N-Europe

Super/Street Fighter IV

Dante

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ugh, someone please tell me that theres an option to switch off the fight commentator, who they apparently lifted straight out of Wave Race

You can Pit-Jr but the options settings are that the commentator talks at the start and end of the fight or all the way in the fight!

Guilty Gear Creators Discuss Rivals, Reveal Franchise Fate

Talking to Gamasutra in a rare Western interview, Guilty Gear creators Arc System Works have criticized Street Fighter IV for its lack of accessibility, while apparently revealing that Sega now essentially owns the Guilty Gear franchise.

The Yokohama, Japan-based developer Arc System Works, which has been in existence for more than ten years, was formed by SNK veterans such as chief Guilty Gear designer Daisuke Ishiwatari.

The company's designer for its new hi-res 2D fighting title BlazBlue, Toshimichi Mori, intriguingly discusses his views of Capcom's Street Fighter IV and its accessibility in the interview:

"I'm not trying to pick a fight with Capcom or anything, but with Street Fighter IV, they made a big deal about how the game was designed to be accessible to people new to the genre.

I remember when I first read that in an interview, I was like, "What? How can they say that?!" I thought maybe I was seeing things. I think they need to take a second look at the list of moves for that game before they make a claim like that.

Sure, people like us who work with games, or fans of fighting games can do a hadouken or a shoryuken without thinking much about it, but for somebody just getting started? Those moves are pretty tough! You can't expect new players to just whip those moves out every time.

To fill your game with moves like that and then emphasize how simple it was for beginners to pick up seemed irresponsible to me. Street Fighter IV is not a game geared toward people who've never played fighters before. If they were really interested in making a beginner-friendly game, they should've made included a few impressive moves a player could do with the press of a button."

The company's Ishiwatari also confirmed Internet reports that, although Arc System Works created the Guilty Gear franchise, publisher Sega officially owns it -- and in fact, Arc is no longer working directly on updates for the fighting game series. Ishiwatari notes in passing that "...we were involved directly with the series up through Guilty Gear XX #Reload".

However, the company is not completely divorced from the franchise it created. A recent Arc System Works-developed title, the Dynasty Warriors-style Guilty Gear 2: Overture, was set within the franchise -- but didn't feature many of the series' famous characters.

Indeed, Ishiwatari told Gamasutra about rumors that Sega now owned the franchise's IP: "I can't really talk about it much... except to say that they're basically true."

Thus, Arc System Works has now moved on to create new fighting game franchises such as Battle Fantasia and BlazBlue, and the full Gamasutra interview with the developer includes lots more detail on those and design challenges for today's fighting game.

You can Pit-Jr but the options settings are that the commentator talks at the start and end of the fight or all the way in the fight!

Guilty Gear Creators Discuss Rivals, Reveal Franchise Fate

The company's Ishiwatari also confirmed Internet reports that, although Arc System Works created the Guilty Gear franchise, publisher Sega officially owns it -- and in fact, Arc is no longer working directly on updates for the fighting game series. Ishiwatari notes in passing that "...we were involved directly with the series up through Guilty Gear XX #Reload".

However, the company is not completely divorced from the franchise it created. A recent Arc System Works-developed title, the Dynasty Warriors-style Guilty Gear 2: Overture, was set within the franchise -- but didn't feature many of the series' famous characters.

Indeed, Ishiwatari told Gamasutra about rumors that Sega now owned the franchise's IP: "I can't really talk about it much... except to say that they're basically true."

Thus, Arc System Works has now moved on to create new fighting game franchises such as Battle Fantasia and BlazBlue, and the full Gamasutra interview with the developer includes lots more detail on those and design challenges for today's fighting game.

Did anyone else feel like shouting 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' when they read this. Oh I hate/dislike (not sure really) SEGA even more now! Bunch of thieving, shadow of their former self bums.

So my flatmate has gotten me hyped up for this. He's got the SF Anniversary Collection for original Xbox and we've been playing it like mad the past couple of days on his 360 (3rd strike baby!). Been looking at the videos for this and stuff and it looks amazing. Can't wait to see how it plays.

Dunno if I'll be dropping big money on a controller, though..but it'd make it so much better to play. Bah! Decisions decisions!

So my flatmate has gotten me hyped up for this. He's got the SF Anniversary Collection for original Xbox and we've been playing it like mad the past couple of days on his 360 (3rd strike baby!). Been looking at the videos for this and stuff and it looks amazing. Can't wait to see how it plays.

Dunno if I'll be dropping big money on a controller, though..but it'd make it so much better to play. Bah! Decisions decisions!

I have been wanting to buy this but the dpad on the controller scares me...

Did anyone else feel like shouting 'NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!' when they read this. Oh I hate/dislike (not sure really) SEGA even more now! Bunch of thieving, shadow of their former self bums.

SEGA are a nice enough publisher, don't forget. They're far more interesting in that role than as an in house developer. Also, just because a company owns an IP, doesn't mean they're developing it. For all we know, they could contract the original studio in on the next installment.

SEGA are a nice enough publisher, don't forget. They're far more interesting in that role than as an in house developer. Also, just because a company owns an IP, doesn't mean they're developing it. For all we know, they could contract the original studio in on the next installment.

It feels to me though like Arc Studios wont be touching guilty gear again. Also, publishing wise, they are fine yes, but they have messed around with some of my fave companies like smilebit, and then they have shat all over sonic imo.

Remember what Sega did with the F-Zero franchise.. turned it to frikkin' gold.

Remember what Sega did with the F-Zero franchise.. turned it to frikkin' gold.

That was like ages ago. Look at the crap that has been released since then. And Nintendo heads like Shigeru Miyamoto had leading roles in F-Zero GX's development. Also Smilebit is no more since they absorbed them. I dont expect any great things to come from their in house developers. Publish, yes, in house, no.

Had such an awesome day playing this! I was supposed to be doing killzone but SFIV is just too damn addictive. We made a bit of a ruckus in the office and got told off, whoops. But it was worth it.

I'm liking C. Viper. She has some good moves and i was getting pretty good with her. Also got to grips with Ken a bit better. Disappointed with Chunners, but i'm determined to get better with her.

The final boss is a right bastard though. He was cause for alot of commotion today!

Preordered the special edition copy of this game today, can't WAIT to get my hands on it. It's gonna be so sweeeet! Gonna order me one of those SFIV controllers too :)

I did that, but then I could not justify to myself spending so much money when all I really wanted was the game so I canceled the order and just pre-ordered the vanilla copy. Will get the movie sometime aftewards. Sigh, I can be no fun when it comes to money.

Where's the cheapest place to get hold of the controllers/sticks? The cheapest I've found the game for is £27.99 at Play.com, but I want to get one or two controllers or arcade sticks to go with it - not necessarily the SF4 ones mind.