N-Europe

Toshiba Accepts Defeat to Blu-Ray

Gizmo

I know it isn't HD, but I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing lots more of DVD the coming years, and digital distribution afterwards - no Blu-Ray in between.

Blu-Ray can be a success once the prices come on down to DVD level. But i agree that DVD's can peacefully co-exist with Blu-Ray

I really don't want to see a digital world of films and games on hard drives. I want my discs. I'm glad that I can have all my music on my laptop and I can carry a selection of it around on my iPhone, but I don't see films as the same thing. I like to watch films in different places. I might take a film around to someones house and watch it there.

I don't see it as quite the same as music. Digitally renting films is a great idea, but I like to physically own all of my other stuff.

I really don't want to see a digital world of films and games on hard drives. I want my discs. I'm glad that I can have all my music on my laptop and I can carry a selection of it around on my iPhone, but I don't see films as the same thing. I like to watch films in different places. I might take a film around to someones house and watch it there.

I don't see it as quite the same as music. Digitally renting films is a great idea, but I like to physically own all of my other stuff.

I imagine it would be more something like Sky+ crossed with PC Anywhere. You go to your friends house, don't fancy any of the films he has, put your username and password into his set top box and there's your HD movie collection, ready to be streamed.

Just like newsapers still exist, even with television, radio and intrnet, means that media can coexist. There will always be people who love their stuff phsyical, though I'm sure e'll all go digit&l sooon. Maybe Matrixlike?

Its offical:

Toshiba Announces Discontinuation of HD DVD Businesses

19 February, 2008

Company Remains Focused on Championing Consumer Access to High Definition Content

TOKYO--Toshiba Corporation today announced that it has undertaken a thorough review of its overall strategy for HD DVD and has decided it will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders. This decision has been made following recent major changes in the market. Toshiba will continue, however, to provide full product support and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

HD DVD was developed to offer consumers access at an affordable price to high-quality, high definition content and prepare them for the digital convergence of tomorrow where the fusion of consumer electronics and IT will continue to progress.

"We carefully assessed the long-term impact of continuing the so-called 'next-generation format war' and concluded that a swift decision will best help the market develop," said Atsutoshi Nishida, President and CEO of Toshiba Corporation. "While we are disappointed for the company and more importantly, for the consumer, the real mass market opportunity for high definition content remains untapped and Toshiba is both able and determined to use our talent, technology and intellectual property to make digital convergence a reality."

Toshiba will continue to lead innovation, in a wide range of technologies that will drive mass market access to high definition content. These include high capacity NAND flash memory, small form factor hard disk drives, next generation CPUs, visual processing, and wireless and encryption technologies. The company expects to make forthcoming announcements around strategic progress in these convergence technologies.

Toshiba will begin to reduce shipments of HD DVD players and recorders to retail channels, aiming for cessation of these businesses by the end of March 2008. Toshiba also plans to end volume production of HD DVD disk drives for such applications as PCs and games in the same timeframe, yet will continue to make efforts to meet customer requirements. The company will continue to assess the position of notebook PCs with integrated HD DVD drives within the overall PC business relative to future market demand.

This decision will not impact on Toshiba's commitment to standard DVD, and the company will continue to market conventional DVD players and recorders. Toshiba intends to continue to contribute to the development of the DVD industry, as a member of the DVD Forum, an international organization with some 200 member companies, committed to the discussion and defining of optimum optical disc formats for the consumer and the related industries.

Toshiba also intends to maintain collaborative relations with the companies who joined with Toshiba in working to build up the HD DVD market, including Universal Studios, Paramount Pictures, and DreamWorks Animation and major Japanese and European content providers on the entertainment side, as well as leaders in the IT industry, including Microsoft, Intel, and HP. Toshiba will study possible collaboration with these companies for future business opportunities, utilizing the many assets generated through the development of HD DVD.

What happens to the deals that were struck with movie studios choosing to be HD DVD exclusive, for example Paramount? Were these deals not supposed to last until 2009? I was gutted when 'The Bourne Collection' & 'Heroes - Season 1' were HD DVD only but I suppose its only a matter of time before they finally make the jump to good ol' Blu-ray!!!:heh:

Really good to see a company folding honourably. Must be hard to just bite the bullet like that but it helps everyone really and it makes a lot of sense this way around. It leads the industry into an emerging tech rather than refining an older one.

Oh and to a comment someone made earlier, Nintendo would NEVER use BD. Never. Nintendo have never used a format apart from one that they have developed themselves because they are money grabbing, sub-stone-bridge trolls.

Really good to see a company folding honourably. Must be hard to just bite the bullet like that but it helps everyone really and it makes a lot of sense this way around. It leads the industry into an emerging tech rather than refining an older one.

Oh and to a comment someone made earlier, Nintendo would NEVER use BD. Never. Nintendo have never used a format apart from one that they have developed themselves because they are money grabbing, sub-stone-bridge trolls.

Except DVD.

I wouldn't mind digital distribution but its still too far away, and as I said earlier I like the idea of being able to back up 30+ GB of data on a single disc.

Nintendo have never used a format apart from one that they have developed themselves

Excluding the GameCube (I'm pretty sure Panasonic made the mini DVDs for the GameCube. Then again, it was a proper format before the GameCube) and Wii.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic make the Wii disks for Nintendo, too. So Blu-Ray isn't too far fetched on the next Nintendo console.

I'm pretty sure Panasonic make the Wii disks for Nintendo, too. So Blu-Ray isn't too far fetched on the next Nintendo console.

Either that or they will resurrect HD-DVD by adopting it exclusively as the format for their next console. :heh: Seriously it wouldn't surprise me.

I think im gonna go buy me a HD-DVD player, in light of this news people are now giving them away! They still do a better good job of upscaling DVDs that a similarly priced DVD player and there's a reasonable selection of "Full-HD" titles available to tide me over until Blu becomes this affordable :)

I can see MS using it, after all they created the main video codecs used on Blu Ray.

They only created one of the formats which BluRays use, VC-1. BluRay players also *have* to be able to playback H.264 and MPEG-2.

In other news, there was a story a few days ago about the Bluray Disc Association saying that both Microsoft and Toshiba would be welcome to join the group.

Excluding the GameCube (I'm pretty sure Panasonic made the mini DVDs for the GameCube. Then again, it was a proper format before the GameCube) and Wii.

By DVD i take it you mean the Panasonic Q right?

Mini DVDs for the Cube were proprietary discs as far as I remember but I might be wrong... thing is that Matsushita are just as good at developing this kind of thing hence why Wii discs are their own.

Nintendo could do with realising that if they did use a common format then they could get rid of their stupid buisness model, which happily allows devs to risk bankrupting themselves instead of them. This would attract SO many more devs.

Yeah the discs are still the same price as Blu Rays at the moment. They're probably hoping to make as much money off people that buy the cheap ass players before dropping disc prices.

I'll just wait for the movies to be cheap as feck before buying anymore. I've already got the 360 add on and about 9 movies so I'll probably pick up anything I thought about getting for really cheap. I'm hoping to get HD Planet Earth for really cheap eventually. I've got it on DVD but want it in HD but I'm not really willing to go and buy it full price again.