Discuss driving lessons and tests

Kirkatronics

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you tell your friends when it was?

Or would you?

I don't think i would tell them. It would be quite nice to turn up the next day with my car and them be like "WTF?! you can't drive".

...I'd most likely accidently end up saying something anyway.

Everyone with a scooter/ped that i know has it de-restricted allowing them to do around 60mph. No-one seems to care.

I was considering getting a bike, but when Moogle broke both his arms it put me off abit :P

Pssh law states they have to stay at 30mph, so if a policeman isn't feeling very nice he'll pull them over.

I agree that most pass with 30 hours, over that means you're probably not getting the hang of it naturally, but there's no worry in that ^.^

I probably won't tell my friends until I've actually passed. :indeed:

had about 20 lessons and passed my theory and practical tests first time ~pride~ the only thing i had trouble with was reversing around a corner (until the day of my test, when something inside my brain snapped into place and i could just do it O__o) and THE SPEED LIMIT >__< i didnt know if this particular road on my test was a 20 or 30 zone, and i knew if i went OVER it would mean an instant fail~ so i stayed at 20, which annoyed the instructor - he said if there'd been a car behind me that i was holding up he'd have failed me (grumpy git~) but thankfully there wasn't, so i passed!

Heh, my manouvres were what I thought were weakest too, and reverse round the corner was the worst(I made such a mess of some of them, ended up well wide). I think they're kind of silly, since no one I know does them proper after their test anyway. On the test I had to do reverse round the corner, and it was kinda messy but apparently all right, I got mostly marked down for hesitancy in places(he said I was slow on the reverse, and at ends of roads generally). I bricked it halfway through when I over took a bus and then though I totally cut into another road with no signal(you know those tricky kinda roads where they roading itself goes on but your road actually goes round the corner). After that I gave up worrying and was shocked when we were back at the centre cos it seemed so short!

I didn't tell too many people when my test was, probably cos I thought I'd fail, but I let slip to my friend in the end, the numerous questions about the test half gave it away lol.

I had to turn down a promotion as I couldn't drive which really annoyed me.

So I had 30 hours of lessons in 6 weeks and passed first time. Been driving for 6 months now and loving it. Sadly my car is off the road this month as i messed up sorting out my tax, and 3 days in I miss it so so much!

That tip of carrying on even if you think you've failed is right. I was sure I had failed my test, I thought I had made a couple of quite big mistakes, but I recomposed myself and made it!

bach rescue remedy ftw. you're only supposed to put a drop on your lounge when youre in a stressful situation... i was swigging from the bottle. :grin:

Well, I just took my third test today, and failed. Though it was no fault of my own...

I was doing my turn in the road part-way through the test. The road was quite narrow, and there were pedestrians about. So I was trying to be extra careful, doing the usual checks, when the examiner all of a sudden says "Hurry up now, you're needlessly holding up cars." He told me to "hurry up" again after that. Naturally, it shot my nerves and my confidence, and I eneded up failing. He also gave me a dangerous mark (I could have honestly avoided those, but he stopped it for me, for some reason), didn't explain why, and left me to phone up my instructor to pick me up. I was about 1.5 miles away from the test center too, he had to walk it for 20 mins.

I'm, seriously pissed off with this, and my theory runs out next week, so I've got to take that again too. I'm going to appeal against that examiner.

Well, I just took my third test today, and failed. Though it was no fault of my own...

I was doing my turn in the road part-way through the test. The road was quite narrow, and there were pedestrians about. So I was trying to be extra careful, doing the usual checks, when the examiner all of a sudden says "Hurry up now, you're needlessly holding up cars." He told me to "hurry up" again after that. Naturally, it shot my nerves and my confidence, and I eneded up failing. He also gave me a dangerous mark (I could have honestly avoided those, but he stopped it for me, for some reason), didn't explain why, and left me to phone up my instructor to pick me up. I was about 1.5 miles away from the test center too, he had to walk it for 20 mins.

I'm, seriously pissed off with this, and my theory runs out next week, so I've got to take that again too. I'm going to appeal against that examiner.

APPPPPEAL

I mean seriously, your examiner shouldn't have been telling you to ''hurry up'' he should have been quiet and being too slow doing a manovuer isn't a fail.

Guest Stefkov

Got a lesson in 45 minutes. First one since last year actually. Near the end of the year but it's been a while since I drove.

Should be having about 4 or 5 more lessons before March.

I don't believe that telling anyone will curse me or whatever but got my test booked for the 13th March. But I havnt told them, no need to bring it up. If they ask then I'll tell them.

All in all I would have had about 20 lessons.

Edit: I've forgotten so much... damn

If he abandoned the test then it must have been because he thought you were a danger to yourself and other road users. But as for the turn in the road, he had no right telling you to hurry up. He's supposed to be just an observer. Whether or not that gives you grounds for appeal is not clear though. You can only appeal if you felt that the test was not conducted properly and even if it's successful, all you can get is a free retest - the decision can never be overturned. You may want to seek legal guidance first before doing this - that's why most people don't bother.

You don't say how many driver faults you made, or what the dangerous fault was for - what happened exactly?

My advice to you would be to ask the DSA for a written report of your test and speak to your instructor.

If he abandoned the test then it must have been because he thought you were a danger to yourself and other road users. But as for the turn in the road, he had no right telling you to hurry up. He's supposed to be just an observer. Whether or not that gives you grounds for appeal is not clear though. You can only appeal if you felt that the test was not conducted properly and even if it's successful, all you can get is a free retest - the decision can never be overturned. You may want to seek legal guidance first before doing this - that's why most people don't bother.

You don't say how many driver faults you made, or what the dangerous fault was for - what happened exactly?

My advice to you would be to ask the DSA for a written report of your test and speak to your instructor.

Well considering he told the guy to hurry up I certainly think that was grounds for appeal, ok fair enough if he was actually being dangerous, but going to slow whilst doing a manvouer is what your instructed to do! If he went too fast he'd have been put as a fail!

If you don't appeal make sure you make it clear that you don't want the same person, I'd definetly ask for a free re-test, it's disgusting behaviour.

:indeed:

Well considering he told the guy to hurry up I certainly think that was grounds for appeal, ok fair enough if he was actually being dangerous, but going to slow whilst doing a manvouer is what your instructed to do! If he went too fast he'd have been put as a fail!

If you don't appeal make sure you make it clear that you don't want the same person, I'd definetly ask for a free re-test, it's disgusting behaviour.

Trust me - been doing this job long enough to know that this won't go anywhere. It doesn't sound like reasonable grounds for appeal, even though the examiner may have been out of order. And then, it's just one word vs another. And you can't specify not having a particular examiner unless an appeal is successful.

And no disrespect intended to CoolFunkMan, but I always take test day stories with a pinch of salt.

I dont mean to be nasty, but it was your fault. You drove 'dangrously' and took far longer than necisary for a turning the road.

If he was taking much, much, longer than needed to complete a turning the road OR interupting the road traffic more than needs be they can intervene.

If they see that they are causing too much of a nuisance to traffic, IE taking blocking it for longer than needed, they can intervene and tell you to hurry up.

--

I dont like it when people say it wasnt their fault they failed, because it more than 99% of the time IS their fault.

If your ready to pass, most people will pass.

I dont mean to be nasty, but it was your fault. You drove 'dangrously' and took far longer than necisary for a turning the road.

If he was taking much, much, longer than needed to complete a turning the road OR interupting the road traffic more than needs be they can intervene.

If they see that they are causing too much of a nuisance to traffic, IE taking blocking it for longer than needed, they can intervene and tell you to hurry up.

--

I dont like it when people say it wasnt their fault they failed, because it more than 99% of the time IS their fault.

If your ready to pass, most people will pass.

No but if your going slow then it can't be helped, god knows I go slow going round a corner and I asked if I would be failed for doing so (it's not stupidly slow but enough to have somebody waiting) and my instructor said no, the only time it can be a fail is if your doing something silly like 30 in a 60.

I still think he should appeal. They should be there to sit and observe and shouldn't mention anything about the test until it is officially over.

EDIT: the instructor should have noticed that he was doing checks and that the reason he slowed was because of pedestrains, I'm sorry but you never know if one will decide to walk infront of you, I should know a few have done it while I'm driving, they feel that because your not quite round the corner they can walk infront of you. I find it interesting also that dangerous happens to be slow instead of fast. If he is holding up thats not dangerous unless he stopped suddenly. Which he didn't.

:blank:

Appealing won't achieve anything. You can't appeal against an examiner's decision. If the examiner felt that he had to intervene because he felt that an unnecessary obstruction was being caused, then that'd be good enough for the DSA.

Obviously I don't know exactly what happened, but it sounds like the examiner was right to do what he did.

Remember...pinch of salt!!!

The point is, that I wouldn't have been driving dangerously if I hadn't have been asked to "hurry up" by the examiner. It was pretty harsh to be fair, and my confidence plummeted because of his comments. I'm not appealing because he failed me, I'm appealing because of his attitude within the test. I was only slightly nervous just before, and during the first part of the test. I was fine before the turn in the road, everything fell appart afterwards, after he told me to "hurry up."

The road I did a turn in the road in was quite narrow, and there were quite a few pedestrians walking around. I think that it would have been a terrible idea to do speed up, as there were many people around. I've always been told to relax and take as much time as necessary to do manouvers. At the end of the day, taking it slow is better than going too fast and killing someone/crashing the car. Besides, I wasn't even going slowly, as I said, I was checking the area for pedestrians.

My instructor agrees with my decision to appeal. He's told me that the same examiner took one of his old pupils on a test, and reduced her to tears, even though he passed her. The examiner apparently went on at her, saying that he "only just" passed her, and that she'd probably keep making the same mistakes as she did on her test for the rest of her life. She did nothing about that. To me that does not sound like a very good examiner.

And this story is the entire story. Sue, I admit, I did drive dangerously, though after having my nerves completely ruined, do you blame me? If it wasn't for his attitude, I'm confident I would have passed today.

I even told my mates when I got to uni, and they agreed that no examiner should be allowed to rush someone in thier exam.Imagine if a teacher kept on telling a kid to hurry up during their GCSE exams, that wouldn't be acceptable would it? I see this in the same vein.

An examiner job is to observe which is why I told you to appeal, he shouldn't have said a word to you about it and he sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Half way through a manvouer no matter which one it is your told to look around for others. You should not have been failed for your test, though unfortunetly every so often you get somebody who doesn't seem to care about his job nor the people they are looking over.

I hope that you pass next time and get a nicer examiner, so not that it's easier to pass, but because they should be fairer to you.

An examiner job is to observe which is why I told you to appeal, he shouldn't have said a word to you about it and he sounds like a nasty piece of work.

Half way through a manvouer no matter which one it is your told to look around for others. You should not have been failed for your test, though unfortunetly every so often you get somebody who doesn't seem to care about his job nor the people they are looking over.

I hope that you pass next time and get a nicer examiner, so not that it's easier to pass, but because they should be fairer to you.

By the way your grammar is shitty, you don't know when to use "you're", but whatever, I'm drunk