGS3.

ok..well have read some stuff on that and the metal gear saga dvd was pretty handy I'll give that a few more reads...Can't wait to start it, my dualshock 3 has been posted today and I'm onto the second disc of MGS1 so hopefully will be able to start this soon, theres not much on the second disc is there? not as long as I first?

Na but you have that lame key card bit. I'll let you figure that out. :heh:

Does anyone know that if you use a headset on single player your Codec calls come through it?

Gonna try it soon, sounds cool.

I tried it but my head set is a bit crap. You only hear Otacn when he says stuff while you are playing, it doesn't play codec messages through it which is a bit lame.

I play the game with headphones anyway, it sounds much better.

Just started act 5! I'm 15 hours into it now, lol.

Loving this game so much!

Oh and this boss i had so much trouble with!

VAMP! It didn't click with me how to do it, think on his fourth regeneration i looked on the net how to do it, i felt so stupid when i read how!

Oh and i also loved playing as Rex, hehe

Na but you have that lame key card bit. I'll let you figure that out. :heh:

yeah tell me about it...I've heard about it, never quite reached the end last time round...

‘Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots’ flies the flag for Konami at the top of the All Formats Chart, becoming the 2nd fastest-selling PS3 game in the UK (behind ‘GTA IV’ but 2,000 units ahead of ‘GT5: Prologue’).

Released on Thursday only on Sony’s next-gen format, MGS4 denies ‘Lego Indiana Jones’ a second week at No1 despite sales of the multi-format LucasArts game falling by only 9%, bolstered by strong sales of the DS version and the release of a new PSP version. MGS4 beats MGS3 by 24,000 units, but falls 14,000 units short of overturning the launch week sales of the now legendary MGS2.

MGS4 Japan numbers for June 12 to June 15 (4 days): 476,334

The numbers includes the regular edition, special edition, premium pack and the welcome box bundles.

first day - (170k SE, 130k Regular), first week - 476,334, hardware - 77,208k

It is now the best selling PS3 game in Japan.

First week figures for the MGS series:

• MGS3 - 487,156
  • MGS2 - 456,747
  • MGS1 - 316,833

• MGS3 - 819,807 (Total as of Dec 2005, released in Dec 2004)
  • MGS2 - 789,179 (Total as of Dec 2002, released in Dec 2001)
  • MGS1 - 674,591 (Total as of Dec 1998, released in Sept 1998)

Oh and this boss i had so much trouble with!

VAMP! It didn't click with me how to do it, think on his fourth regeneration i looked on the net how to do it, i felt so stupid when i read how!

Oh and i also loved playing as Rex, hehe

Yeah, I did the same, it made me feel stupid too, lol. It's so obvious once you see it isn't it? And that latter section is epic!

In Act 1, in the hotel, if you get to the end without killing any of the FROGs, Snake will find a mini FROG statue and give it to Sunny. Pretty cool little thing.

:D

Despite going straight in at number one in the software charts and being the biggest PlayStation 3-exclusive release so far, Metal Gear Solid 4 has failed to prove a major driver of hardware in the UK, with Chart-Track revealing a "minimal" spike of seven percent over its opening weekend.

The UK sales monitor revealed last night that Konami's hugely anticipated blockbuster, which released worldwide last Thursday (June 12), has become the second fastest-selling PS3 title in the UK after Grand Theft Auto IV, and 14,000 short of the opening weekend figure recorded by Metal Gear Solid 2 on PS2 in 2002.

Speaking to GamesIndustry.biz, Chart-Track director Dorian Bloch played down the game's impact on hardware, revealing: "There's not a lot to say about it – it had minimal impact really. Units were up by seven percent."

But it was a different story for Nintendo, which launched three new flavours of DS - red, turqoise and green - across Europe last Friday (June 13).

"The new colours had a massive impact – sales were up hugely," said Bloch, who also broke down the performance of each model, adding: "Black is still the king, followed by red, pink, white, turqoise, green and silver." Black accounted for "more than a third" of DS sales. Chart-Track does not publish specific hardware sales figures.

In addition to the new colours, Nintendo also launched a new DS bundle featuring Brain Training, specifically targetting Father's Day gift buyers.

"Father's Day had quite a big impact on DS because there was a specific Father's Day pack available - which Nintendo also did for Mother's Day - which was quite important," Bloch noted. "DS is still going some, basically."

The UK sales monitor further revealed that Brain Training has spent a massive 74 weeks in the all formats top 10 – just five weeks short of current record holder, the original Tomb Raider.

woot...my dualshock 3 has been posted to me, can't wait to get stuck into MGS4

In Act 2, where you have to use night vision to look for Naomi's footsteps, I noticed there was handprints on the ground too. Upon following them, I arrived at a plaque of handprints of some of the game's creators! Pretty cool really!

UFO landing site and then the voiceclip from Campbell from MGS2.

SOUTHAMERICAMOUNTAINTRAIL.jpg

Rosemary's tits can be move about with the controller

The soundtrack to this game is made of win, it's so full of emotion and is a fitting and truly soulfull soundtrack, It feels like I've spent more time listening to it than playing the actual game since completing it. :heh:

Really glad I went for the ltd edition :smile: it's rekindled my interest in the MGS saga once more and I'm now playing through them again, starting with MGS3, I also ordered the proper subsistence edition so that I can play the original MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear II, not the bastadised NES versions. >>

Placed a bid on a cheap copy of Portable Ops too (not the seemingly pointless, if cheaper + version) so my PSP might actually be getting used again :o after that I'll play through MGS... (I want to play the original PS version but lets face it, the Twin Snakes remake is better IMO and I don't give two shits that Snake jumps over a missile in it, in fact it's awesome) then MGS2 cos I never properly completed it first time and then MGS4 again because it's so damn amazing. ^^

The soundtrack to this game is made of win, it's so full of emotion and is a fitting and truly soulfull soundtrack, It feels like I've spent more time listening to it than playing the actual game since completing it. :heh:

Really glad I went for the ltd edition :smile: it's rekindled my interest in the MGS saga once more and I'm now playing through them again, starting with MGS3, I also ordered the proper subsistence edition so that I can play the original MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear II, not the bastadised NES versions. >>

Placed a bid on a cheap copy of Portable Ops too (not the seemingly pointless, if cheaper + version) so my PSP might actually be getting used again :o after that I'll play through MGS... (I want to play the original PS version but lets face it, the Twin Snakes remake is better IMO and I don't give two shits that Snake jumps over a missile in it, in fact it's awesome) then MGS2 cos I never properly completed it first time and then MGS4 again because it's so damn amazing. ^^

Your doing exactly what I am going to do although I am actually waiting for the rumoured PS2 backwards compatabilty on 40 gigs to arise as I don't really want to have to buy a PS2...

Your doing exactly what I am going to do although I am actually waiting for the rumoured PS2 backwards compatabilty on 40 gigs to arise as I don't really want to have to buy a PS2...

This is why I'm glad I bought that USA 60GB PS3 when I did, full backwards compatibility, I got most of the games I wanted cheaper and I got the MGS Essentials collection (MGS 1 2 and 3 in a box set) which is currently only released in NTSC and can be bought for the equivelant of less than £20. :smile:

But yeah it's well worth having backwards compatability on your PS3, the games themselves look a bit nicer too. :heh:

This is why I'm glad I bought that USA 60GB PS3 when I did, full backwards compatibility, I got most of the games I wanted cheaper and I got the MGS Essentials collection (MGS 1 2 and 3 in a box set) which is currently only released in NTSC and can be bought for the equivelant of less than £20. :smile:

But yeah it's well worth having backwards compatability on your PS3, the games themselves look a bit nicer too. :heh:

yeah...I guess I was one of the suckers really..as soon as the price dropped I tried to get a 60gb but to no avail so picked up the 40gb anyway. In a way I don't wanna have to buy a PS2 just for 2 games, so hope the rumours of a software solution later in the year are true. Otherwise no real solution for me.

EDIT

Wait a sec didn't MGS2 come out on xbox? As MGS2; Substance is it any good? I sold my xbox and all my games when I got my PS3 but my dad still has one I could dig out...is it worth out? It's a solution atleast I guess...

I got the bundle yesterday, so I'm now also a PS3 owner. :) I've set it next to my Wii and man that thing is huge. :p

I played Act 1 until you meet up with Meryl and her team. Saved and quit right when the Frogs attack began, because I wanted to watch the football match.

Until now it has been amazing, especially the graphics are unreal, I love how it seamlessly switches between cutscene and gameplay. Had to get used to the controls a bit at first, causing me to get killed a few times, but I'm getting the hang of it again now.

How much is too much to pay for the Limited Edition of MGS4?

Wait a sec didn't MGS2 come out on xbox? As MGS2; Substance is it any good? I sold my xbox and all my games when I got my PS3 but my dad still has one I could dig out...is it worth out? It's a solution atleast I guess...

It came out on the Xbox? *checks ebay* Wow never knew that, i think i'll buy it.

With the looks of it, it won't wok on the 360 though.

Right I have finally completed Metal GEar Solid. So am about to embark on MSG4 save from a few little questions I have. Should I wait for my Dualshock 3 to arrive before I start, I've heard some people say it makes the experience so much better....

Also about the cut scenes, how do you pause them it doesn't say in the manual...Just if they are so long I may have to pause them from time to time. How the flashbacks work?