NEurope
McPhee

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

I wanna do it! Now a good time for you? LOL this is gonna be sweet!

Turned out to be crap cause it didn't work... Oh well.

And damn my PS3 is SHIT! I've lost all of my single-player game data cause it's corrupted. Brilliant. So that's why I put so much time into the festival.

And I couldn't find my mic to talk to Cooky whilst we kicked a few butts (mostly got mine kicked).

At least some of the races were good. I seem to either do really well or really crap.

Please tell me that the hard disk is the problem! Basically I've had errors occur where data corrupts itself, downloaded videos rarely reach full playback before they get corrupted, and when downloading demos in background it fails to install sometimes (most times).

Please tell me that the hard disk is the problem! Basically I've had errors occur where data corrupts itself, downloaded videos rarely reach full playback before they get corrupted, and when downloading demos in background it fails to install sometimes (most times).

Could be. I am not an expert though. Which HDD are you using? Might be worth running a scan?

Most PS3 issues are actually HDD related and the BD drive locks up as a precaution.

Find out if there is a way of checking. But i think it sounds like it. Bad news is its going to be tough to backup if it cant read that is. Run some file copying tests and see. I cant think of anything.

Well I did buy the thing second hand, it is 40GB. It is the only problem with it.

LoveFilm are sending me Tomb Raider: Underworld. Can't wait to try it out. Should come tomorrow.

LoveFilm are sending me Tomb Raider: Underworld. Can't wait to try it out. Should come tomorrow.

Been looking to buy that as its quite cheap. Even though it got some pretty average reviews I quite fancy it. I have not played a Tomb Raider game since the PS1.

I really enjoyed Legends. I picked it up for £12 last year and was pleasantly surprised. T'was my first TR game.

I was considering buying this but LoveFilm came through so don't have to.

I played the demo (on cousins 360) and was surprised how good the graphics were. The platforming stuff is pretty good but shooting tigers is lame. I really didn't get it so basically I just took up positions where they couldn't get me, like under a log.

Comical actually, just seeing the tigers happily queue up right in my face for me to pump them with lead.

bad news!

Japan's Square Enix Holdings Co Ltd said it enjoyed robust holiday sales despite a slowing economy, and the videogame maker expects its operating profit to be roughly in line with its forecast for the year to March.

The global downturn has prompted some consumers to give up purchases of big-ticket items such as cars and flat TVs, but the game industry is relatively well-shielded as people stay home and turn to low-budget entertainment.

"Demand has been generally brisk," Square Enix President Yoichi Wada told Reuters in an interview on Thursday.

"The sluggish economy has not hurt us that much yet."

Square Enix, known for such blockbuster titles as "Dragon Quest" and "Final Fantasy", said last November its operating profit was likely to dip 2.4 percent to 21 billion yen ($236 million) this business year compared with the previous year.

Analysts on average expect Square Enix to post an operating profit of 27.4 billion yen, according to Reuters Estimates.

The Tokyo-based company plans to launch the latest installment of its "Dragon Quest" game series on March 28 in Japan for Nintendo Co Ltd's wildly popular DS handheld game gear, giving itself a major sales and profitability boost.

Square Enix also plans to launch the next version of "Final Fantasy" in 2009 in Japan, further strengthening its product lineup.

Overseas launches of the latest "Final Fantasy" game will come in the business year from April 2010 or later, Wada said.

Square Enix will offer the latest version, "Final Fantasy XIII", for both Sony Corp's PlayStation 3 and Microsoft Corp's Xbox 360 in North America and Europe, and exclusively for the PS3 in Japan.

Annual earnings at video game software makers vary significantly depending on whether they launch popular titles in the year.

Square Enix has sold more than 47 million units of its Dragon Quest games and more than 85 million units of Final Fantasy titles.

EYES ON M&A

In the longer term, Wada said the company now appears likely to miss its recurring profit target of 50 billion yen for the year ending in March 2011, given the global downturn and a firmer yen, which eats into exporters' revenues when converted into the Japanese currency.

"It's going to be tough ... Just when we are trying to boost our overseas sales, the yen is getting firmer," Wada said.

Japanese videogame software makers including Square Enix and rivals Konami Corp and Capcom Co Ltd will need to expand their overseas presence as the population in Japan is shrinking as well as ageing rapidly.

He said, however, the company will continue working towards that goal through various steps including business alliances with other software makers.

For the current business year to March, Square Enix forecast a recurring profit of 20 billion yen.

Wada said he was in talks with quite a few companies on possible acquisitions, repeating his usual reply to M&A questions.

"Talks are going on with various companies at home as well as abroad," he said, without elaborating.

Square Enix last year offered to buy smaller Japanese rival Tecmo in a deal worth at least about $100 million, but Tecmo rejected the proposal and said it would instead merge with another Japanese game developer, Koei Co Ltd.

Shortly after Wada's comments, shares in Square Enix closed down 1.4 percent at 2,540 yen, outperforming the Nikkei average, which fell 4.9 percent. ($1=88.94 Yen) (Reporting by Kiyoshi Takenaka; Editing by Michael Watson)

RPG are not important anymore. Square blew it.

WTH Choze!

RPG are not important anymore. Oh Choze. :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Without any major or good RPG for so long the market has moved on. Persona is good but besides that there hasnt been much on home consoles.

Well I did buy the thing second hand, it is 40GB. It is the only problem with it.

Might be worth looking into a HDD upgrade anyway. 40gb is quite small and the errors can only get worse.

My heart just died at the words "RPGs aren't important"

If i couldn't play RPGs I'd be a rapist.

My PS3 is royally fucking up now. Not really a choice, it must be sent off for repair.

My PS3 is royally fucking up now. Not really a choice, it must be sent off for repair.

Sounds like the HDD. Its only going to get worse. :heh: At some point your Blu Ray drive will lock up. Have you backed up your data? Its difficult if the HDD keeps messing up. Try to copy your saves at least. I think changing the HDD will solve the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/tv launched to provide a better interface for Tv users. Havent tried it yet.

youtubeps3sc.jpg

Sounds like the HDD. Its only going to get worse. :heh: At some point your Blu Ray drive will lock up. Have you backed up your data? Its difficult if the HDD keeps messing up. Try to copy your saves at least. I think changing the HDD will solve the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/tv launched to provide a better interface for Tv users. Havent tried it yet.

youtubeps3sc.jpg

Tried it yesterday. Tis ok really, though I think it ate up my Ps3's ram really fast causing it to crash (I assume it eats ram fast). Also could not figure out how to get HD versions of vids i was watching to show. does not seem to be an option.

Playstation blog has new on a release of Ulitmate Ghosts and Goblins coming out for the americans tomorrow. Would really like to get this as I have never played a G & G game but it costs $20 and also I have no idea when we are getting this.

Nice vid of the action here

My heart just died at the words "RPGs aren't important"

If i couldn't play RPGs I'd be a rapist.

rpg's are my favorite genra. im consoling myself witht he fact that white knight cohronicles and the last reminant should reach ps3 in 09.

tbh, i always expect FF to be late.

What about the MMORPG? Phil Harrison was abit blunt about them coming this year.

I still think WOW is tops.

Playstation blog has new on a release of Ulitmate Ghosts and Goblins coming out for the americans tomorrow. Would really like to get this as I have never played a G & G game but it costs $20 and also I have no idea when we are getting this.

For the PSP?

I saw this and thought the PS3 was getting a version but its a PSP download. Almost makes me want to buy a PSP :(

For the PSP?

I saw this and thought the PS3 was getting a version but its a PSP download. Almost makes me want to buy a PSP :(

Ah crap, got my hopes up for nothing

Thing is at the moment when I enter a game I can't use the XMB because it just freezes and doesn't work, so I have to turn it off. Also, lots of times the menus freeze and when loading something it fails.

Finally there's the issue of corrupted data so it's all going wrong.

I don't know whether I should fork out on a new hard drive in a hope it will fix or if I should ask it to be repaired/replaced by Sony.

I've already had to do one system restore and I really don't think another one will solve it permanently. I need the issue to be resolved before Killzone 2 comes out.

I don't have any receipts but apparently you only need a warrenty sticker and they can repair it for you, no matter if it's 1 year or 3 years old. Anyone verify that?

Thing is at the moment when I enter a game I can't use the XMB because it just freezes and doesn't work, so I have to turn it off. Also, lots of times the menus freeze and when loading something it fails.

Finally there's the issue of corrupted data so it's all going wrong.

I don't know whether I should fork out on a new hard drive in a hope it will fix or if I should ask it to be repaired/replaced by Sony.

I've already had to do one system restore and I really don't think another one will solve it permanently. I need the issue to be resolved before Killzone 2 comes out.

I don't have any receipts but apparently you only need a warrenty sticker and they can repair it for you, no matter if it's 1 year or 3 years old. Anyone verify that?

ok you can ring sony and see what they say. If you have warranty issues just sign up and pay at http://www.continuousplay.co.uk saves you a ton of worry and hassle. i personally think its the hdd. But i am no expert. My theory is change the hdd and it should be fine. The new hdd can be used no matter what so dont worry if anything else is wrong as you gain more space. If your chipset was messed up you would know. Backup and try the hdd imo. You can scan the hdd later when you get a newone.