N-Europe

Is euthanasia ethical?

Kirkatronics

If someone requests assisted suicide, they should receive counseling, but if they still cannot be dissuaded, then by all means, if you want to jump, jump, especially if you are in pain or your quality of life is appalling.

But suicide leaves other people with a problem.

If someone jumps, it leaves massive carry on effects.

Close friends and family may do it too

Close family and friends will get upset

The public may feel upset about it

It wastes time into investigations

Someone has to clean it up

And in England, QOL can always be improved. If theres problems, theres methods of getting it sorted.

But suicide leaves other people with a problem.

If someone jumps, it leaves massive carry on effects.

Close friends and family may do it too

Close family and friends will get upset

The public may feel upset about it

It wastes time into investigations

Someone has to clean it up

I use the would jump as a general synonym for suicide. I believe that suicide is indeed a very, very bad thing. However, with euthanasia, I can understand it. It shouldn't be unexpected, and could well be a relief for many families. Also, there wouldn't be an investigation.

I use the would jump as a general synonym for suicide. I believe that suicide is indeed a very, very bad thing. However, with euthanasia, I can understand it. It shouldn't be unexpected, and could well be a relief for many families. Also, there wouldn't be an investigation.

Sorry, i didnt quite understand what you meant lol.

If the QOL thing was about disease, rather than life experience. I believe its right. But if its just someone in good health, or relativly good, they shouldnt be aloud.

Sorry, i didnt quite understand what you meant lol.

If the QOL thing was about disease, rather than life experience. I believe its right. But if its just someone in good health, or relativly good, they shouldnt be aloud.

Ok, I don'tlike correcting people (unless I hate them then its different) but for some reason dear this is bugging me, it's allowed, not aloud, aloud would be hearing something.

But yeah sorry ^.^

I reckon if a person doesn't wish to be here, even in perfect health, it is their life and should do with it as they see fit.

Though the ripple effects do worry me, if it were to become legal, the amount of suffering the family still has to be put through, but as the_fish said without an investigation it might be easier on the family.

Ok, I don'tlike correcting people (unless I hate them then its different) but for some reason dear this is bugging me, it's allowed, not aloud, aloud would be hearing something.

But yeah sorry ^.^

I reckon if a person doesn't wish to be here, even in perfect health, it is their life and should do with it as they see fit.

Though the ripple effects do worry me, if it were to become legal, the amount of suffering the family still has to be put through, but as the_fish said without an investigation it might be easier on the family.

I truthfully didnt know that about aloud, and allowed.

Does that mean you hate me? :/

They have an investigation to make sure it wasnt homocide.

haha no ^.^, it was just bugging me.
^^

Cant stand being not liked lol.

Makes me feel uneasy.

I think it should be allowed for the people who cannot live their own lives. The ones who just rely on others to get them through (I mean old people here, not lazy people).

People who are suffering with illness should be allowed to go.

Yeah, illness is a good reason.

Wait, are you talking about anyone being able to have euthanasia or just really ill people?

Anyway, I think it's a good thing for people who are ill and will not get better. Helps them to end the suffering. Already being practised here and I think euthanasia numbers went up this year. If the person wants it to end, then I think they should have that option. And even though it's painful for the family, it's also a relief to know a loved one no longer has to suffer.

For people who are not ill though... not sure what my stance is on that. Suicide is a horrible thing...

It strikes me as strange how human beings compare euthanasia in animals and humans. I mean, who's to say that a humans life is of more worth than an animal's life?

An animal is put down, because it is in pain pretty simply and legally. A human is not, because its oh so "taboo" and very illegal....

Is it still illegal in the UK? I'm sorry, I really don't know. =O

I really think it should be legal. Really helps a lot of people.

It should be legal if there is consent by two doctors (i.e. two doctors agree that the situation - as in illness - is really that bad).

edit: Is it really much different to turning off a life support machine if someone's in a really bad coma?

Guest Stefkov

But yeah sorry ^.^

The Grammar Police. To Serve and Correct. Welcome to the force.

If someone is in a lot of pain, their life can't get any better from the situation they are in and they request a humane way to die then why should that be illegal.

Turning off their life support is fine, no-ones comitting a crime, the person can just say he's feeling a little better and would like to try and breath, or whatever, on his own to make up an excuse.

But what would be considered acceptable?

People would have so many appeals it wouldnt be funny.

I'm not a doctor so I can't answer this too well but any condition that is degenerative (is that the term?) and has reached a point beyond any semblance of normalcy is gone. You should also have to sign something, like organ donation, saying you'd accept it.

Also like Cube said, the consent of two doctors, or something along those lines, sounds like a good idea.

This might sound harsh, but if you are able to kill yourself of your own accord, you shouldn't be considered for euthanasia.

The problem I have with Euthanasia is its roots. It was largely used by the nazis to get rid of people with incurable diseases and mental illnesses (they did it in private hospitals without the family's permission) back in the late 30's to mid 40's, when most of the victims still had alot to offer. Propaganda videos from that time would distastefully depict young beautiful people with diseases wanting to be killed and then would make out their killers to be saints. When infact the ideology of the perfect race was behind it all.

With that said, I do agree to an extent with older people who are in great pain and suffering to be allowed to die. As in a twisted sort of way they have earnt their right to decide. But legalize it in this country (I think its legal in some places in europe) and you get a bunch of mentally unstable freaks using it for stupid circumstances.

Im 50/50 on the issue

I'm a fucking libertine... if you don't have control over your own life, how exactly are you a free individual?

Fuck yes, euthanasia should be a given right!!!

It's one of those things that really reveals how conditioned our "freedom" is.

It's funny how unaware we are of the level of control we are subjected to. Oh well, guess it makes sense, the perfect slave is the one who believes he is free.

But I'm getting off topic, here.

@OW: Of course we aren't free. Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluded. However let's not derail this thread. If anybody wants to discuss freedom then make a thread.

On topic: I think euthanasia whould be allowed with the consent of the person and the consent of a doctor.

Also (I may be wrong so I apologize if I am) but euthanasia and suicide are different. Euthanasia is the act of killing somebody else to put them out of their misery. Suicide is the act of killing yourself.