N-Europe

Second Life

AshMat

http://secondlife.com/

Ok, anyone else heard of/tried this?

I thought i'd check it out after it being talked about in the last couple of GFW podcasts..

Apparently there's some sick shit int here too.

Basically, it's an online virtual world (30mb download client), you can get a free account with some free money, hardcore freaks pay for the shit, i say we all get it, and meet up in the place.

Guest Stefkov

I always thought it was a pay to ...play? type of program. Like WoW.

If it's free I may give it a try.

It seems to do anything remotely worthwhile you have to pay.

You can sign up for free but that's it really.

Guest Stefkov

There are freaking statues and unicorns humping a character on there.

What kind of sick people get sick pleasures from playing, if you can say play, this thing.

I'm pretty sure that Second Life's population is made up entirely of undercover journalists reporting on other undercover journalists.

Hahaha! That's exactly what I think too! Why does this "game" gets so much coverage? And why cover something this pointless, you're actually working on something that gives you no monetary payment. Work IRL for something that actually matters.

And why cover something this pointless, you're actually working on something that gives you no monetary payment. Work IRL for something that actually matters.

Actually there are quite a few people who make a living off Second Life. I remember reading an interview with someone that quit their job so they could sell virtual products full-time, and their income actually increased.

Which brings me to my less facetious response: I appreciate the idea behind SL, but in many ways it's a concentrated form of the internet with all the perversion that entails. It has its uses and fair share of inspirational stories, but for most people it's far better to read about it then actually have to go there.

That game was in the news recently two people the woman was english and the male american dated on there for two years, then met up because of gmtv and married.

strange...

I didn't see this in particular but I did see a few TV programs covering Second Life maybe as much as a year ago. But if something like what you say really happened then Second Life should be promoted here on N-E in the Singleness thread lol.

Second Life gets a lot of coverage for several reasons. Because it is an alternative reality in which many thing are simulations of real life, it has brought up many legal issues about virtual space and property.

On a basic level, it opens up the questions of who owns what? Who has what kind of rights in this world?

It is not like an MMO, where everything is owned by the publisher of the game. People aren't really meant to be making profit there, although they do. In Second Life this is the whole point. The money is there to be made and most importantly it has a real world exchange rate for it's in-game money.

As an entity, Second Life needs it's own laws, constitution and economy for it to fully fit in. In other words: Second Life is the worlds first fully operational virtual country.

From a gamers PoV though, its a sac of crap and why people would want to play it for entertainment value is beyond me.

There's always someone who finds a way to make a profit out of everything, but not only in SL, in WoW too. The difference is that in WoW the rest of users are entertained by the game without having to devote to another life project such as building "your own" house.