NEurope
Retro_Link

The Movie News Thread!

What annoys me most is the fact that I read a quote from the author were she said she has never read a book about vampires and dosen´t intend to.

Which is just your run of the mill nerd rage on my behalf

But, but...it has that sexual girl in. And..and...the trailer has a cool voice over...it's going to be oscar worthy! :p

It'll be shit, but it'll probably be an hour and a half worths of fun shit nonetheless.

EDIT: I just read about the author. She's a mormon, who has never had alcohol and never seen an R-rated movie (as mentioned earlier). Oh great, she's a Mormon. Please tell me the entire movie doesn't revolve around no sex before marriage, and "good old" romance? I thought it would at least be a litte bit..sexy. Also, you always see some form of Homo-eroticism with Vampires, but I'm guessing any hint of that will not be in the books.

Also, fuck Mormons. (Prop 8 - They caused it to pass)

Anyway! I'll be seeing it, but now I'm worried.

That also.

It´s strange how the image of Vampires has distorted since Stoker´s Dracula.

Having read that the last summer and in comparison to what Vampire fiction is today it´s like figuring out you´ve been drinking Sprite Zero out of a Coke can.

THIS MAKES ME SOOOOOOOOOOOOO MAD!! :angry: :angry:

Aceventurajrtp.jpg

Plot Summary:

Allrighty-then. After his African adventure in "Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls," Ace returned to Florida, married girlfriend Melissa (Ann Cusack) and became the doting father of a baby boy. Never one to sit still, Ace's curious nature took him on another remote case. The goofball gumshoe was never to be seen or heard from again.

Single mom Melissa couldn't fully put the past behind her. Now a zookeeper, she and Ace Jr. (Flitter) have made a life carrying on without her husband. Much to Melissa's chagrin, however, 12-year-old Ace Jr. has begun to follow in his father's comic footsteps. He has recently become a pet detective for the 7th grade set, often trying to recover classmates' missing pets, and always with big mishaps.

But when a master animal thief abducts a baby panda and his mom is wrongly arrested of the crime, Ace Jr. must jump into action. Now, with the help of pals Laura and tech wizard A-Plus, young Ace must bring the thief to justice and do his inane and lovable dad's memory justice

No Jim Carrey this is an outrage :angry: :angry:

EDIT: Here is the kid playing Ace Jr.

acejr3dk6.jpg

Worst movie ever I belive so.

Update via Wikipedia: This film is now going Direct to DVD rather than being released in cinemas.

I think that says it all about the quality of this sequel.

And, from what I can recall, Stoker's was distorted from literary vampires prior to it.

Postmodernism?

And, from what I can recall, Stoker's was distorted from literary vampires prior to it.

Postmodernism?

I´d wouldn´t be surprised by that but it went to be the most popular definition of what a Vampire is up until 1990´s

So yeah I´d say postmodernism too

Update via Wikipedia: This film is now going Direct to DVD rather than being released in cinemas.

I think that says it all about the quality of this sequel.

I know, they should just cancel it alltogether :shakehead

Postmodernism?

vampires predate even writting in some sense.

cave painting exist which depict the drinking of human blood. its not always possible to interperate exactly when belifes went with these images, but it at least points to an eternal fascination with blood, and the idea of drinking it.

the depiction of vampires in 30 days of night is apparently a little closer to what vampires were seen as pre-stolker.

ironicaly enough for the mormon writter, its though that vamirism in the stolker sense was a metiphone for siphilis and STI's, from which stolker was know to suffer.

Twilight opens huge in America - the biggest opening for a female director ever.

Twilight took a giant bite out of the North American box office over the weekend, selling an estimated $70.6 million in tickets and proving that a wholesome love story can still turn out a huge young-adult audience.

Twilight, directed by Catherine Hardwicke, instantly joined one of the most exclusive clubs in Hollywood: movies that earn a profit within their first three days of domestic release. The film cost $37 million to produce and an estimated $30 million to market. And there is money still left to be counted. International ticket sales look promising — Ms. Meyer’s books have sold 17 million copies worldwide — and expectations for the DVD are huge.

Twilight trampled the competition, most notably Bolt, an expensive animated film from the Walt Disney Company. That movie, featuring the voices of John Travolta and Miley Cyrus and overseen by the Pixar co-founder John Lasseter, sold a disappointing $27 million in tickets.

Wonder why they bring up the director's gender. A dog could have directed it and the pre-pubescents would have still flocked to it in droves.

I´d wouldn´t be surprised by that but it went to be the most popular definition of what a Vampire is up until 1990´s

So yeah I´d say postmodernism too

What is this postmodern malarky? I don't understand to what extent the term is being applied to vampire representation here.

Postmodern; nothing is new. Everything has been done. And as such any representation is merely a re-presentation thus while one representation may be un-Stokerish it is still a representation of a previous model.

Buffy finally coming to the big screen? OMFG PLEASE SAY THIS IS TRUE!

Joss Whedon is planning to resurrect Buffy The Vampire Slayer on the big screen, an Australian newspaper has claimed.

The success of vampire film Twilight has led the writer to consider bringing the franchise to cinemas, reports the Herald-Sun.

Whedon is said to have a script based on the TV show ready to start production as soon as he is given the green light.

The Buffy character first appeared in 1992 movie Buffy The Vampire Slayer, starring Kristy Swanson.

Whedon then adapted the story for the small screen in 1997, with Sarah Michelle Gellar in the title role.

Every vampire movie that are and will be are crushed in comparison to Let The Right One In.

So nyeh!

But then again I thought Buffy was alright and would probably see it.

Sarah Michelle Gellar is still pretty much against it (and despite the movies being mediocre she does have a fair few projects going on). Alyson Hannigan is with HIMYM (and up the duff), David Boreanaz is on Bones (and I get the feeling he wouldn't be too fond of returning either), James Marsters is looking his age. Oh and Joss Whedon is doing about 12 comic books, four movies and a television show.

Wishful thinking

Yeah we do keep hearing about this every now and again so I dont hold out much hope. Plus it would mean linking it up with the season 8 comics.

Movie? TV Show? Visual Orgams? Who knows. But one thing that is known is Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog comes out on DVD in America 19th December. No idea about region coding but like hell Amazon'll get it over here in time (for xmas obviously).

Movie? TV Show? Visual Orgams? Who knows. But one thing that is known is Doctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog comes out on DVD in America 19th December.

Yay! Finally!

A Buffy film would be sweet, but it doesn't look likely from what Ashley said. Ah well, we can dream.

Empire Online: 100 Greatest Movie Characters

1 - 10

1. Tyler Durden

2. Darth Vader

3. Ledger as The Joker

4. Han Solo

5. Lecter

6. Indiana Jones

7. The Dude

8. Jack Sparrow

9. Ellen Ripley

10. Vito Corleone

A Buffy film would be sweet, but it doesn't look likely from what Ashley said. Ah well, we can dream.

a buffy film came out in the early 90's. :p

a buffy film came out in the early 90's. :p

Which is where the show came from if I'm not mistaken.

It's been 15 years since Axel Foley was last in Beverly Hills, and screenwriters Michael Brandt and Derek Haas needed a good reason to bring him back. That reason comes just a couple of pages into the latest script for Beverly Hills Cop IV (which calls itself Beverly Hills Cop 2009) - Judge Reinhold's Billy Rosewood takes a leap out the 20th story of the Los Angeles Police HQ. When Axel hears that his former partner and best buddy became sidewalk salad he knows it wasn't a suicide and he flies to Beverly Hills to get all the facts for himself.

I thought that Beverly Hills Cop 2009 would be a Bad Boys II style movie with all endless car chases and explosions. Brandt and Haas keep it all old school for the most part though, with a small shoot out and chase in the opening and then no more action for like 50 pages until Axel gets into a small fistfight with some East LA gangbangers. Unfortunately, a lot of the shit in the middle is way boring. The whole problem with another Beverly Hills Cop movie is that the basic idea that Axel Foley is this rough and tumble Detroit cop who is a fish out water in upscale Beverly Hills is played out. He's done a lot of time in Beverly Hills. In this movie they mention that they teach his cases at the police academy and that a restaurant had an Axel Foley sandwich on the menu! (It's been renamed the Timbaland) Axel Foley knows his way around LA better than his new partner on the case who was born there.

That new partner is Goodwin, a fat rookie with low self-esteem who has a crush on a lady cop in the facial recognition department. When he's not solving the mystery of who tossed Billy out the window, Axel is playing matchmaker with these two. He's also teaching Goodwin how to be a better cop. It's like the Axel Foley Finishing School.

Along with Goodwin, Axel teams up with a limo driver named Elliot, who is the wise cracking comic relief. You wouldn't think you would need comic relief in an Eddie Murphy movie, but Axel Foley has no funny lines. I don't know if Brandt and Haas wrote the character unfunny to give Eddie room to ad lib or if they just think having him drop f-bombs every third line is the height of laughs, but Axel Foley is pretty much a Terminator in this movie. He just keeps moving forward no matter what like a shark in the water trying to find out who killed Billy.

It turns out that Billy was learning about a group of corrupt LAPD officers who were involved with gun running with a Beverly Hills rich kid who has ties to the military. The mystery isn't that big a deal, and Axel mostly gets from place to place by half-assedly conning people. He makes up a fake story about who he is and then doesn't follow through on it. It's like Brandt and Haas saw the first BHC and just didn't have the energy to write anything that matched up to it.

The really weird thing is that Axel Foley just isn't a character in this movie. In the opening he's followed a suspect into Canada and is illegally extraditing him, and from there he never takes a breather to be anything but a supercop. It's almost like the writers took an Arnold Schwarzenneger script they had lying around and changed the details to make it a Beverly Hills Cop movie. There's no fun in it.

The basic story of Beverly Hills Cop 2009 isn't terrible. It's a pretty standard police corruption story that has a personal edge for Axel Foley, and Brandt and Haas make it feel like an 80s action film by keeping the action more grounded, even though the final fight does include RPGs. But there's no fun in the movie and it feels like it needs another draft to make the film an Axel Foley adventure and not a generic cop getting revenge picture.