NEurope
Daft

LittleBigPlanet Thread

Media Molecule Looking For Little Big Planet Level Design Talent

Reckon you could knock up an awesome level for Little Big Planet? If you are right, you might just end up with a job.

Media Molecule has revealed plans to keep a close eye on user-created levels in Little Big Planet to see if any talented designers float to the surface.

LBP producer Pete Smith could not completely dismiss rumors that Media Molecule will resell popular user-created levels, but said that the company would like to get popular designers on board creating official content for the game.

"If a user becomes known as being great at making levels, I can't say we wouldn't but I don't think we'd want to take his level and then charge people for it, because it's free - that's the whole premise of the game," said Smith, "However, we will be aware of who those awesome designers are and certainly there's the potential to get them building levels as part of the dev team."

http://kotaku.com/5044039/media-molecule-looking-for-little-big-planet-level-design-talent

I'd love to think I could make awesome levels and get recognised but we know that'll never really happen. :heh:

My money is on that being an exceptional PR stunt.

I don't think so. They aren't running a competition or anything, the producer simply stated it as a possibility should they come across anyone with talent to spare. It's not really so different to recruiting people from the mod scene, and Valve has proved how effective a strategy that can be.

Now stop crushing my dreams!

Love the videos for this. Seems like we can make levels and challenges quite easily. I think alot of people will love this game.

Is it me..or aren't they very good?

It's me..probably..lol

Nah it's not you, they do look crap.

I want:

sackboyknit2.jpg

I can't help but think it would be really annoying to not be able to have your own 2D background if you wanted to. Maybe even have a moveable 2d background like being able to cut out shapes (e.g a cloud from a sky background) and then be able to slide it sideways and back or something.

If a game similar to LBP was on the wii, it would immedietly be labled as 'kiddy'.

Most likely... but its not coming out for 'that' console. ;)

If a game similar to LBP was on the wii, it would immedietly be labled as 'kiddy'.

Your nor the only one who thinks that;

Little Big Mario

I posted this on my blog. The concept of Little Big Planet should be a Nintendo project, they have the pedigree and have been left behind...

Most likely... but its not coming out for 'that' console. ;)

I know. I'm just making conversation.

Your nor the only one who thinks that;

Little Big Mario

I posted this on my blog. The concept of Little Big Planet should be a Nintendo project, they have the pedigree and have been left behind...

Hmm... i'm actually glad MM went with sony, with better online functionality and graphics.

I know. I'm just making conversation.

Hmm... i'm actually glad MM went with sony, with better online functionality and graphics.

I know. Sorry, it was my lame attempt at a joke (i don't think much of the wii at the mo, its just collecting dust)

I totally agree with second comment as well.

I know. Sorry, it was my lame attempt at a joke (i don't think much of the wii at the mo, its just collecting dust)

I totally agree with second comment as well.

Yeh theres not much on the wii atm. But 2009 seems to be good, in the long run though I think wii will be one of the best Nintendo consoles ever.

Theres some promising games on the horizon besides Mad World, but if people only look at Wii for it's graphics then those people will never be satisfied.

//OFFTOPIC

Yeh theres not much on the wii atm. But 2009 seems to be good, in the long run though I think wii will be one of the best Nintendo consoles ever.

Theres some promising games on the horizon besides Mad World, but if people only look at Wii for it's graphics then those people will never be satisfied.

//OFFTOPIC

Wii is a fine console but 'most' (people unlike us) Wii owners dont get too involved in their games. Many are non gamers, they treat games as less than equal compared to other forms of entertainment or were simply brought by non gamers like parents who worry video games will ruin their children.

Wii takes advantage of the negative gaming stereotypes and is a product that endorses them which is one big reason why it is so successful.

Look at software sales on the platform. Games on Wii generally are low attention span, low depth, low value games. Thats what sells. Thats where companies have found their biggest success. Whats good is subjective and good to a Wii owner is quite different from what people like around here. I thought Cooking Mama was not even as good as many free flash games but the game is a million seller ahead of the type of 3rd party games many here would like see selling well.

LBP's big focus is content creation. If people dont participate and take the concept seriously it will fail. It wont be a huge game but its the start of something new. The idea of LBP is a big leap for console gaming in general. Any console user can create and share in a meaningful way that has not been done before.

Wii is a fine console but 'most' (people unlike us) Wii owners dont get too involved in their games. Many are non gamers, they treat games as less than equal compared to other forms of entertainment or were simply brought by non gamers like parents who worry video games will ruin their children.

Wii takes advantage of the negative gaming stereotypes and is a product that endorses them which is one big reason why it is so successful.

Look at software sales on the platform. Games on Wii generally are low attention span, low depth, low value games. Thats what sells. Thats where companies have found their biggest success. Whats good is subjective and good to a Wii owner is quite different from what people like around here. I thought Cooking Mama was not even as good as many free flash games but the game is a million seller ahead of the type of 3rd party games many here would like see selling well.

LBP's big focus is content creation. If people dont participate and take the concept seriously it will fail. It wont be a huge game but its the start of something new. The idea of LBP is a big leap for console gaming in general. Any console user can create and share in a meaningful way that has not been done before.

Ok but wasn't PS2 famous for selling shit like the endless fifa and need for speed sequels/clones?

But it still ended up with some of the best games from last-gen.

If your only judging wii by what sells the most in the top 10 then your not looking at the whole picture.

And just for the record, the only non-game I own on the wii is wii sports. My point being, i'm sure there are millions of other gamers with a wii console who prefer to buy more traditional games like myself but are also looking for something a little different which can't be brought on the rival systems.

History has tought us that the market leader always gets the most games, unfortunatly that also includes shit like Dogz and that ridiculous monkey sim. :shakehead

So my prediction stands that Wii will become one of the best consoles ever.

As for LBP, I watched a trailer on it yesterday and the creator explained LBP will be a product that will grow over time.

Ok but wasn't PS2 famous for selling shit like the endless fifa and need for speed sequels/clones?

But it still ended up with some of the best games from last-gen.

Wii is not the new PS2. Its entirely different. NFS and Fifa are nothing like Dogz or Bratz etc. In fact there are many fans of Fifa and NFS even if they have their ups and downs. But the point is the games and the customers are different overall. Wii is selling far more than PS2 ever was.

If your only judging wii by what sells the most in the top 10 then your not looking at the whole picture.

And just for the record, the only non-game I own on the wii is wii sports. My point being, i'm sure there are millions of other gamers with a wii console who prefer to buy more traditional games like myself but are also looking for something a little different which can't be brought on the rival systems.

As i was implying outside of nintendo's own games there isnt much. The focus is on people who hardly play games. Thats where the money is.

History has tought us that the market leader always gets the most games, unfortunatly that also includes shit like Dogz and that ridiculous monkey sim. :shakehead

Well i dont know how many games Wii gets, but this generation the market is much more segmented than ever. The consoles and their customers are more different than ever.

The smartest thing any developer and publisher can do is make sure they target their customers correctly. As with PS2, large userbase means little when it comes to success of individual software. The old ways are dead now. There will probably never be a single console for everyone in the future.

So my prediction stands that Wii will become one of the best consoles ever.

Subjective.Now 'Popular', i could agree with.

As for LBP, I watched a trailer on it yesterday and the creator explained LBP will be a product that will grow over time.

Well its user driven so it depends on users. I have no idea how it will fare. Its hyped with people like us but how about outside of game forums? How do you explain the concept to alot of PS3 owners int he dark? Also Sony's first party games may be good but popularity is another matter.

Well its user driven so it depends on users. I have no idea how it will fare. Its hyped with people like us but how about outside of game forums? How do you explain the concept to alot of PS3 owners int he dark? Also Sony's first party games may be good but popularity is another matter.

SingStar has to be the most popular casual game I know.

Similarly I've heard a lot of people go on about Buzz.

I think LittleBigPlanet will have a big launch but I also think it'll be a slow burner through word of mouth. With the flexibility of the editor I wouldn't be surprised to see loads of stuff on youtube like film parodies/trailers and other little skits that non-gamer would definitely recognise.

I'd love to see LBP licensed out as a platform with maybe movie studios developing levels for film promotions. We already know that the KillZone team are doing something so why not other media.

In the end it depends on how Sony handle it. I think they should push it real hard because it has a load of potential.

Yeah i guess you right. Word of mouth is the big thing for this game. Especially given user interaction. They are the ones that have to spread the word essentially. :smile:

So i guess competitions once the game has launched or theme days etc. would be cool.

Wii is not the new PS2. Its entirely different. NFS and Fifa are nothing like Dogz or Bratz etc. In fact there are many fans of Fifa and NFS even if they have their ups and downs. But the point is the games and the customers are different overall. Wii is selling far more than PS2 ever was.

My argument isn't about wii being the only console you'll ever need, (maybe my refrence to the PS2 made you think this?). The point i'm trying to make is, Wii is a console that can appeal to a lot of different demographs. It's just that the casual games seem to get the most lime-lite.

GTA IV is slowly falling down the charts and now theres a DS version coming out early next year. What does that tell you, it tells you big name developers and publishers are starting to see Nintendo platforms as viable sources of revenue, not just for 'throw shit and hope it sticks kind of titles'.

Judging by this N-europe article: Take Two Talk GTA & Nintendo

Take Two are willing to do even more to improve there relationship with Nintendo, does that include GTA Wii, who knows?

What the CEO of Take Two said was:

"It's not a one-way relationship in any way. Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars is not even the first step, but an important step, in continuing to develop that relationship."

As i was implying outside of nintendo's own games there isnt much. The focus is on people who hardly play games. Thats where the money is.

Yeh just like the only games that sell on Xbox360 are mostly shooters and GTA IV. And the only games worth owning on PS3 are pretty much 1st party titles and the over-rated MGS4.

I can play the generalization game too.

Well i dont know how many games Wii gets, but this generation the market is much more segmented than ever. The consoles and their customers are more different than ever.

How can the market be segmented when it's contantly changing?

Subjective.Now 'Popular', i could agree with.

I wasn't asking you to agree with me, just acknowledge that Wii is destined to become one of the greatest (not for all) gaming platforms ever released by Nintendo, weather you like it or not. :heh::smile:

http://kotaku.com/5046401/get-your-sackboy-included-in-littlebigplanet

custom_1220795790357_costume_lbp_SackZombie.jpg

The Media Molecule folks are asking gamers to create a SackBoy for possible inclusion in an upcoming free DLC for LittleBigPlanet.

To take part you need to hit up the site, download their template, slap on your own design and send it to the email address listed. You need to be at least 13 to enter.

Entries need to be received by Sept. 30. The team will select a winning design from Europe, Japan and America within xix weeks of the contest wrapping up.

While that design gets a free trip to the PSN down the line, the winner gets only the fame of having their character show up in the game. What? No free copy of the game, no LittleBigPlanet schwag? Seems a little cheap.

Pretty cool.

Sorry Lilster, but you've basically just posted loads of random crap about the Wii being brilliant, when at the moment it's clearly not. It didn't appeal to my demograph because there only a games that hae depth to them. GTA isn't at all why I bought the PS3 either seeing as there are so many better games available or are coming out.

'Metal Gear Solid 4 is overrated' ..... You don't belong here! Do you realise how much stuff you can do in this game?