NEurope
Iun

How Prepared ARE you?

So this is something I've been thinking about for a little while: a Zombie Apocalpyse.

Let's face it people, it's going to happen sooner or later, and I am curious how well-prepared everyone is for this frightening eventuality.

Recently, I've been stocking up on essentials like water, dried and canned foods and disinfectants. plus antibiotics and other pills. I'm going to have a whirl online and see what I can find about wood burning generators and other means of survival when the human-chomping starts to go down.

Also, don't forget that you're going to need plenty of heavy and sharp implements immediately to hand and something that you can set fire to if faced with large groups of the freshly-resurrected.

I'd also like to get people's opinions on high-rise buildings: personally I think they're good for defence but raiding parties and foraging will be dangerous if you have too many steps to climb on the return trip.

And while we're on the subject, everyone here should get a CB radio and swap frequencies so we can maintain contact when the worst happens.

So, how prepared ARE you?

I think I'd be the first to die. If not by the zombies eating me, then surely cause of the fear killing me. D:

*gets out his baseball bat*

I'm prepared! BRING IT ON ZOMBIES!!!

Ah, the jock :)

Everyone stand behind this guy, he's first for the chop.

I'm prepared enough to go out fighting!!

(As I've said in previous threads on this matter, what kind of Zombies are we dealing with? Shaun of the Dead 'its actually pretty fun to smack them about because they are pretty slow and dumb' zombies, 28 Days/Weeks Later's 'screeching, sprinting, projectile blood vomiting zombies of death' zombies or some thing more akin to I Am Legend's 'We are basically vampires but its not really specified, either way we hang out in the dark miming the biscuit game and have above average zombie intelligence' zombies, or Resident Evil 1-3's 'moaning, walking but hindered my really annoying camera angle' zombies or Resident Evil 4/5's 'verging on racist spanish peasant, stereotype catch phrase shouting zombies that have an infinite number of sharp objects to throw at you and once in a while a really nasty one decapitates you with a chain-saw' zombies??)

I'm prepared enough to go out fighting!!

(As I've said in previous threads on this matter, what kind of Zombies are we dealing with? Shaun of the Dead 'its actually pretty fun to smack them about because they are pretty slow and dumb' zombies, 28 Days/Weeks Later's 'screeching, sprinting, projectile blood vomiting zombies of death' zombies or some thing more akin to I Am Legend's 'We are basically vampires but its not really specified, either way we hang out in the dark miming the biscuit game and have above average zombie intelligence' zombies, or Resident Evil 1-3's 'moaning, walking but hindered my really annoying camera angle' zombies or Resident Evil 4/5's 'verging on racist spanish peasant, stereotype catch phrase shouting zombies that have an infinite number of sharp objects to throw at you and once in a while a really nasty one decapitates you with a chain-saw' zombies??)

Let's try and prepare ourselves for every eventuality. No matter how unlikely :) That way when civilisation ends, we won't be left scrabbling in the filth hoping to find some edible dirt.

Ah, the jock :)

Everyone stand behind this guy, he's first for the chop.

Hehe! I'd go down fighting. :)

In reality i would probably be the guy who hides in the bathtub with his dog....

I'd fight to the death.

No way am I letting some zombie eat me alive. Besides, i have the reaction times of a cat on speed.

I can use a Katana due to my previous years (albiet a long time ago) of doing Akido. I infact have one back at my old house. All i really have in my flat is... alot of knives. That or i'd run around Dead Rising style with a HDTV and kill many a zombie.

Let's try and prepare ourselves for every eventuality. No matter how unlikely :) That way when civilisation ends, we won't be left scrabbling in the filth hoping to find some edible dirt.

They had a pretty awesome idea in Dawn of the Dead. Live in a mall for a couple weeks enjoying the luxury of material goods...When I got bored I'd probably go on a kamikaze run with a samurai sword.

Or I'd do what they did in 28 Weeks later and spread the infection to France.

I need to buy a gun with one round. So when I can no longer fight I can kill myself.

At the minute we have enough food in the kitchen from christmas to last about a year, so on that front i'm sorted. I have a rifle and two swords to kill any zombies which do make it into my house, i could also do some home alone style traps aswell. In the garage there are afew barrels of diesel which could come in handy.

A high rise building would feel alot safer. But all the floors below me which could have zombies in wouldn't. And especially if they attacked, there's no way out! Unless you have a parachute.

I'd buy a shotgun, and automatic (difficult to get anything more in the UK...), and a lot of ammunition. I'd then turn my house into a mini fortress, and fly a homemade GLA flag on the roof.

Any of you nice folks are welcome to join me, provided you aren't undead...

5 scientific reasons why a zombie apocalypse can and will happen.

I feel I have watched enough zombie/virus outbreak movies to have a reasonable idea of how to reach safety.

1. Try to spot the early warning signs such as:

-An above average number of drunk looking people wandering about.

-Strange news reports regarding cannibalism, riots or dead people coming back to life

-Unexplained pools of blood

2. Try to contact people nearby as soon as possible and arrage a place to meet up. If you're lucky the phonelines wont be down yet. If the phonelines are down make do with neighbours. Warn them and tell them about step 3.

3. Make an inventory of all your useful stuff. I'm talking:

-Petrol canisters (with petrol)

-Knives (not really that useful as zombies can't feel pain, but remember your neighbours might be dodgy. Expect internal feuds a la Day of the Dead)

-Spades (A classy zombie decapitating blunt instrument)

-Empty bottles, rags and flammable liquids (for fire bomb molotov cocktails)

-Various other blunt instruments

Leave food and such like, there will be plenty of abandoned shops to raid. Protection is the main priority.

4. Get some cars together with your neighbours and head out to meet the people you'd arranged with earlier. Remember there is safety in numbers. Raid shops and most importantly petrol stations (this is where the petrol canisters come in handy) along the way. Move in a convoy north through the most rural routes possible.

5. Get to Scotland. Low population density equals win. Find yourselves some large seaworthy boats. Make sure you have plenty of fuel, food,a compass and some long range radios for contact.

6. Head out to sea on a bearing for Iceland. Hopefully the zombie outbreak wont have reached there and if it has the low population will mean you have a higher chance of surviving then in Britain. Plus they have an infrastructure which makes them largely self sustainable for many things (think geothermal energy, large greenhouses full of food, fresh glacial water). Start a new life and survive apocalypse happily.

5 scientific reasons why a zombie apocalypse can and will happen.

I feel I have watched enough zombie/virus outbreak movies to have a reasonable idea of how to reach safety.

1. Try to spot the early warning signs such as:

-An above average number of drunk looking people wandering about.

-Strange news reports regarding cannibalism, riots or dead people coming back to life

-Unexplained pools of blood

2. Try to contact people nearby as soon as possible and arrage a place to meet up. If you're lucky the phonelines wont be down yet. If the phonelines are down make do with neighbours. Warn them and tell them about step 3.

3. Make an inventory of all your useful stuff. I'm talking:

-Petrol canisters (with petrol)

-Knives (not really that useful as zombies can't feel pain, but remember your neighbours might be dodgy. Expect internal feuds a la Day of the Dead)

-Spades (A classy zombie decapitating blunt instrument)

-Empty bottles, rags and flammable liquids (for fire bomb molotov cocktails)

-Various other blunt instruments

Leave food and such like, there will be plenty of abandoned shops to raid. Protection is the main priority.

4. Get some cars together with your neighbours and head out to meet the people you'd arranged with earlier. Remember there is safety in numbers. Raid shops and most importantly petrol stations (this is where the petrol canisters come in handy) along the way. Move in a convoy north through the most rural routes possible.

5. Get to Scotland. Low population density equals win. Find yourselves some large seaworthy boats. Make sure you have plenty of fuel, food,a compass and some long range radios for contact.

6. Head out to sea on a bearing for Iceland. Hopefully the zombie outbreak wont have reached there and if it has the low population will mean you have a higher chance of surviving then in Britain. Plus they have an infrastructure which makes them largely self sustainable for many things (think geothermal energy, large greenhouses full of food, fresh glacial water). Start a new life and survive apocalypse happily.

I must say, that is one bloody good plan.

I would do something that no-one normal would do, plenty of hit and runs. As for what happens if they get back up again, i will think of that later.

I'd also like to get people's opinions on high-rise buildings: personally I think they're good for defence

How so? If you get say two dozen and rising zombies on the stairs and lets face it, you're not taking the lift cos God knows what will be outside the door when it opens and you're trapped in a metal box, you're essentially stuck up a tall building with a constantly deminishing supply of weapons and food, moving further and further up until eventually you realise you have to jump out of a window and kill yourself to save being eaten.

You're better off on the streets in a non-built up area with a working car and a load of spare petrol.

I am completely unprepared and am, in fact, quite happy to be taken, become a zombie and try and eat my friends.

Let's see...

grenades, shotguns, rifles, machine guns, RPGs, tiatanium basball bats, huge hammers, swords, nukes, flamethrower, holy grenades, etc

I'm pretty prepared

When Z-Day comes I'll be prepared motherfuckers.

One essential rule: Never barriacade yourself in one place without a safe exit, otherwise you're fucked.

It didn't work for the poor bastards in Night of the Living Dead (house) and the ones in Dawn of the Dead (mall) and Leon in RE4 when he though it would be a fucking great idea to run into the house after the Spanish Villagers turned nasty... then Dr. Salvador decided to show up.

Note to self; buy more Zombie survival books.

*loads shotgun*

*puts on leather jacket and sunglasses*

*jumps on Motorbike*

I'm ready!

Years of gaming have turned my brain the consistency of a week-old meat paste sandwich, making me the human equivalent of a Big Mac. As any zombies will have presumably lost their humanity they will revert to a more primal state, and animals know intrinsically what they should and should not eat, making me a black cross on the menu.

Bar that flawless logic, I could supplement my chances of survival by entrenching myself in a house rigged with hilarious Home Alone-style booby-traps. Taping all slapstick zombie incursions would also guarantee me a steady income from You've Been Framed, one of several programmes that would have no need to adapt to the nation being overrun by brain-dead sacks of flesh.

For recreation I could simply play WoW, as I can't imagine I'd have a problem finding a group as a large percentage of its playerbase are oblivious to the outside world anyway. If the worst came to be I could always reach for the feline Spartan helmet that came with my Legendary Edition of Halo 3, utilising it as a bludgeon.

It's not much of a life being a survivor in a zombie outbreak, always looking over your shoulder, never knowing if you really are safe. Death might be a preferable option.

Its actually "Don't stop me now."

And yes, that Shaun of the Dead scene is amazing.