NEurope
Hero-of-Time

Post Your Metroid Moments

With the release of Metroid Prime 3 next week here at N-E we want to hear about your top 2 Metroid Moments. They can come from any of the games in the series whether it was the original on the NES or Fusion on the GBA.

Heres what to do. Just write down your top 2 moments and what Metroid game they are from. Dont comment or discuss other peoples choice, just post your 2 and then your done. We will pick the best ones out of the group and then hopefully post a feature on the front page of N-E.

Everyone can remember their first real moment of magic in a Metroid game.

For me, it was stepping foot on Phendrana Drifts. I remember my jaw dropping to the floor in utter astoundment. The snow effects, only rivaled by the newly released Project Gotham Racing 4 were breath taking. That, coupled with the calm music made it one of the most amazing Metroid moments.

Metroid Prime was my first Metroid game. The very first room on Talon IV was utterly astounding. The amount of detail was perfect...the rain splattering on the visor was the icing on the cake.

One of my most favourite moments has to be the Thardus boss fight. A pile of rocks in a large room come alive. It looked great and the fight was a lot of fun.

In Metroid Prime, venturing into a mountainside facility and seeing a lithe alien Pirate bounding off the walls of the corridor towards you, like something straight out of a James Cameron sci-fi. Finally, enemies that truly intimidated you before allowing you to get to grips with them.

The other one was re-visiting the space frigate from the games magnificent opener, and discovering a blasted, water-filled wreck, fish idling in pools and around computer screens.

The bit in prime 1 where you have to go down this faicility with caged metroids in glass everywhere. You get to the bottom and I think you either get the x ray visor or heat visor or something like that or you already have it. Anyway all of a sudden BOOM! Lights go out glass smashes theres several metroids heading your way in the pitch black. Again repeat

Metroids pitch black....

You have to slap on one of your visors and fight for your life terryfying and classic.

Hmm second moment so many to choose from I will add something later if anything really really amazing pops into mind rather than just amazing like im thinking of now.

Needless to say great games.

Oh wait I have it those badass ghosts in Prime 1 you have to fight for some reason I loved them so much thought they were great design. I also like those elite things in prime 2 the dark gaurds kinda thing with tenticals.

The bit in prime 1 where you have to go down this faicility with caged metroids in glass everywhere. You get to the bottom and I think you either get the x ray visor or heat visor or something like that or you already have it. Anyway all of a sudden BOOM! Lights go out glass smashes theres several metroids heading your way in the pitch black. Again repeat

Metroids pitch black....

You have to slap on one of your visors and fight for your life terryfying and classic.

That was fantastic. It was the thermal visor, and the lights go out when you get it. It was an awesome way to introduce an item - putting you in a fight where you have to use it straight away.

Number one moment for me has to be the

on the SNES, an absolute classic.

I'll never forget the feeling of isolation when you enter the space station and then discover the bodies in the lab, the atmosphere it generated was fantastic. Then having to escape when the place was going to self destruct, everything about it was awesome, the music, the way the environment moved, the sheer sense of panic. Completely breath-taking.

Second would probably be the battle against Meta Ridley in Prime 1, purely because it brought back memories from my first choice. :love:

I guess one of my favourite moments in the Metroid series comes from Fusion. There were sections in Fusion where you either had to hide or run from Samus X, and I am not kidding you when I tell you I have never sweated more in my life. Those parts of the game were so tense it was unreal. The sheer feeling of fear, knowing that this thing was faster and more powerful than you, and give it one chance and it will destroy you. Metroid has always been known for its atmosphere, and this is a great example.

I always have to say the end of the original Metroid. Instant death coming from every direction, no where to go, low ammo, and a giant brain to blow the crap out of. Brilliant, only to be followed by one of the greatest ending in videogame history, the escape. Again, the atmosphere was what it was all about.

I would of referenced Prime but 1-everyone has already mentioned, and I thought the other games deserved a shout and 2-I thought Prime as a whole was great, as opposed to individdual parts.

My two moments are from Metroid Prime, there are way too many moments to choose from in that amazing game but I'll just pick two.

1: The first journey through the Chozo Ruins. Seeing how that place had deteriorated in time makes you feel even more isolated and alone. The atmosphere was really good, and all the stuff to scan there, if you choose to, fleshes out the history of the place and how it came to be like that. I really liked how they handled the story in this game, with you putting all bits and pieces together. And as this was my first Metroid game I was in awe at the huge environment to explore, with hidden nooks and crannies everywhere containing valuable upgrades.

2: The fight against Meta-Ridley. The first time through it was one of the most intense boss battles I ever fought. At first it was going well, but in the last part when he only had a sliver of health left he started charging at me like mad. I barely managed to survive and make the finishing blow. I came out of that fight with just barely 10 health left, but you feel really strong for beating him. You just notice that you've become a lot more powerful since the last time you saw him, slowly gliding over the entrance of Phendrana Drifts, which was a great moment as well.

Getting the speed booster in Super Metroid and watching Samus incinerate the environment with it. Its a shame they havent found a way to implement it in 3D, best item ever.

Also Corruption-related

When Skytown awakens, like a slumbering dragon, and mobilizes over the Leviathan Seed , in a last ditch attempt to destroy its shield. The whole sequence is urgent, surreal, and brilliant

Just controlling Samus for the first time on Prime 1 in the space station.

Nice thread and some good memories here!

I want to pick a moment from Fusion cos its my favourite Metroid game. I think I'll go with what Lazyboy says about the sections when SA-X was on the hunt for you. It was really tense when you were in a darkened corridor and you heard the footsteps! There was no way you could engage in a fight because you would only get slaughtered so you had to find somewhere to hide as quickly as possible until the SA-X passed by...

Metroid Prime, I want to say the opening part on the Space Station and I wanna say Phendrana and I wanna say Thardus... but they've been covered. Another great moment in that game was when you reach the place with all the totem poles, you know where I mean? I thought it was a nice area, tranquil and steeped in the Chozo history that I was trying to learn about on Tallon IV.

(I'm sure someone who really loves Metroid could describe those sections better than me! :heh:)

1- Metroid Zero Mission - When I finally defeated mother brain.

3- Metroid Fusion - The first SAX encounter.

I think it must be Phendrana Drifts for me.. I have always been partial to a bit of snow in my games. Freezeezy Peak in Banjo Kazooie.. The snowy levels in Donkey Kong Country.. heck, even the snow in V-Rally 99 Edition for the N64 was cool for me. I just love it in games :smile: But even so, walking into Phendrana drifts just looked beautiful the first time I saw it!

Ah... Metroid the king of memorable moments.

You know, I really want to give you many moments, but I'm restricted to two.

First, a memorable fight I've already described in the Metroid Prime Thread in the Gamecube section:

Basically, I was in the Phazon Mines, in room with two floors. I entered in the lower floor and saw several Power Troopers pointing their guns at me. I quickly crossed the room to the boxes that lead to the upper floor. When I climbed them, I could still see the pirates waving their guns at me trying to get clear shot at me while I was hiding in a wall.

Then, I turn around and see two Wave Troopers about to attack me. I changed to the Wave cannon while trying to avoid the physical blows (I got hit a few times). Then, I charge the gun and release the Wave buster, killing them quickly.

However, one them landed in an apparently decorative glass near the floor. It turns out it wasn't decorative, as the Wave corpse broke it. The moment it did. The Power Troopers turned their heads as if they heard it, and saw me, hitting me in my hiding spot, nearly killing me before I thought of a second plan

It was memorable for several reasons:

-It showed the Troopers had a competent and beievable A.I.;

-It showed that what I thought was a background scene actually behaved unexpectedly and realistically;

-Tested my reflexes and quick thinking against a few grunts. In real life, a few grunts from a big organization would actually be dangerous and we don't see much of it in videogames.

Second, the Meta-Ridley fight. Just for the atmosphere.

I searched the whole planet for those artifacts, only with the clues given to me.

When I finally found them all, I proceed to the temple. I'm very curious to see what's inside the crater, and when the passage is about to open...

Cue in the Ridley factor, the guy I completely forgot about. And the bastard destroys the main totem, then proceed to fight me while destroying the other totems.

He completely threw my artifact search out the window. I don't think I ever wanted to kill a boss as bad as I wanted to kill this guy.

Add the cliff, rain, music and final blow and you truly have one of the greatest atmospheres in a boss fight ever.

Honorable mentions (no particular order):

-Super Metroid space station sequence;

-The hatchling in Metroid II helping you escape at the end;

-The dead guy by Kraid's lair. Nice touch;

-Exploring the sunken frigate in Metroid Prime, all the while remembering the rooms you visited in the beginning of the game;

-The space station in Metroid Prime;

-Landing on Tallon IV for the first time;

-Reading the soldiers logs in Metroid Prime 2;

-Phendrana Drifts;

-The high tension felt in the Phazon Mines. That place was hell (in an exciting way);

-The sunken frigate in Super Metroid;

-Any boss fight in Super Metroid or Metroid Prime 2;

-SA-X appearances in Metroid Fusion. They had more tension than the Phazon mines.

I think that's it. I definately exaggerated.

For me in any metroid game its where you get to the point where you feel you are untouchable. You've got bags of energy. You've got more than enough missles. Any enemy that comes near you is a fool to challenge you.

As for an actual moment I pick the Omega Pirate fight in Prime. When that Phazon filled Behemoth, defeated in battle. Crushes you almost in a drastic final attempt to win. Only to empower you with a brand new slick looking suit. Black is the new purple... Shame about that orange Phazon stuff though.

When I was little, playing Super Metroid for the first time...

I shit myself when the countdown begins and it starts blowing up, I couldn't get up the platforms fast enough, I was so scared!

I guess one of my favourite moments in the Metroid series comes from Fusion. There were sections in Fusion where you either had to hide or run from Samus X, and I am not kidding you when I tell you I have never sweated more in my life. Those parts of the game were so tense it was unreal. The sheer feeling of fear, knowing that this thing was faster and more powerful than you, and give it one chance and it will destroy you. Metroid has always been known for its atmosphere, and this is a great example.
Yeah, those are my ultimate Metroid moments too. Fusion was such an intense game!

I have two favourite Metroid Moments.

1) The Super Metroid Starting, makes me want to play the game every time i see it.

2) First encounter with Kraid in Super Metroid.

I played the orginal Metroid on my NES, but it was Super Metroid that got me hooked on the franchise.

1) The moment I saw the gigantic metroid near the Super Metroid ending, right before the fight with motherbrain.

2) OMEGA PIRATE! Witnessing it for the first time in that tube thing while I peed my pants realising I would have to fight that, then turning back to save and get my health back to maximum before fighting it but... the door was locked down. UH OH!!

Easy. Both from Metroid Prime.

The first Pirate encounter. The music became fast paced, the adrenalin struck you and the pirates were so beautifully ugly.

The second is Phendrana Drifts. Amazing. You shot the ice with missiles and... oh, its just great.

"The Last Metroid Is In Captivity. The Galaxy Is At Peace"

The start of Super Metroid and hearing this for the first time in an age where voice samples were few and far between gave me shivers.

The final battle with Mother Brain. From the point she first goes down and surprises you by coming back bigger and badder than ever, all the way to having a few points of health left and being saved in the dying moments by the last metroid, classic stuff.

The "Mission Complete" Screen in MP3. I don't want to spoil more though.

The flashback in Zero Mission, where she sees her childhood again for a moment. I always was interested in Samus' past so this was quite special.

(close: getting out of her Ship in Prime for the first time and taking off the helmet at the end of the game)