Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

PlayStation 3 Console Discussion

McPhee

You can't go wrong with Bad Company 2 (Full price retail), or Battlefield 1943 ($14.99 on the PSN store).

I'd avoid lost planet though. The first one at least wasn't worth playing at all on the PS3 due to the controls, and there being much better shooters out there.

• Replies 14.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Daft

• flameboy

• dwarf

• Choze

Top Posters In This Topic

I was thinking of BF: 1943 but it got only 4 maps. On the other site its really cheap and for that money its a great game. KZ2 are aslo cheap now (Im low on cash now, after PS3 purchase). KZ2 and/or Motorstorm: PR is good investment then. And later Uncharted 2.

I dont know so much about Lost Planet 2, just that it looks really good, features BIG monsters that you suppose to kill in co-op. Much like Monster Hunter 3.

Gold Panda, think those guys gave you some BAD advice. MGS4 is very fun in multiplayer. Takes awhile to get used to but the range of actions that are available to you are quite extensive and make for some very fun and tense games:

Also, I played a demo of lost planet 2 awhile ago and the co-op on that is sooo much fun. Another game with many options available to the player, the graphics are wonderful, and the bosses are huge! So big you can get swallowed up by one, only to carry on the fight inside him. Never did figure out how to get out of him though...I can't remember if the controls were any different from the first game, but I remember them being perfectly fine.

Uncharted 2 is a must. Single player is awesome and the multi is pretty good too. Personally I spend most of my multiplayer time on the coop.

I've only played single player so far but i'm gonna try and get some of the multiplayer trophies, so will be giving it a go soonish.

I'll put it this way, 1943 might have only 4 maps, but the diversity of gameplay, not to mention the size and amazing design of the maps, makes it feel just as good as a game with 10 or 15 maps. Plus its less than half the price of a full retail game. You can't go wrong with it.

The moments I had camping in the boat on Guadalcanal were worth the £10 alone.

The game is brilliant, and there's some nice easy and fun trophies to get on it too.

There's something about the maps and the limited weapon variety that make the game so incredibly good.

(btw I tried the Garand on BC2 when I picked it up from someone, it's actually really good)

So I'm planning on buying some sort of sandbox game today. I was thinking about Just Cause 2, but I'm not sure I want to pay the launch price for it, not to mention, I'm not sure I want to spend that much on a game period right now. The other game I was considering was GTA 4, which is less than half the price and even though its generally considered to be inferior to the PS2 GTA games, I haven't actually played any of them for more than a few minutes (I have played Chinatown Wars though), so I doubt I'll really be disappointed. Is there any overwhelming reason not to buy GTA 4 for $20 - $30ish? (Thats about £13 - £20).

PS3 Firmware Update 3.21

The next system software update for the PlayStation 3 (PS3) system will be released on April 1, 2010 (JST), and will disable the “Install Other OS” feature that was available on the PS3 systems prior to the current slimmer models, launched in September 2009. This feature enabled users to install an operating system, but due to security concerns, Sony Computer Entertainment will remove the functionality through the 3.21 system software update.

In addition, disabling the “Other OS” feature will help ensure that PS3 owners will continue to have access to the broad range of gaming and entertainment content from SCE and its content partners on a more secure system.

Consumers and organizations that currently use the “Other OS” feature can choose not to upgrade their PS3 systems, although the following features will no longer be available;

• Ability to sign in to PlayStation Network and use network features that require signing in to PlayStation Network, such as online features of PS3 games and chat
  • Playback of PS3 software titles or Blu-ray Disc videos that require PS3 system software version 3.21 or later
  • Playback of copyright-protected videos that are stored on a media server (when DTCP-IP is enabled under Settings)
  • Use of new features and improvements that are available on PS3 system software 3.21 or later

For those PS3 users who are currently using the “Other OS” feature but choose to install the system software update, to avoid data loss they first need to back-up any data stored within the hard drive partition used by the “Other OS,” as they will not be able to access that data following the update.

It would have been smarter to slip that in with an announcement of a cool new feature, not just throw it out there on its own. Come on, Sony, haven't you seen Marry Poppins?

Anyway, I'm indifferent. For one thing I have a Slim now, for which the feature is disabled anyway, but if I was particularly interested in making a Linux box I'd be better off buying some cheap PC hardware anyway. I'd rather have a machine that's harder to compromise.

It would have been smarter to slip that in with an announcement of a cool new feature, not just throw it out there on its own. Come on, Sony, haven't you seen Marry Poppins?

Anyway, I'm indifferent. For one thing I have a Slim now, for which the feature is disabled anyway, but if I was particularly interested in making a Linux box I'd be better off buying some cheap PC hardware anyway. I'd rather have a machine that's harder to compromise.

I very much agree with this.

The reason they put in the Other OS feature in the first place was to let people mess around with the cell, and hopefully get them interested in PS3 development. Now that lots of developers are supporting the PS3, its just a security risk.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!