Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Sexual Intercourse.

DanielTimothy

• Replies 879
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its not the intercourse that i was enquiring about so much, it was the nature of how the word sexual is used and its given context. As i undesrtand it, this term would have been used a biology and genetics context and so refers to mixing of genes.

But if that was the case then any sex using contaceptives wouldnt count either. So the only valid candidate would be baby making sex (or the intention of it). Hmm.... *ponders looking into the heavens*

its not the intercourse that i was enquiring about so much, it was the nature of how the word sexual is used and its given context. As i undesrtand it, this term would have been used a biology and genetics context and so refers to mixing of genes.

But if that was the case then any sex using contaceptives wouldnt count either. So the only valid candidate would be baby making sex (or the intention of it). Hmm.... *ponders looking into the heavens*

Go make some babies.

The genetic definition of sex is really nothing do do with the usual meaning of the word.

The genetic definition of sex is really nothing do do with the usual meaning of the word.

Well maybe that's what I'm getting at. When/where did this other use of the word come from? Sex as a word has only been used to describe sexual acts, as we know them now, relatively recently.

Just find it weird that the word started being used that way without some grosse misunderstanding (of the type of level that only a tabloid could be capable of!)

Well maybe that's what I'm getting at. When/where did this other use of the word come from? Sex as a word has only been used to describe sexual acts, as we know them now, relatively recently.

Just find it weird that the word started being used that way without some grosse misunderstanding (of the type of level that only a tabloid could be capable of!)

I think you'll find it's more the other way round - science adopted a common word and gave it a specific meaning... this happens a lot.

tbh, i wondered about posting here about mmm and fff threesomes as well as mmf and ffm, or whether this thread was solely for straight sex discussion, what with us already having a special LGBT thread~ i think homosexual intercourse can just be defined as "sexual intercourse" ... mainly cause i'm too lazy to say "hetro" or "homo" ...

but i'm loathed if i'm going to think about it for too long as i can't stand the idea of sitting here alone in my room debating the definition of sexual intercourse ... on the internet ... on my lonesome O____O

Really? I would have thought that the scientific meaning came first. Only on the grounds that I've never seen the word used in any context out of the scientific before the 60s ish.

Worth more investigation methinks.

Well, the OED has a written use of the term in that sense from 1929. But you're right, the other use of the term is older - it dates back to the 14th century. But I don't see this as being a problem - the term "sexual intercourse" has also changed in meaning over time.

Well, the OED has a written use of the term in that sense from 1929. But you're right, the other use of the term is older - it dates back to the 14th century. But I don't see this as being a problem - the term "sexual intercourse" has also changed in meaning over time.

Didn't really think of it as a problem. Was just musing over the transistion so I'll just leave it. Thanks for understanding what I'm getting at btw.

According to some assessment I did, I'm heading to the penultimate level of Hell with the rest of the perverts.

Talking of the Phelp's, did you hear that the WBC is planning to picket Heath Ledger's Funeral?

And yes, bumsex is still sex. Just like armpit sex is still gross.

gosh darnit, you beat me to it :P

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=sex&searchmode=none

says that sex meaning sexual intercourse was initiated by D.H. Lawrence in 1929... Somehow not that surprising, I guess.

What I found interesting on that page was

sextant Look up sextant at Dictionary.com

instrument for determining latitude, 1628, from Mod.L. sextans, said to have been coined c.1600 by Dan. astronomer Tycho Brahe, from L. sextans "a sixth," from sex "six." So called because the sextans has a graduated arc equal to a sixth part of a circle.

Tycho from Penny Arcade is over 400 years old.

Oh, back on topic; Sexy sex McSex!

gosh darnit, you beat me to it :P

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?search=sex&searchmode=none

says that sex meaning sexual intercourse was initiated by D.H. Lawrence in 1929... Somehow not that surprising, I guess.

And here's the quotation: "If you want to have sex, you've got to trust At the core of your heart, the other creature." - Pansies, line 57.

I love having free OED access. :smile:

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!