PS3 Price Cut... and Wii still sells more

1. DS: 171,260

2. Wii: 70,322

3. PS3: 64,087

4. PS2: 57,152

5. PSP: 54,449

6. 360: 37,303

7. GBA: 2,286

The PS3 has had a major price cut, something SONY said they would NOT do. The Wii however is still outselling the PS3 and is still 'sold out' in many stores. I'm in no doubt that could the stock be found Wii sales would comfortably rise well out of reach of the PS3.

Personally I feel PS3 sales will drop again in the coming weeks.

It's still an eye-opener to see how well the PS2 is still selling. The 360 however has taken a big hit since Halo 3 and sales have slumped below even the PSP.

This generation just gets more interesting...

There's no point comparing ps3 and Wii sales; they're aiming at different people.

Also, how the hell did the 360 sell so bad?!?!?!

There's no point comparing ps3 and 360 sales; they're aiming at different people.

Also, how the hell did the 360 sell so bad?!?!?!

What? I would say the 360 and the PS3 are aiming at the same market, they are both producing the same sort of games and are heavily reliant on 'nxt gen graphics' as a selling point.

I agree with you about 360 sales though. I for one would have thought they would have held up a bit better in the post-Halo 3 weeks.

What? I would say the 360 and the PS3 are aiming at the same market, they are both producing the same sort of games and are heavily reliant on 'nxt gen graphics' as a selling point.

I agree with you about 360 sales though. I for one would have thought they would have held up a bit better in the post-Halo 3 weeks.

Sorry that was a typo. I meant ps3 and Wii sales.

Having owned a PS3 in the past im quite happy that the sales of it have started to pick up as it is a great machine it just lacks the killer games at the moment. Seeing it do well for a change is a nice suprise and considering the price difference between that and the Wii they have done alright for themselves.

Seeing the increase in the PS3 sales just goes to show there are alot of people wanting the machine, they were just waiting for the right price.

Seeing those Wii numbers I cant shake the feeling that we are just seeing the calm before the storm. I really think that this Christmas the Wii is once again going to dominate, especially with the vast amount of titles about to be unleashed in Europe.

Well lets wait and see. Also 400€ is still a bit more than 249€ - what I am more curious is how much more 360 will be sold with the new Arcade pack which is pretty much in the same price range of the Wii.

Right now with 360 and PS3 pricedrop I really hope Nintendo does the same because from a consumer standpoint now the Wii is overpriced when you look at what you get hardware and software wise.

Right now with 360 and PS3 pricedrop I really hope Nintendo does the same because from a consumer standpoint now the Wii is overpriced when you look at what you get hardware and software wise.

I always thought that about the PS2 but it didn't seem to do much harm. :smile:

I'm really gonna be disappointed in gamers if Microsoft pull out of the console business because there haven't been enough sales of the great machine. Wii isn't really anywhere near as close to being as good as it, and doesn't deserve it's #1 spot.

what the hell are they getting it for i have yet to play a good gme on the thing. If it was called anything other than playstation It woulnt sell more than the 3do. It's all in the brand name.

Wii isn't really anywhere near as close to being as good as it, and doesn't deserve it's #1 spot.

Define "good". 20 of X360's TOP-30 highest rated games fall into either driving, FPS or sport games categories. If you don't care about these genres and/or Xbox Live, your choices of good titles are far more limited. And by looking next years release scheducle, it is obvious that same trend continues next year. This is why Xbox 360 isn't selling any faster than Xbox.

I'm really gonna be disappointed in gamers if Microsoft pull out of the console business because there haven't been enough sales of the great machine. Wii isn't really anywhere near as close to being as good as it, and doesn't deserve it's #1 spot.

Technically speaking, the 360 is a poorly manufactured and generally unimpressive machine. Games make a console, and good games can idealistically appear on any console.

I really think Sony are feeling the sting from having an already installed userbase. The PS2 has most markets covered thanks to titles like Singstar,Eyetoy and GTA. Yet Microsoft played a good game and lopped off part of their own arm (XBOX) to stun a competitor. MS forced Sonys hand into next gen. Sony weren't ready to launch the PS3 and it shows. The XBox 360 development environment is easily adaptable (DirectX) and so devs found it easier to switch. With the "sudden" PS3 availability I really think many dev houses were suprised and stunned into developmental hell.

The Wii stepped into the gap and the rest is history. The sales aren't a shock. By sheer luck Nintendo got the timing/innovation rule right. Two big companies got greedy and this is why the industrys current state exists.

Miyamoto's dinosaur reference is ingenious. It seems like good old Japanese astuteness defeated Western-minded megalomania. (Chortle).

Just my two-penneth worth of course :)

Dang it, I meant country. Sorry, I'm busy eating here, typing one handed is difficult...

No problem dude ;)

I don't think it's so much a price drop that will benefit Nintendo, but rather a line-up of so-called "hardcore" games - ie, shooters, drivers, sandbox games.

Manhunt 2, Disaster and No More Heroes ought to fill that void for the near future, but we're in dire need of more M-support from the big third parties (ie, Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed, Epic's UT, Bioware's Mass Effect, etc).

Why is the fact Wiis are selling so greatly such a good thing? Ofcourse, sells are sells and something that sells means profit for Nintendo...Good. But WHY are so many Wiis selling, I think is the question. Then compare Wii sells with Wii software sells and we see a pattern...Wii sales is based on waggle games plus hype. I see absolutely no reason why the Wii should be selling so well now, before the launch of Galaxy. What game can you recommend a non-Wii owner to go and buy a Wii for?

Why is the fact Wiis are selling so greatly such a good thing? Ofcourse, sells are sells and something that sells means profit for Nintendo...Good. But WHY are so many Wiis selling, I think is the question. Then compare Wii sells with Wii software sells and we see a pattern...Wii sales is based on waggle games plus hype. I see absolutely no reason why the Wii should be selling so well now, before the launch of Galaxy. What game can you recommend a non-Wii owner to go and buy a Wii for?

It is just selling well because of Wii Sports. Nintendo doing well off casual games means they will make more of them. I find it unlikely that their financial success will benefit us traditional gamers all that much - still probably 1 main Mario game every few years etc. Hopefully some games like Tales of Symphonia but for this generation will come along.

It is just selling well because of Wii Sports. Nintendo doing well off casual games means they will make more of them. I find it unlikely that their financial success will benefit us traditional gamers all that much - still probably 1 main Mario game every few years etc. Hopefully some games like Tales of Symphonia but for this generation will come along.

Exactly, that was what I was alluding to. Already this year alone we have seen more attention on the 'casual' party stuff. People will counter that by saying these games had to show what the Wii remote can do, but we already got the jist of what it could do with the FREE game we get with the freaking machine!

This new market Nintendo has uncovered will mean they will have to share focus to that market to retain software sales, so unless Nintendo does something like beef up their teams or bribe 3rd parties the traditional gamer may see less enthesis on what they want.

Zelda, Excite Truck, Sonic, Mario Strikers, Metroid Prime 3 (after this friday :P), Trauma Center, Scarface, Godfather,Wario Ware and some more. Seems good enough to me. I'd buy more for the Wii than I would for 360. Of course it all depends on taste.

Exactly, that was what I was alluding to. Already this year alone we have seen more attention on the 'casual' party stuff. People will counter that by saying these games had to show what the Wii remote can do, but we already got the jist of what it could do with the FREE game we get with the freaking machine!

This new market Nintendo has uncovered will mean they will have to share focus to that market to retain software sales, so unless Nintendo does something like beef up their teams or bribe 3rd parties the traditional gamer may see less enthesis on what they want.

Wii sports, Wii Play, Zelda, Mario Party 8, WW:Smooth Moves, Super Paper Mario, Rayman and Red Steel: at least these already broke the 1 million barrier. You can't say Wii is selling because of Wii sports. And in Japan Wii doesn't come with Wii sports.

I just don't understand why you keep complaining about "OMG I want hardcore games" when we have and will get stuff like Zelda, Trauma Center, Red Steel, MP3, MoH2, Zack & Wiki, Super Paper Mario, Fire Emblem, Soul Calibur Legends, ToS:KoR, Mario, that one from Vanillaware, Bwii, etc. The definition of casual games changed with Wii and DS that's for sure: before casual games were sport games and shooters, because that was what the masses bought mindlessly, and every "hardcore gamer" complain. Now those games are hardcore and we have non-games or party games to complain about. Remember Eye Toy and Singstar? Not to mention 1000 gazillion shovelware titles. Did the PS2 get any less good games because of that? No. If anything it got more, because it EXPANDED the audience which owned the console, which means more developers interested in developing for a console.

That's how good sales translate for gamers, you can't just say "Pff I don't care, I'm not the one getting the money.", because if consoles don't sell, very little 3rd parties will put effort in their games.

EDIT: I understand what you're thinking though, non-games sell well, this means more non-games for Wii: that's truth and you'll have to deal with it, but seeing that "normal" games are still being developed I don't see any cause for alarm. The game industry has more than enough room to grow. You'll see more and more non-games and party games on every console from now on, even if they are DLC, it's just the way the industry's going.

I really think Sony are feeling the sting from having an already installed userbase. The PS2 has most markets covered thanks to titles like Singstar,Eyetoy and GTA. Yet Microsoft played a good game and lopped off part of their own arm (XBOX) to stun a competitor. MS forced Sonys hand into next gen. Sony weren't ready to launch the PS3 and it shows. The XBox 360 development environment is easily adaptable (DirectX) and so devs found it easier to switch. With the "sudden" PS3 availability I really think many dev houses were suprised and stunned into developmental hell.

The Wii stepped into the gap and the rest is history. The sales aren't a shock. By sheer luck Nintendo got the timing/innovation rule right. Two big companies got greedy and this is why the industrys current state exists.

Miyamoto's dinosaur reference is ingenious. It seems like good old Japanese astuteness defeated Western-minded megalomania. (Chortle).

Just my two-penneth worth of course :)

Very good post.

As for the old software arguments. What games are more 'hardcore' than Zelda and Metroid?

What games are more 'M' rated than Scarface, Th Godfather and Manhunt 2?

What will be a bigger Christmas hit than Mario Galaxy?

Why is there all this nonsense about a lack of software sales? We've already seen Zelda sell around 4 million copies worldwide. Super Paper Mario has already sold over a million copies.

Define "good". 20 of X360's TOP-30 highest rated games fall into either driving, FPS or sport games categories. If you don't care about these genres and/or Xbox Live, your choices of good titles are far more limited. And by looking next years release scheducle, it is obvious that same trend continues next year. This is why Xbox 360 isn't selling any faster than Xbox.

The 360 has better driving games, shooters, beat 'em ups, RPGs, sports games, and it's going to have amazing platformers when Rare get their asses in gear too. It also has a FAAAAAAAR better online service, plays DVDs, achievements, has a far better menu than the Wii. God, everything is just so much better on the 360. The only thing the Wii has over the 360 is the new way to play games. I personally love the Wiimote, but that's it.

I'm seriously getting bored of all these sale-figure threads, one is enough.

PS3 isn't sell well Blah Blah Blah, PS3 isn't good Blah Blah Blah, PS3 hasn't got this... that.... oh... It's the same crap each time.

Saying that, i'm incredibly pleased being a Nintendo fan that the Wii is still doing well, but i'm also impressed with my PS3 and hopefully sales will keep rising for that!

Right so

PS3 Sells bad = You laugh at it.

PS3 Sells good = You laugh at it.

I mean yeah it should've sold like that or close to it from the start, but it's been a pretty damn poor start, props for getting some sales for once.

Sign in to follow this