NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

Its possible Sony required minis to be programed in a way that they can easily be scaled.

Its possible Sony required minis to be programed in a way that they can easily be scaled.

I highly doubt it when the fast majority of them have been slap dash ports from the likes of the iphone, mobiles and even the odd amiga port...much like trophies Sony are only thinking of the now, not the past lol...

Better late than never. It'll be interesting to see if development of the minis are effected in any way, maybe smaller games having higher assets in them or sommit.

I still really want a PSP.... How much are they now?

Most games for mobile phones are programed to be scaleable, since many phones have different resolutions. Apple also recommends iPhone games be scaleable so they can be played on future products. Not to mention, that in most computer science classes, you are taught to program so that your code can easily be adapted for changes in the project (and one specific example sometimes given is resolution).

Not that I give a toss about minis (dont see myself buying them), but it would be weird having a superior version on the console if they do add trophies for them. If they use the same save file (would be strange to start a campaign thing on a Mini and then start over on a console) so youd probably want to transfer them onto PS3.

That means you have hax0rz on the PSP, uploading the save onto PS3 for easy trophy time.

Just dont buy them, its probably a cheap sony ploy to get easy monies from phone game suppliers that can make the easy transition and theyll release anything because I doubt the stuff goes through a seal of approval, especially true seeing as the tripe that is Hail to the Chimp got released on disc for the system.

336 PS3's linked together to form some kind of super computer for the US Air Force....

500x_ps3skynet.jpg

And they've just ordered another 2200!!:o

Most games for mobile phones are programed to be scaleable, since many phones have different resolutions. Apple also recommends iPhone games be scaleable so they can be played on future products. Not to mention, that in most computer science classes, you are taught to program so that your code can easily be adapted for changes in the project (and one specific example sometimes given is resolution).

Hmm... does this mean there's a strong possibility, that Wii games might be scalable, meaning they won't look that bad when Nintendo decides to port certain Wii games to a HD console?

Hmm... does this mean there's a strong possibility, that Wii games might be scalable, meaning they won't look that bad when Nintendo decides to port certain Wii games to a HD console?

lol you joke about it but using the Wii emulator on PC that upscales does show alot of assets are kinda scalable to HD.

Minis for PS3 is an excellent idea. Much like PS1 games you can play them on both systems , larger audience and for Minis cheap, quick games etc.

Now for the comic reader :p

Here is a round up of reviews for the Minis http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2009/12/08/the-best-and-worst-of-psp-minis/

Some are quite good.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

I still don't get Sony's reason for doing this in respects to the PSP. The PSP Go has only just been released and the mini's were marketed as part of that rebrand and putting the platform in competition with the likes of the iPhone. That message is now diluted as they can be played on PS3. It just smacks me as a bizarre decision....Sony seem to do this from time to time, send out contradicting messages. Why not keep the PSP Mini range as that and make more PSN games that work between the two.... We still havn't even seen the full fruits of playing PSN titles via remote play with only a handful that support the feature and yet another way of getting games is out there and further complicating things for those who perhaps aren't as aware of how PSN works.

I'm not saying its a bad thing that people who wouldn't otherwise have played the titles will now be able to just I'm not sure what it says about Sony in the greater sense.

336 PS3's linked together to form some kind of super computer for the US Air Force....

500x_ps3skynet.jpg

And they've just ordered another 2200!!:o

It's gonna be one hot room in there!!!!!!!!!

lol you joke about it but using the Wii emulator on PC that upscales does show alot of assets are kinda scalable to HD.

If anything, the fact that the Wii games are so scaleable, strengthens my previous point. Seeing as there's no reason for Wii games to be scaleable.

Just call them 'PlayStation Minis' instead.

Fieldrunners looks good, but I've never played Tower Defense and not much of a strategy gamer..

Also available for like £2 cheaper on the iPhone.

If anything, the fact that the Wii games are so scaleable, strengthens my previous point. Seeing as there's no reason for Wii games to be scaleable.

Yeah I did realise my post backed up your arguement but couldn't let it go as it is a fact Wii games look great upscaled on the emulator

I agree, I wasn't actually arguing against you, I was just quoting you rather than re-writing it myself.

I agree, I wasn't actually arguing against you, I was just quoting you rather than re-writing it myself.

Yeah I know lol...

Also available for like £2 cheaper on the iPhone.

So I should buy an iPhone and a 14 month contract to save £2 on Fieldrunners?

Makes sense to me.

I have fieldrunners on the iPhone. It's not that good. Especially if you're used to much more awesome free web alternatives like Desktop Tower Defense.

So anyway. I guess I just bought a PS3 (thanks JonSt). What PS3 exclusives do I need? Should I get Uncharted before I play Uncharted 2? Bearing in mind story is something I'm bothered about. Killzone? Resistance 2? These are games right? How about LittleBigPlanet?

Makes sense to me.

I have fieldrunners on the iPhone. It's not that good. Especially if you're used to much more awesome free web alternatives like Desktop Tower Defense.

So anyway. I guess I just bought a PS3 (thanks JonSt). What PS3 exclusives do I need? Should I get Uncharted before I play Uncharted 2? Bearing in mind story is something I'm bothered about. Killzone? Resistance 2? These are games right? How about LittleBigPlanet?

Yeah play uncharted first, not a massive amount of story is carried over to the second one bar a little bit and of course u get to know the main characters in the first.

Killzone 2 single player was pretty meh but the online was ace.

Again might be better playing Resistance before Resistance 2 as the story does follow on from each other, second one is alot better than the first but still not brilliant.

LittleBigPlanet is really good, it's 'different' and i have enjoyed playing levels that other people have made.

If your a fan of the Metal Gear series then Metal Gear Solid 4 is a must. I found the Ratchet and Clank games to be really fun. Some PSN games like Super StarDust HD are worth looking into also.

Erm, thats all i can think of right now of the top of my head!

Yeah definately play Uncharted 1 first if possible. 2 can be easily enjoyed and understood on its own but there is some history from Uncharted 1 that translates over to 2. As for other exclusives, id say you need MGS4, Demon's Souls, and God of War Collection.

edit: yeah what mike said

for my "big gets"

id say the following

ESSENTAL

little big planet - it takes a little while to "get" it, its not untill your making your own levels that you really appreciate it fully. that said, the main game is fantastic any way, and theres a lot of fun to be had playing outher peoples levels, if you filter out bomb survival levels.

uncharted - a supprise hit for me, expected a standard action game, got an amazine action game with one of the best executed stories in recent gaming.

uncharted 2 - simply couldent be better, improves in every way on the origional, and has very few flaws.

killzone 2 - singlepalyer is pretty good, but multiplayer is fatastic. the size of the matches is staggering.

RECOMENDED

inFAMOUS - a really fun game, with great powers and a real feeling of being a super hero. the game does lack a little polish, but its still great fun.

resistance 2 - a great game, some awsome set peices that really do drop your jaw, maybe let down by a couple of strange decisions gameplay wise.

BUZZ! - Got mates? Go out drinking? this is the perfect pre piss up game, the game is short enought hat people not playing wont get bored, but long enough to make it a really hard fought battle. great fun.

MGS4 - a great for people who like the mgs serise, for outhers, it might have a bit to much story.

motorstorm: pacific rift - i deffy you not lot have a smile as you blast through the jungle in a mad race. both ott and tactical, pacific rift is a great title.

So I should buy an iPhone and a 14 month contract to save £2 on Fieldrunners?

These games are slightly enhanced on PSP on the other hand. Plus you have better control.

The 17th is the day officially we are supposed to play some of these on PS3. But afew are already working.

for my "big gets"

id say the following

ESSENTAL

little big planet - it takes a little while to "get" it, its not untill your making your own levels that you really appreciate it fully. that said, the main game is fantastic any way, and theres a lot of fun to be had playing outher peoples levels, if you filter out bomb survival levels.

uncharted - a supprise hit for me, expected a standard action game, got an amazine action game with one of the best executed stories in recent gaming.

uncharted 2 - simply couldent be better, improves in every way on the origional, and has very few flaws.

killzone 2 - singlepalyer is pretty good, but multiplayer is fatastic. the size of the matches is staggering.

RECOMENDED

inFAMOUS - a really fun game, with great powers and a real feeling of being a super hero. the game does lack a little polish, but its still great fun.

resistance 2 - a great game, some awsome set peices that really do drop your jaw, maybe let down by a couple of strange decisions gameplay wise.

BUZZ! - Got mates? Go out drinking? this is the perfect pre piss up game, the game is short enought hat people not playing wont get bored, but long enough to make it a really hard fought battle. great fun.

MGS4 - a great for people who like the mgs serise, for outhers, it might have a bit to much story.

motorstorm: pacific rift - i deffy you not lot have a smile as you blast through the jungle in a mad race. both ott and tactical, pacific rift is a great title.

MGS4 and Buzz are essential too IMO. Infamous is awesome as a game shame about it being ugly. Right now i prefer Infamous to Assassins 2 but lets see. Assassins 2 kills it on presentation.

Edited by Choze
Automerged Doublepost

These games are slightly enhanced on PSP on the other hand. Plus you have better control.

The 17th is the day officially we are supposed to play some of these on PS3. But afew are already working.

That's worth an extra £2 in my book. The last post was sarcasm by the way.