• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say it's more likely that Sony are trying to facilitate downloadable PS2 games via the PlayStation Store rather than outright put-the-disk-in emulation. Not that the latter's outside the realms of possibility, but it would be easier and more profitable for them as a company to be the only provider of titles needing to be emulated.

The real question is whether either will ever happen, of course. My understanding is that the lack of a part of the PS2's hardware — the eDRAM, I believe — is impossible to compensate for, despite the PS3 obviously being a much more powerful machine. If anyone's going to work out a way around that then it would be Sony, though, so I guess we shouldn't rule anything out.

Oh, I suppose this could be a feature constrained to the slim PS3 when it comes out later this year. Any hardware shortfalls could be easily remedied with that, and given how much of the PS2 hardware would be being emulated it wouldn't be costing Sony much.

Edited by Aimless
Added extra musing.

PS3 Slim for autumn - report

Sony may be readying a PS3 Slim model for launch this autumn, while Microsoft may be cutting the price of the top-tier Xbox 360 Elite.

To make way for the Slim hardware, Sony will finally cut the price of existing PS3 consoles, according to Ars Technica's "favourite inside source".

Preceding that, retailers will be given a limited inventory of 80GB PS3 units in order to clear stock.

The same source also claims the Xbox 360 Pro model will disappear at the end of the summer, after plenty of shelf-clearing bundles similar to the Halo 3/Fable II deal.

The Elite will reposition to fill the gap after an "early September" price cut, allowing more users to effectively use on-demand video streaming and downloaded content from Xbox Live.

Sony has a history of thinning its PlayStation hardware. The PSone and PS2 were both reduced in size - the latter four years after European launch. The PS3 didn't launch in Europe until early 2007, so this would be an early move on Sony's behalf - although arguably the pressure is greater than ever before. And, of course, Sony trimmed the PSP after just two years.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/ps3-slim-for-autumn-report

PS2 Emulation Already Up And Running?

Is your PlayStation 3 running firmware greater than 2.10? Chances are it is, but did you know that apparently it’s then already capable of running PS2 games then? “PS3 is capable of running PS2 games with 100 % software emulation but the performance and compatibility is really poor,†says lherre on GAF. “The emulator is present in every PS3 in the market (since 2.10 if I remember correctly) but is “deactivatedâ€. “ He then goes on to suggest that the current PS3 firmware has some “interesting†files on it, which are presumably linked to his statement above.

This follows our news this morning that Sony have applied for a patent for a purely software-based solution to the PS2 emulation issue and ties in nicely with the job advert from last January for a software engineer at Sony Japan to work on exactly this. TheSixthAxis has also learnt this lunchtime that the bottleneck isn’t the Emotion Engine, which is already up and running, it’s the Graphics Synthesizer that’s causing the headaches. If Sony can crack this, then surely that would open the gates to downloadable PS2 games over the Store, as we suggested this morning.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/06/30/ps2-emulation-already-up-and-running/

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let us run disk based games as well as unlikely as it seems...

Nice one red!

David Jaffe Teases Big Sony Meeting

david-jaffe-header.png

Known for his brunt and witty humor, David Jaffe, CEO of EatSleepPlay, recently stated that he was going to Sony San Diego to shoot some new gameplay footage. Now, it is widely known that Jaffe and his team are working on a new project, which many assume to be the next Twisted Metal. However, no official word has gotten out. Here is Jaffe’s tweet in its entirety:

Getting ready to head in to Sony San Diego to capture gameplay footage for a big internal Sony Dog and Pony coming up next week…

Could this be his next game? We’ll let you decide. But rest assured, PlayStation LifeStyle will keep you updated on any new details.

http://playstationlifestyle.net/2009/07/01/david-jaffe-teases-big-sony-meeting/

Twisted Metal?!

Known for his brunt and witty humour...

Are we talking about the same Jaffe here?

I never got to play the twisted metals, are they any good? I'd love if the PS2 back-compat news has some truth, there's a treasure trove of PS2 games I'd love to try.

Im assuming this is for the US PSN, still worth noting though.

Coming up first is Capcom Classics Collection: Remixed, available tomorrow. The game is a collection of arcade classics from gaming’s glorious past. Pay homage to the best of the arcades, like Final Fight, Bionic Commando, Street Fighter, and Magic Sword. Prove your old-school dominance with twenty full arcade titles. Check out the full list of included games here.

Later this summer, look forward to Fate/Unlimited Codes. Capcom’s fighting game masters have brought one of Japan’s most popular animes exclusively to the PSN, ready for the new PSPgo. High-flying combos and fast-paced versus action show off the game’s gorgeous 3D graphics, and it’s a fighting-game experience you can’t get anywhere else.

Next, keep your eyes out for more gems from Capcom, being brought directly to the PSN. Check out the full list below, including PSone and UMD Legacy titles, and come back often for more info on individual release timing.

Capcom Classics Collection Remixed (UMD Legacy)

Mega Man Powered Up (UMD Legacy)

Dino Crisis (PlayStation Legacy)

Power Stone Collection (UMD Legacy)

Mega Man Maverick Hunter X (UMD Legacy)

Resident Evil 2 (PlayStation Legacy)

Darkstalkers (UMD Legacy)

Street Fighter Alpha 3 Max (UMD Legacy)

Resident Evil 3: Nemesis (PlayStation Legacy)

Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded (UMD Legacy)

Just tried downloading it but for whatever reason I can't seem to add funds to my account. I don't know how much playtime it will get though, especially with Battlefield 1943 coming next week. But for £6, its worth a punt.

I'm tempted to get the Punisher, the second film is guff but the first one was awesome...won't get much play time what with Battlefield next week plus did anyone else see;

James Pond 2: Codename Robocod PS1 game (£3.99)

Must buy for me. Used to love it on my Amiga!!!

Full list of stuff is here;

http://playstation.joystiq.com/2009/07/02/european-psn-releases-for-july-2/

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!