N-Europe

We've Not Forgotten About the Hardcore Gamer - Nintendo

jammy2211

I know I will be doing that when Duke Nukem Forever releases. I've been waiting ten years for this game, and it when it comes out, DAY 1, i'm gonna replace my entire computer in order to be able play this game in the "high" detail settings comfortably...

Oh I have Duke Nuem forever.. it an unlockable on the Wii.. it's wired into the system and unlocks when you have played casual games for almost 1 year..

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With a very few exceptions, most of Nintendo's Wii offerings, both released and announced, are largely unspectacular GC sequels.

3rd parties are missing a real opportunity to trump Nintendo with some AAA material.

Seriously, the first party lineup shouldnt be that hard to beat.

With a very few exceptions, most of Nintendo's Wii offerings, both released and announced, are largely unspectacular GC sequels.

3rd parties are missing a real opportunity to trump Nintendo with some AAA material.

Seriously, the first party lineup shouldnt be that hard to beat.

I agree with this post except for the comments about the first party games.

Thing is, we can't be very unhappy with it, but the lineup isn't all that good either. Metroid Prime 3 and Super Mario Galaxy are sublime, I don't question that, but other games are nonexistant... Most titles mentioned as 'core' titles are either average games or ports.

The people completely writing it off don't understand it either. There's quite a lot of really enjoyable stuff on Wii.

We've not forgotten about the hardcore gamer, we remember them every 10 or so months!

Thats exactly what it's been like, thankfully at this time of year that goes out the window and we get games like Metroid, Zelda, Mario within 2 months.

But if people want GTA, GT, MGS and dont want Mario, Brawl, BWii, Mario Kart, RE: UC, Zack and Wicki then WHY THE FUCK HAVE THEY GOT A WII!!!!! We are getting EVERYTHING we've EVER had as Nintendo fans and MORE!! What the fuck are people moaning about?!?!

Its infuriating to read day after day about pretentious wankers on these forums saying "I'm a hardcore gamer and nintendo only make casual agmes and because I'm, better than people who play Brain training I must praise the amazing games on the 360 - shooter after shooter after shooter" - you are small minded and just plain WRONG!

PS When I say "You" I'm not talking about you Petey :)

Spot on mate.

Its infuriating to read day after day about pretentious wankers on these forums saying "I'm a hardcore gamer and nintendo only make casual agmes and because I'm, better than people who play Brain training I must praise the amazing games on the 360 - shooter after shooter after shooter" - you are small minded and just plain WRONG!

Its not about right or wrong its about opinion and what you class as a traditional videogame. Some people dont want to play games like Brain Training as its not a traditional style of game. I will use my nephews as an example, I have Brain Training on the Wii and I enjoy playing it from time to time as its something different but my nephews ( 9 and 12 years old ) wont touch it as they say its not fun.

I think this is what people are getting at with many of the Wii releases. The Wii has changed how think about what a game really is and some people ( most traditional gamers) are having a hard time adjusting to what a game really is. I admit I am in that group as I would prefer a traditional style game over something like Brain Training but Nintendo is starting to change the market and people need to get it into their head that this so called style of casual game looks like its here to stay.

Aslong as there is a nice mixture between the 2 then I think then it isnt really a problem. Sure the first year of the Wii ( mainly the first 6 months ) has been kind of sucky for alot of people but from now til early next year we have a healthy amount of traditional style games heading our way so everyone should really be happy.

As long as there is a nice mixture between the 2 then I think then it isnt really a problem. Sure the first year of the Wii ( mainly the first 6 months ) has been kind of sucky for alot of people but from now til early next year we have a healthy amount of traditional style games heading our way so everyone should really be happy.

I agree with you about the first year been abit rubbish. I had hardly touched my Wii after I finished Zelda: TP, which was in January. Sure there was the odd game of Wii Sports every now and then and Wario Ware was fun while it lasted. Hell, Paper Mario, a game I downloaded from the VC, is probably the only time I used my Wii to play a "proper" solo game up untill now. So Wii hasn't exactly been great for me personally...

But now I've got Metroid Prime 3 to play, which is an awesome game. Also I still have to start Super Paper Mario and then there's Super Mario Galaxy. Looking forward further there's still Smash Bros. and Mario Kart. Not sure what else I fancy though...

I can understand why people are complaining to an extent but when most people are talking about the Wii not having "hardcore" games, their opinions can get a bit vague . What are people honestly expecting? Games that are marketed at the hardcore, rather than casual gamer + hardcore?

Question should really be: Are gamers having fun with the Wii?

There is a very simple answer to the whole argument in this thread:

The reason there have been more "casual" games than "hardcore" games is because it takes longer to develop a "hardcore" game.

This is the first year of a console, which developers admit they did not take seriously at first. The "hardcore" games are starting to appear alot more now because of the consoles age. "Casual" games do not (usually) have as much depth as a "hardcore" game and will therefore be made alot faster. The same can be said for lower quality games and ports. Thats why the only "hardcore" (god inverted comma's galore here) games so far really have been ports, like Zelda TP and Resi4, and average by average I mean not "AAA" games, though I hate that term too games like Red Steel. Even Super Paper Mario is a mixture of the two, since it started on GC and ended up mediocre at best.

So in summary, Casual / Mediocre = Fast, so we see more of them first year.

Hardcore = Slower, so we are only seeing them appear now, with MP3 being the first.

I can understand why people are complaining to an extent but when most people are talking about the Wii not having "hardcore" games, their opinions can get a bit vague . What are people honestly expecting? Games that are marketed at the hardcore, rather than casual gamer + hardcore?

Question should really be: Are gamers having fun with the Wii?

Well, actually, the question should be:

Will there be some epic games on the Wii?

I mean, sure, there are a lot of unique games on the Wii, but all their fun lies in the innovation. The games are built the same way as old NES games, in the sence that they don't have a story or a campaign that gives them a lasting appeal. The entire longlivety of the game depends on the player, rather than the effort the creators put into it. Sure, Warioware, Raving Rabbids and Wii Sports are all fun games, but to be honest, I'm not going to pay full price to play them, cuz I'm not going to have very much fun with them.

I need a long singleplayer campaign, with tons of stuff to unlock. Zelda:TP is extremely enjoyable to me, since it's so complex. I've spent 50+ hours on it, and currently I'm just running arround Hyrule, trying to find more Poes, heart pieces and bugs, plus that I'm trying fishing (which originally was my LEAST favourite part of the game).

I'm as happy as a madman since Nintendo added the Great Fairy dungeon, it's like the Mercenaries in the RE games.

I think that Nintendo should try to whup Sony and MS's arse on all fronts. They have the innovation, they have the ultimate Action-Rpg, the ultimate scifi Adventure, soon theyll have the ultimate platformer now they should try with the stuff that the others have beaten Ninty in, meaning first person shooters (its obligatory, and back in the day the N64 was the ultimate FPS console), buy and uppgrade stock cars (Sony have GT, MS have Forza, I mean, even Sega had Sega GT on the DC) style racers.

And of course I'm waiting for a new Starfox game to reach the glory of Lylat Wars, an F-zero with better graphics and a better singleplayer campaign than the GC version, and remakes of the old FZX soundtrack. Not to mention Pilotwings, one of my fave games of all time.

The problem is that forumites decide to don their bashing blinkers, ignoring reality so that they can complain. Yes, Nintendo are making games like Wii Fit and Big Brain Academy to tap into the wider market, but that doesn't discount titles like Twilight Princess, Corruption, or Galaxy. Nintendo's production of 'hardcore' games is at least on par with its efforts during the GameCube years, and factoring in the less traditional games as well they are making far more titles.

In other words, the 'hardcore' are being treated the same as they always have yet feels badly done to simply because they are not Nintendo's sole focus. Perhaps instead of complaining they should give the titles they dismiss out of hand a try; a broader horizon always offers a more pleasant view.

I think most people are upset that they have to get off their fat arse and physically play the game. These would probably be the same people who dreamed about virtual reality gaming years ago. I don't care about 'hardcore' games (whatever that means), I just see games as a bit of fun.

I actually welcome the re-emergence of pick up and play titles. Not everyone has the time (or inclination) to battle through a 20 hour quest then spend the rest of their waking hours playing in an online world with their only mates being spotty obese teenage freaks.

Don't get me wrong I love a good quest, but when you have your own place, a job and a bird as well as a social life often you want to just pick up a game and have a blast for 20 minutes. The Wii allows people to do that.

Don't get me wrong I love a good quest, but when you have your own place, a job and a bird as well as a social life often you want to just pick up a game and have a blast for 20 minutes. The Wii allows people to do that.

QFT!

This is exactly my stance on the Wii too Zechs.

I even recently bought Carnival Games and I had no sub-concious problems about review scores, perception of the title and longevity of it.

And I enjoyed it for what it is. I now pick up the wii mote for some saloon shooting/strength testing and basketball throwing mini games when I have some free time.

And the best thing about it isn't the notion of challenge/graphics/sound/epicness...It's about beating my own/others high scores and having social fun whilst doing so. Therein lies the main reason I play/enjoy Wii games that could be deemed "casual". We get this game out at house parties and everyone is laughing and having fun and not saying "looks poor compared to Halo 3". Everyone is just ENJOYING themselves before going back to their lives. It's non-commital fun. Digestable.

I'm not on about a subjective opinion point like what is a hardcore gamer or gamer or how good is Metroid or halo or whatever, I love opinion and encourage it. But what is not opinion is Wii having no hardcore games and some peoples attitude towards the Wii. The Wii DOES have hardcore games and in fact has a lot more than the Cube did at the same stage. But people ignore this and say its just for casuals whih is wrong, thats not an opinion surely!!

I actually welcome the re-emergence of pick up and play titles. Not everyone has the time (or inclination) to battle through a 20 hour quest then spend the rest of their waking hours playing in an online world with their only mates being spotty obese teenage freaks.

Good post. The Wii is a really fun enjoyable console, and although the quantity of quality core titles may seem low, it is really, really worth it. Quests are not what it's all about, quite frankly.

We get new Mario, Zelda and Metroid within the first year. Smash Bros. Brawl seems to fullfill every Nintendo fan's dream. Nuff said.

Thats an unfair assumption. Am i really the only person thats getting a bit burnt out on those same franchises? If so, then the rest of my post can be skipped.

All their originality seems to be invested into casual games and how to market them. Then as if to say 'here ya go, crybaby', they toss out the next Mario/Zelda themed game

I know some of you are thinking, go buy a 360 then, but i did that months ago. I still think Nintendo are potentially capable of amazing, original conventional games, but i question whether theyre even bothered when they can just reach into their bag o' franchises

Thats an unfair assumption. Am i really the only person thats getting a bit burnt out on those same franchises?
No, far from. However, new franchises won't immediately be accepted as killer titles that so many seem to long for.

I agree that the novelty of the Wii should provide is with exciting new franchises, from third parties and from Nintendo especially. The Wii is just a year old however, I am patient. Also, the quality of the new old games is undisputed.

Thats an unfair assumption. Am i really the only person thats getting a bit burnt out on those same franchises? If so, then the rest of my post can be skipped.

All their originality seems to be invested into casual games and how to market them. Then as if to say 'here ya go, crybaby', they toss out the next Mario/Zelda themed game

I know some of you are thinking, go buy a 360 then, but i did that months ago. I still think Nintendo are potentially capable of amazing, original conventional games, but i question whether theyre even bothered when they can just reach into their bag o' franchises

I'm not being funny, but the biggest selling game fo this generation is a new IP and it is a Nintendo game, Wii Sports. It's massive and has caused a gaming revolution.

People need to remember the Wii has had a massive impact alredy far bigger than any other console in this generation, it's already outsold the 360 and it's software is matching the hardware sales, so people aren't just buying a Wii and not buying games.

Yeah cause, you know, Halo is a new franchise and so is PGR. And all the new 360 franchises are incredibly original and revolutionary.

You're missing the point Zechs, Pit wants new 'core' franchises. Nintendo hasn't put out too many of those over the last years... The Wii's novelty sort of requires new ideas in the franchises as well.

Thats really all im trying to say. Thanks for reading! No one including me is gonna argue about their newfound market impact and sales figures, or what Microsoft is doing, but those things arent relevent to what i was talking about.

I see that as unfair though, because although they don't make too many new franchises, they don't ever seem to recycle their old ones. I mean look at Mario Sunshine and Mario Galaxy, same lead character, but what else is the same? The gameplay is entirely different to me, yeah you're still Mario running around, but that's about it.

Metroid Prime 3 shook up the formula of the last two too, it was more to it's roots then Galaxy but it was still a shake up. It seems Nintendo are aware of this anyway as the Prime series has ended, I guess I just see it that although Nintendo stick to the same franchises, they never let them repeat themselves.

The one exception is probably Twilight Princess being like Ocarina of time, but everyone really wanted that for years, so I guess people are never happy :P.

Still, I'd like to see some more new franchises. The third parties have set up quite a few interesting ones already, but Nintendo need to follow suite. Miyamoto said they've got a new one coming in 2008, much in the vein Pikmin was to GameCube, so perhaps it's just a matter of when and not if :P.