NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

MTV's Multiplayer is reporting that Sony has started charging a fee to publishers for downloadable content. Starting October 1 of last year, publishers had to pay a 16 cents per Gigabyte fee for both paid or free DLC. Previously, there had been no such bandwidth fee charged by Sony.

The fee applies to free content (like demos) for only two months after its release, but paid content (like map packs) will always be subject to charges until that content is removed from the PS3's online store. Considering the large size of many of these files, the thought of having to pay thousands in fees to Sony when they do not have to incur such taxes from Microsoft is rankling some publishers.

"It definitely makes us think about how we view the distribution of content related to our games when it is free for us to do it on the web, on Xbox Live, or any other way — including broadcast — than on Sony's platform," one anonymous publishing source said. "It's a new thing we have to budget. It's not cool. It sucks."

While this policy has the possibility of scaring away publishers from placing downloadable content on the PlayStation Network, Sony dismissed this possibility. "Appreciate the opportunity to jump in here, but we respect the confidentiality of our business agreements with our publishing partners," said SCEA spokesman Patrick Seybold said in an e-mailed statement. "Of course we work closely with them to bring their amazing content to our growing audience, and we are focused on ensuring we, and our publishing partners, have a viable platform for digital distribution. We foresee no change in the high quality or quantity of demos and games available on PSN."

A cursory comparison of PSN and Xbox Live indicates no drastic change in online content availability, but the effect may be more perceivable as publishers start receiving the bills from Sony. "It's like leaving your phone off the hook for a long distance call," the source said. "The meter is still running."

gamedaily.com

2 hours to clan match on kz2. Just post if you want a spot reserved. we will defeat anyone :p

Yeah i will be there. Need to get some practice in as I think I will be a bit rusty =/

Let me know how it went. It says only two people are in but it wouldnt let me join... oddly.

Added a new 4v4 match in case.

Yeah you need to join in advance, cant join after the match has started. Looked close score wise, we won body count and assasination, last one being thanks to mike. But 2v3 is a little hard. Engineer are sadly a bit poo in those circumstances.

does anyone eles find the headset super uncomfortable? had a resi 5 sesh and it was digging into me the whole time

does anyone eles find the headset super uncomfortable? had a resi 5 sesh and it was digging into me the whole time

For extended periods of play yeah. I have to take it out of my ear for about 5 mins before I can carry on playing as it sometimes gets very painful.

Yes same here. I just keep it loose and dont tighten it. The inside of my ear gets sensitive.

The Hub

The Hub is a secret area created for early Home alpha-testers. It has recently been modified.

New area in Home. Access it by using the Xi teleport in Home square.

I'm downloading it now.

Edit: This is really awesome. I love interactive community stuff like this. Bit like being a detective. :D

Edited by Daft

It's certainly the most interesting thing to come out of Home so far; not that I want to damn it with faint praise. I seem to have done everything there is to do for the moment, but it's entertaining enough that I'll go back when more tasks become available.

Ironically, of course, I'd prefer the area if there weren't other people around. They kept broadcasting the answers which rather undermined my own detective work.

Yeah, would be nice if maybe the area was a bit bigger at least.

I like the whole back story about Jess disappearing. It does quite a cool little job, I think. Hopefully it might link into GDC this week. That'd be cool.

I'm looking forward to finding out what's in the manhole near the gate.

I will check it out. Content is slowly being added too. I hope GDC has some updates too like videos and items.

I wish they would sort out streaming conferences live into home to watch with friends...it needs doing just makes so much sense.

Anybody else getting Rock Band 2 on Friday?

Apparently nobody then!

Bloody hell!

:weep:

Any date set for Sony's GDC conference?

No idea. But they have started sending out press releases.

Of note Incognito(Warhawk) sort of lives on and are now LightBox Interactive. They will be making exclusive PS games under SCEA. Which is good news.

The other is something about PHYREENGINE 2.40 which is used to make PS3 games. Tons of developers are using it, especially on PSN. So expect PSN stuff. I think Fat Princess will be demoed.

Playfire have access to Trophy data for their own cards: http://www.playfire.com/a/blog/p/playfire-launch-brand-new-automated-trophy-card-with-theme-creator

and PS3 is 2 years old in Europe.

Apparently nobody then!

Bloody hell!

I would but i havent sold my bongos from Donkey Konga yet. My house is a mess :p

Apparently nobody then!

Bloody hell!

I will be just perhaps not friday as very skint, and I only have a guitar at the moment.

I wish they would sort out streaming conferences live into home to watch with friends...it needs doing just makes so much sense.

Yeah, it's not even that hard to implement. Just do p2p torrenting.

MGS4 had a torrent client in it for updates.

Apparently nobody then!

Bloody hell!

I have it on pre-order so am available to Rock from aprox Thursday onwards. :awesome:

Where's the cheapest place to get it Solus?

I've only got the drum kit from the first one.

Can you buy the game and just the guitar?

Where's the cheapest place to get it Solus?

I've only got the drum kit from the first one.

Can you buy the game and just the guitar?

Hmmm it's around £39.99 but some sites have it for £37.99 (shopto does). You could get a cheap ass Guitar Hero 3 Les Paul - works fine with it (although personally I'm using the GHWT one it's awesome)

I will be just perhaps not friday as very skint, and I only have a guitar at the moment.

A guitar is all you need! - get the rest of the equipment later.

I have it on pre-order so am available to Rock from aprox Thursday onwards. :awesome:

I should hopefully have it from Thursday too - come on Gameplay!

I'm lucky I've got the full band kit from GHWT and free Bass guitar (thats the GH3 guitar) add a few mates some beers and happy times ensue - I can't wait.

Unreal Tournament 3 is £9.99

http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/1021979/Unreal-Tournament-III/Product.html

Good deal if you are into UT and the fact the PS3 game lets you play user mods, characters and levels.

Prince of Persia with Epilogue content £17.99: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/8986149/Prince-Of-Persia-Play-com-Exclusive-Edition/Product.html

The below are must haves imo.

Persona 4 £9.99 : http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation2/4-/8697426/Persona-4/Product.html

Little Big Planet £12.99: http://www.play.com/Games/PlayStation3/4-/3433970/LittleBigPlanet/Product.html