Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Depression

mcj metroid

This is a thread that's kinda personal to me I wanted to create it for a while but i'm not sure how to word it.

I was never sure if I ever did Suffer for this, I always just told myself i'm just being a whiny bitch.I'm not as bad as some and i have no reason to be most of the time.

Have any of ye ever felt like you might suffer from this from time to time? Or any particular moments you want to share.

Sorry about the dullness of this thread i'm not sure how to create a thread about this but I think you get what this discussion is about.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suffer from it on a regular basis. Mostly because I realise that no matter how hard I try, I can't fit into normal society (hense the reason why I'm on the internet during the majority of my free time), and basically that people can't except that I'm a black sheep :heh:

Basically, the chances of me ever leading something that resembles a normal life are rather low.

I'd say I've had it on and off for the past 10 years or so. I was in boarding school for 5 years and thats one of the longest and worst times I had it. I was away from home and I didn't connect with anyone really. None of the teachers had any faith in me. I would have locked myself in my room but I was always sharing a room with a load of other people until the last year and anyway, the doors didn't have locks on them.

I didn't really do anything about it. I tried to give hints but my "friends" just accepted it as part of who I was and anyone else who noticed didn't really do anything about it. I would never openly admit it since, kind of like you, I though I was whining or it was my fault. I know now I was wrong to think that.

It also got pretty bad again a couple months ago...things are way better now.

Of course, there's more reasons why I'm depressed. I feel that no matter what I do, I'm always ignored by people (often, I've been there to help someone if they're suffering from temporal depression, or some bollocks like that, and then later barely even acknowledged me, and pretty much gives all the credit to some half-wit who barely had any involvement). It doesn't help that I'm in a foreign country that was pretty much cut off from the civilised world until about 25 years ago, and it still rather xenophobic.

There's even more bollocks to tell, but that's for another day.

Of course, there's more reasons why I'm depressed. I feel that no matter what I do, I'm always ignored by people (often, I've been there to help someone if they're suffering from temporal depression, or some bollocks like that, and then later barely even acknowledged me, and pretty much gives all the credit to some half-wit who barely had any involvement). It doesn't help that I'm in a foreign country that was pretty much cut off from the civilised world until about 25 years ago, and it still rather xenophobic.

There's even more bollocks to tell, but that's for another day.

Anyone got any good tests for it.. i reemember taking one that i got 8/10 for clincal depresson in.. can't find it anymore though.

I wouldn't say I'm depressed, or ever have been, but it's been a long while since I've had any emotional highs or lows to speak of, at least as far as I can remember. I think it's just a quiet time of my life really. I get stressed, and happy and sometimes a little sad, like everyone, but I feel I spend too much time looking around me and thinking about other people, and wondering if I'm not missing something here. Without those emotional extremes all the days and weeks and months start to merge together, and life starts to become a not uninteresting but rather pointless trudge from one moment to the next.

The way I see it, I have two mornings of my life that I have yet to live: One where I wake up and everything's perfect and divine, and one where everything has truly gone to hell. Until then, I don't really feel I have led a full life.

On Goldberg's test for depression I put in how I felt a couple months ago and got...

60 - You have the symptoms of severe depression.

I put in what I feel recently and I got...

20 - You seem to have the symptoms of minor depression.

Seems about right.

I suffer from severe Bipolar Disorder - what they used to call Manic Depression, and also very bad Omniscient Concept of Design (OCD). Both of which can be extremely debilitating.

Everyone always says "get help" but honestly speaking, all the so-called "professionals" I have seen have been absolutely useless. That's not to say that they weren't helpful for other people, but these things are not for everybody.

Set yoursel reasonable short term goals, achieve them and then reward yourself. Then as and when you regain your confidence (it may take a long time) set yourself bigger targets. Before you know it you'll be the author of several articles hat nobody reads on a popular Nintendo Website.

I feel that no matter what I do, I'm always ignored by people

Thats the thing that can really set me off. I went on holiday with a group of people I went to school with recently and they all seemed to be in this little clique, I might as well not have been there.

I was also captain of the football team at school and my teacher constantly asked me if I did any sport and at the end of the year when the team were doing these awards thing it was like I was invisible. I know its not really that important but it still got to me. I just came to accept it in the end really although its royally screwed my conversational skills up. My eye contact is horrendous and I talk too much to people I don't really know because I get nervous and they think I'm weird. I don't blame them.

My girlfriend had depression for quite a while before we started going out and then it came back after we'd been going out for a while.

She'd been on anti-depresants before we went out, but after she felt better stopped taking them and got worse. After a while she used her repeat perscription to get more, but by then her depression had got very bad, and the pills kinda made her worse (anti-depresants give you your energy back first before making you feel better, so before them she was like "I could kill myself but I'm too tired", after starting them again you have the enegry to do it).

She took about 10 paracetamol whilst at work one day, and it was pretty scary for a while. But luckly they didn't need to pump her stomach, as the stomach did most of the work for them. If anyone thinks OD'ing is a good way to commit suicide, think again, if you die from it you basically drown in your own vomit.

After that the doctors put her on a higher dose of venaflaxin, and also diazipan to keep her calm.

She's still on the venaflaxin, but last summer she reduced her dosage. She's hoping to come off of them completly this year.

My advise, is if you do feel you could be depressed go and see your doctor about it. They can refer you to a therapist if they think it will be helpful to you, and they will be able to tell you if you have depression too.

Don't think about it as being whiny, at the end of the day depression is an illness like any other. It's a chemical imbalance in the brain. If a diabetic can't think themselves better, why should someone with depresion be able to do it?

I know what it's like to feel invisible Daft, whenever I post here no-one pays attention or just repeats what I've said and then they are quoted ad nauseum.

A similar thing happened at school for me - I was one of the most senior musicians there, I was involved with virtually everything and eveyone knew it. But I left the music teacher's pride and joy (the Senior Choir) and when it came to prize giving he gave me a junior prize for the Jazz Quartet and nothing else after 6 years of unbending and unbroken service to the schools music.

What it boils down to is that people have short memories when it comes to things they don't want to be reminded of. And particularly in large social groups the "Alpha" will always be rewarded, even if they are not really top dog, but only elevated for their popularity. We suffered from that a lot in our University sports teams: the popular people were always the forward players, believing their social popularity would translate into match-winning ability. Needless to say it didn't, but that fact was papered over and they were always name-checked when the backs kept a clean sheet and they managed to muddle a shot into the back of the net.

God, now I'm depressed.

I had a bad case of it about 5 years ago. I didnt want to go out at all and I would cry alot aswell. I went to the doctors but that didnt really help. Eventually I handed my notice in at work as I couldnt take being around people. As the time drew near for me to quit work I thought to myself im stronger than this and I cancelled my notice and since that day I have been great. Well apart from an incident in 2006 but im getting into that

I know what it's like to feel invisible Daft, whenever I post here no-one pays attention or just repeats what I've said and then they are quoted ad nauseum.

A similar thing happened at school for me - I was one of the most senior musicians there, I was involved with virtually everything and eveyone knew it. But I left the music teacher's pride and joy (the Senior Choir) and when it came to prize giving he gave me a junior prize for the Jazz Quartet and nothing else after 6 years of unbending and unbroken service to the schools music.

What it boils down to is that people have short memories when it comes to things they don't want to be reminded of. And particularly in large social groups the "Alpha" will always be rewarded, even if they are not really top dog, but only elevated for their popularity. We suffered from that a lot in our University sports teams: the popular people were always the forward players, believing their social popularity would translate into match-winning ability. Needless to say it didn't, but that fact was papered over and they were always name-checked when the backs kept a clean sheet and they managed to muddle a shot into the back of the net.

You pretty much nailed it. I kind of already thought that but actually reading someone else's ideas about it helps clarify it a lot. That football example especially, it basically gave me flashbacks.

God, now I'm depressed.

Ok, I'll tell you a joke. (Normally I have to tell it in person because there is a whole mini routine but you are thousands of miles away so I think we'll have to forfeit that luxury. :heh: ) If you've heard it before humor me and laugh anyway! :hehe:

Why are pirates called pirates?

Because they AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!!!! *Said with pirate accent*

...Didn't work?....hmmmm, better think of something else....

thing is you can never snap out of it.. i hate when people think you are doing it for attension.. im really not like

Some can, others cant. Sometimes you havent a clue why you feel the way you do.

One thing I hated was when people would say just snap out of it, wow why didnt I think of that?

Because they AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGH!!!! *Said with pirate accent*

...Didn't work?....hmmmm, better think of something else....

Arf! Tell another! Another, I say! That was right up my sort of Silly Humour Street.

thing is you can never snap out of it.. i hate when people think you are doing it for attension.. im really not like

Yeah, HoT is right some people can just snap out of it. I think its good to always ask yourself why you are feeling like you are. I find that helps clear things up sometimes.

I remember when I first got depressed, after what seemed like an age, I woke up one morning and realised there was no reason for me to feel like that. Nothing had happened to me but I almost literally went to bed one person and woke up another. It was really weird but it was such a good feeling like taking a deep breath of fresh air.

I never really tell people how I feel though. I usually try and work stuff out by myself. There are some subjects that I am bursting to talk about but at the same time I really don't want to talk about. I doubt that would make sense unless you've felt the same kind of thing before.

Arf! Tell another! Another, I say! That was right up my sort of Silly Humour Street.

I'm glad you liked it!! :yay: (I'm also slightly amazed the humor made it across in text form :heh:) That one was right out of my top draw. If I remember another one, you'll be the first to hear it!!

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!