NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/01/20/upcoming-ps3-firmware-v260-update/

New firmware update.

The PS3 firmware update (v2.60) is designed primarily to enhance the system’s media capabilities. The key feature is a new Photo Gallery application, which delivers a suite of tools for sorting through and displaying your digital photo collection. Digital pictures can be organized in groups according to various criteria, including the camera used to take the photos, the event date and time, colors in the photos, as well as the number, ages, or facial expressions of the people pictured. You can also create slideshows set to music and build photo playlists with an easy-to-use interface. The Photo Gallery application will need to be installed separately from the XMB after you update your PS3’s firmware. To install the Photo Gallery application, go to the Photo section on the XMB, select Photo Gallery and press the X button.

The 2.60 update also includes:

* Guest access to PlayStation Store – This enables non-PlayStation Network members to browse through the storefront to check out the latest games, demos, videos, etc.

* DivX 3.11 support – Videos in this format can now be played on PS3.

Look forward to the photo update! :D

Just got myself a PS3 with LittleBigPlanet and GTA IV and 2 pads for £215 :) can't wait to get on it. Few Q's

What can I expect / how awesome is it?

How does it compere to an xbox 360?

What's 'Home' like?

What PSN games are good, how are they priced? (i.e are they a rip off?)

Should I just get rid of my xbox now? (I hate gears, halo and fable 2...)

Cheers! : peace:

Where from? Second hand im guessing...

Got the console and the pads for £190 off avforums.com then GTA was a tenner and LBP from playtrade for just over £15.

---

Tomb Raider Underworld isn't as fun as Legends. It's missing bits here and there like the talking while you are exploring.

@ Kaz's PR

*yawn*

not face-plain?

Looking forward to the photo update! :D

Really?

More update information:

- 3-D Secure Support: 3-D secure of credit cards are now supported (whatever that means).

- XMB Theme Support on Blu-ray movie discs. You can apparently download themes from BD movies. The first movie to have this feature will be "Pineapple Express".

- HDD game data can be deleted during gameplay if the HDD becomes full.

- Safe Mode. A warning is added to mention to "Restore Default Settings" apparently when the PS3 needs to.

I've started another run-through of MGS4. Brilliant game, just went through the first chapter and was very fun, skipping the parts I don't want, using a few stealthy moves but also popping the occasional cap into the PMCs.

Wonder if Daft and co will be able to resistance the temptation to play through another time soon?!

not face-plain?

Na, this PR guff is boring. All companies do it.

I only hate it when apple do it though.

I've started another run-through of MGS4. Brilliant game, just went through the first chapter and was very fun, skipping the parts I don't want, using a few stealthy moves but also popping the occasional cap into the PMCs.

Wonder if Daft and co will be able to resistance the temptation to play through another time soon?!

I was just about to respond and say, not for a while but I don't have uni until Monday (got to go in on the Friday for an hour though) but...you are tempting me!!... :heh:

Must complete TR:U and SR2 first though.

not face-plain?

Really?

More update information:

- 3-D Secure Support: 3-D secure of credit cards are now supported (whatever that means).

- XMB Theme Support on Blu-ray movie discs. You can apparently download themes from BD movies. The first movie to have this feature will be "Pineapple Express".

- HDD game data can be deleted during gameplay if the HDD becomes full.

- Safe Mode. A warning is added to mention to "Restore Default Settings" apparently when the PS3 needs to.

Thanks Sounds good. There will obviously me more tweaks than what sony let on ;)

Just had a really gutted feeling. I was ranking up on Motorstorm and I thought I was about to attain the gold trophy for Rank 5 (legend) when in fact I was only reaching veteran... I swear something went wrong because I was veteran before hand, got the trophy yet and somehow I haven't ranked up... I know you can be deducted points but I have only been gaining them :/

Outrun Online Arcade will not be released on the PlayStation Network in North America, Sega has confirmed to CVG.

Instead the colourful update will opt for Xbox Live Arcade exclusivity in the US, while the Europe will receive both PSN and XBLA versions as planned.

When quizzed on the reason behind the North American exclusivity, Sega UK declined to comment.

The new Outrun is in development at Sheffield-based Sumo Digital (who does every Sega XBLA game in the world, by the looks of it) and, along with new high-res visuals, will allow for six mental racers to go sideways in online bouts.

Have a look at this brilliant trailer.

It's not all bad news for our PS3-owning US cousins though, because as we all know accessing the European PlayStation Store is as easy as fiddling with a few profile options.

MS seem to waste money left and right on dumb exclusives on DLC, rereleases and demos.

The new photo update is great. Its really great for organising photos. Mums will love it. :heh:

I don't get why microsoft are only doing this for North America though?! Seems pointless do they think is the US its that a big a deal getting this exclusive?!

Thank fuck!! Wooo!!

When's it out!?

Reports say March/April.

USA December Sales Reveal MGS4's Million

The top 20 selling software list for December 2008 released by the NPD Group on Thursday of last week contained some surprising appearances as well as absences. Today Gamasutra obtained exclusive data to gain more perspective on the sales of some key titles.

The reappearance of Mario Kart DS, which first launched in November 2005, demonstrated the strength of first-party software on Nintendo's dominant handheld. However, big-name titles like Ubisoft's Prince of Persia, Sony's Resistance 2, and Eidos' Tomb Raider: Underworld fell completely below the top 20 list, and so their sales figures remained unknown.

Furthermore, NPD provided us with launch-to-date sales for Konami's Metal Gear Solid 4.

Sony Exclusives: LittleBigPlanet and Resistance 2

For months, Sony has promoted Media Molecule's LittleBigPlanet as its first substantial test of the Game 3.0 model first put forward by Phil Harrison at Game Developer's Conference in February 2007.

While the game did debut at number eight on the all-platform top 10 chart following its release in October 2008, it then faded below the top 20 on the crowded November chart. Going into December, the game had launch-to-date sales of only 356,000 units.

ic5pj7.jpg

While it did not make the top 20, sales of LittleBigPlanet did rebound in the final month of 2008 to 255,000 units, bringing its LTD total to 611,000 units after three months. In a November interview on GamesIndustry.biz, head of Sony's public relations for the UK, David Wilson, expressed a belief that that "Sackboy hasn't even hit his stride yet" and that sales would pick up in December.

Resistance 2 is the sequel to Resistance: Fall of Man, Insomniac's alternate history shooter and a key launch title for the PlayStation 3 in November 2006.

After launching 385,000 units in November 2008, Resistance 2 sales fell 45 percent in December. Its LTD total now stands at 598,000 units.

For context, it is helpful to note that the original sold through 757,000 units in its first 13 months, but on a much smaller userbase and with fewer big-name titles for competition. It appears likely that Resistance 2 will surpass sales of Resistance: Fall of Man within the first few months of 2009.

Metal Gear Solid 4 Passes 1 Million

According to figures from the NPD Group, Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots has now sold over 1.076 million units since its launch in mid-June of 2008.

rawzd3.jpg

MGS4 was the PlayStation 3's first game to reach number one on the NPD Group's all-format monthly sales charts, with consumers purchasing nearly 775,000 copies of the game. It subsequently fell from the top 20 charts and has averaged around 50,000 units per month in the interim.

The figures shown here, however, are only for sales of the boxed versions of Metal Gear Solid 4. Total sales are likely much higher, since additional copies were sold to consumers in special PlayStation 3 hardware bundles.

Big Names, Smaller Sales

In mid-November, Eidos released the latest Lara Croft adventure game, Tomb Raider: Underworld, on three home consoles: Microsoft's Xbox 360, Sony's PlayStation 3, and Nintendo's Wii. Using a completely new engine and more fully utilizing the latest graphics capabilities of the latest consoles, Underworld was a key title in Eidos's year-end portfolio.

According to recent reports, the latest Tomb Raider did not perform up to expectations and Eidos shares lost 25 percent of their value when the company subsequently lowered its full fiscal year guidance.

Eidos had reported sales of 1.5 million copies worldwide. According to the NPD Group, the combined U.S. sales of the game across all three consoles totaled only 246,000 copies since launch.

e9yl9y.jpg

The new entry in Ubisoft's Prince of Persia series also failed to chart after its launch in early December. Sales of the console versions -- on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 -- totaled only 483,000 copies. During 2007, Ubisoft's new property, Assassin's Creed, sold 1.87 million copies just on the Xbox 360, although it did launch more than two weeks earlier and benefited from the late November sales rush.

However, we can also say more about Prince of Persia and how well it sold on the two consoles. In particular, Prince of Persia was the fourth best-selling PS3 game in December, between LittleBigPlanet at number 3 and Resistance 2 at number 6. Since we know those two other games sold 255,000 and 213,000 units in December, respectively, we can say that the PS3 version of Prince of Persia had sales somewhere between those two figures.

Those numbers suggest that the two versions of Prince of Persia probably had sales within 30,000 units of each other, which is notable given that the installed base for the Xbox 360 is more than twice that of the PlayStation 3.

Wow. Just installed the update, then installed the photo gallery, then it runs automatically, only to start hanging, causing me to wait for 10 mins, rather than the approximate 1 min. So I turn my machine off, turn it on again, only to see a 'rebuilding database' message. I will be SERIOUSLY pissed off if all my saves are gone. I mean the damn update was supposed to increase stability.

Well it seems all my saves are fine. Although, in my game menu, some is turning up as corrupted =S only 7000kb in size though which is nowhere near big enough for a game, so im thinking one of my saves is buggered...

Photo Gallery thing is really nice though.

AND it can be used while playing music of your OWN choice! WIN!

AND it can be used while playing music of your OWN choice! WIN!

It'd be nice if I could listen to our own music in Home.

If they did a deal with apple we could listen to iPods like in MGS4. :heh:

Imagine if iTunes was incorporated into Home...That would be amazing.

It'd be nice if I could listen to our own music in Home.

If they did a deal with apple we could listen to iPods like in MGS4. :heh:

Imagine if iTunes was incorporated into Home...That would be amazing.

I don't like itunes :blank: , but thanks for reminding me to set up some podcasts for downloading : peace:

I don't like itunes :blank: , but thanks for reminding me to set up some podcasts for downloading : peace:

I don't really use it for anything but as a player and for my iPod but if they integrated it into the PS3 that'd just give it an amazing amount of content.

The cinema in Home could have constantly updated trailers.

Wishful thinking but still a great idea imo.

I don't really use it for anything but as a player and for my iPod but if they integrated it into the PS3 that'd just give it an amazing amount of content.

The cinema in Home could have constantly updated trailers.

Wishful thinking but still a great idea imo.

When was the last time you were on home cos I cant remember the last time i went on it...

I think I'm just going to sell LBP. I don't play it now and I lost my save data for it so I really can't be arsed with it anymore.

Has anyone else read the ESRB description of Noby Noby Boy?

It sounds like a mix between the original Snake and Katamari. But, it sounds pretty awesome.