N-Europe

EA predicts Wii domminance

Guest Maase

EA Predicts Wii Dominance to Continue

The rich get richer.

by Erik Brudvig

February 4, 2008 - Electronic Arts has weighed in with its thoughts on how the console wars will play out with a recently released report that projects hardware sales for 2008. In what should be no surprise to anyone, EA estimates that the Nintendo Wii and DS will continue to lead the pack in sales for North America and Europe. The company further predicts the PS3 will move up to second place, relegating the Xbox 360 to last place in home console sales.

Things get slightly more interesting when you look at how EA predicts the hardware sales will break down by region. In North America, EA estimates that the PS3 and Xbox 360 will have roughly equivalent sales figures. However, the company believes the PS3 will dominate the Xbox 360 in Europe by a better than 2:1 ratio. Even the PS2 is expected to sell roughly on par with the Xbox 360 in that market.

Below are the number estimates, in millions of units, EA released for console and handheld sales in 2008.

North America

PS3: 4.5 - 5.5

Xbox 360: 4.5 -5.5

Nintendo Wii: 5.5 - 6.5

PS2: 2.2 - 2.7

Nintendo DS: 7.5 - 8.5

PSP: 3.5 - 4.5

Europe

PS3: 5.0 - 6.0

Xbox 360: 1.5 - 2.5

Nintendo Wii: 6.5 - 7.5

PS2: 1.7 - 2.2

Nintendo DS: 6.5 - 7.5

PSP: 2.5 - 3.5

Font: IGN

Good news, i allways liked EA (I have 4 games from Nintendo and 2 games from EA), it seems that Wii will have the more titles from EA ^^

What do you think about this?

As these are part of EA's financial reports they'll want their business to look as healthy as possible. By projecting the Wii to be so far ahead I think its very likely their about to up their output on the system. The quality of EA stuff has really gone up of late so hopefully its going to mean a few decent games in the future.

6 Million PS3s in Europe this year? I'll believe that when... oh wait, it's never going to happen.

Based on what? Though its not doing as well as the Wii its had a clear weekly sales lead in mainland Europe since launch and this year its moved ahead in the UK too. With the 360 faltering on its lead and PS3 selling well even in January I think it could well hit the 6M mark this year.

its a shame that, given EA's love for Wii, they're churning out shit like Boogie. If they're investing in new IP's, they need to make them somewhere above mediocre.

Maybe on other systems they would. Most Wii users are more than happy with mediocre.

Tiger Woods and Madden were very good games, despite the last gen graphics, but they focused on the controls and it payed off.

Boogie might suck (havent tried it), but I respect them for trying out new stuff. And this might not be Wii related, but Skate effing rocks!

That too, they should make a worthy skate game for the leading platform, since they're predicting it will dominate.

It would be pretty feasible, the wiimote can easily serve as the second analogue and it's not complicated. Don't know about the physics, but I suppose they could handle it.

Can those people asking for Burnout Wii give me a reason I should get it on the Wii rather than 360? I can't imagine Wii controls would really push it above the other console versions considering it's a game about pretty graphics, impressive physics and awesome speed. I'd rather they developed new games for the Wii than ported stripped down versions of games already out on other consoles. For example, you have to go a long way down the list of the top 100 DS games before you find stuff like Burnout and FIFA - games developed for a system which has a totally different set of priorities and shoe-horned into a console based on the Nintendo philosophy.

Can those people asking for Burnout Wii give me a reason I should get it on the Wii rather than 360? I can't imagine Wii controls would really push it above the other console versions considering it's a game about pretty graphics, impressive physics and awesome speed. I'd rather they developed new games for the Wii than ported stripped down versions of games already out on other consoles. For example, you have to go a long way down the list of the top 100 DS games before you find stuff like Burnout and FIFA - games developed for a system which has a totally different set of priorities and shoe-horned into a console based on the Nintendo philosophy.
Simple, because a lot of people don't have a X360; and better than that; despite PS2 being the weakest last gen it still got worthy racing games.

We deserve more than, erm... Midway's Cruis'N.

We agree on something though, nobody is asking for a X360/PS3 port (otherwise we'd state "Burnout Paradise port")

Burnout DS is the prime example of how it shouldn't be done; Burnout Wii would have to be done by the main team, not some cheap outsourced game.

Burnout worked fine on the PS2 and Xbox last generation, and inspite of Paradise's technical advances there isn't a huge difference in the fundamental gameplay. I'm sure if they made the effort they could get a free-roaming game with graphics and physics comparable with Burnout 3/4 working on the Wii, and online too.

The DS version of Burnout wasn't developed by Criterion. I expect it might have been a lot better than it was if, like the PSP version, it had been.

Given its exaggerated sense of speed, the aggressive nature between the trucks, and the over the top game mechanics, Excite Truck is quite similar to Burnout. That game worked brilliantly with motion controls, so I don't see any reason why a Wii Burnout game shouldn't have it too.

You guys do not want Burnout Paradise. It sucks giant horse anus in comparison to the previous games.

Just gimmie Legends for the Wii and i'd be happy.