NEurope
Dyson

The Work/Job/Career Thread

Well seeing as we don't have a MPotD anymore, I realised I had nowhere to post about my news today and figured we may as well have a thread on it.

So basically how's your career? Are you looking for help on something or hoping to get a new job? General working piss you off? Come here.

So yeah, the reason I started this thread is because FINALLY, 3 weeks after they said they would, Tesco's called me to ask me to come in tomorrow for a work sample, which apparantly is an acceptance from them. I can't wait!

Only problem is, I don't have a decent shirt for tomorrow and it's directly after college, so I have no time to get one, as my formal work shirt has a huge yellow stain on it from a sweet wrapper. I dunno what to do really.

Wear a nice casual polo shirt - plain colour [ navy or dark green]

Can't go wrong with casual polo's.

Long story short, i work in a call centre for district nurses in northern ireland. The only reason i stay in my job is due to the relatively good pay of £12,500 p.a (£6.43 an hour) when all other jobs are paying min wage.

I study at night too, so i suppose that would suggest i want to move on to bigger and greater things...maybe.

I did work in a company keying in club card data into Tescos database, but it was only for two weeks and I couldn't continue since they wouldn't take on part time staff (I started Uni).

Atm, I'm jobless, but am going to volunteer at a farm sanctuary.

I work in a newsagents for minimum wage, during the half term I'm going job hunting :D

I have a number to call powergen directly for a phone interview, but I'm going to do it tommorrow when I have most of the day off from college :D

Good luck at Tescos Dyson :)

This is why I'm glad that crap hat of a thread has gone. Now we're getting some decent threads.

So my job is basically pulling my back everyday to shift around pieces of crap furniture. But, the pay is alright and it's only until I get off to university. Once I'm at uni I should be doing 3D design and animation for games. Hopefully, if they accept me.

i haven't had a job in a while, there was this one time but it wasn't really a job, it was more like a place i could sit and post on forums all day from 8:00 untill 4:00. £70 a week sucked though, even though all i was doing was posting on forums.

I work at the local fish factory. Most of the time I put stickers on boxes and then put x number of fish in it depending on the fish. It is a lot more work than it sounds. I have to do it very fast. And if something happens, like when the machine put the sticker on the wrong place on the fish and I have to correct it, I might suddenly have more fish than I have made boxes for. Sometimes, if there is no need to make more of the fish I deal with, I help completing orders. I earn about £1500 a month(10 per hour, the factory's minium wage) which very good since I still live at home. I only pay about £160 a month to my father and that includes food everything else.

I have a job, but its not a career.

Game. There was brief but major dramatics there today too.

Its okay. I like power, and being looked up to. So it fills that. Keeps money in my pocket too. Either going to stick with it until next academic year and live on inheritance money for the 3rd year and focus on my dissertation. Or the year after that. Dunno really.

I'm currently working for John Lewis, not really sure what i'm gonna do long term, but for now the pay is good, the job's ok and the workmates are awesome.

I've had the obligatory paper round, worked in Woolworths (i feel your pain, Ashley) for nearly two years (or perhaps it was a hell of a lot less... Time flies when you're in hell), worked as an admin assistant in a doctor's surgery on/off for three years, and I spent summer painting. Not much of a track record but fairly varied.

I get the feeling I';ll need a job at some point this year but to be honest it's hard enough to feel motivated to brush my teeth, let alone leave the house and work with the public.

Jay, did you get paid awful for the paper round? And have to put leaflets in papers?

I work at Tesco, been working there for over a year now (got the fabled Priviledge Card!) and it's nice there. Everyone (well nearly everyone) is nice and friendly and I have a great boss who listens to me.

For your first day Dyson, just wear a nice bland shirt with your smart college trousers. Your "work sample" will most likely be checkouts so good luck with that, it's the easiest, but most tedious job ever.

Very few members have "carears".

I think mine could lead to something else. I'm learning SQL faster than a whore on crack.

I got that vibe when I went for the interview. All the people who were checking in or out seemed to be in a good mood and talkative so my local Tesco doesn't seem like an impossible place to work.

10% off eh? That's a lot for such a big store. Especially seeing as how you can spend a lot of money in any one sitting. You get clubcard points too right?

Unfortunately I'm going to have to wear jeans tomorrow but I'll find a decent, plain shirt to match.

I'm a statistician. I play with numbers until I can tell clients what they want to hear. I like my job; it's all about the atmosphere and the colleagues.

I'm thinking about setting up a business (archive peoples CDs for them) in my spare time.

I've had the obligatory paper round, worked in Woolworths (i feel your pain, Ashley) for nearly two years (or perhaps it was a hell of a lot less... Time flies when you're in hell), worked as an admin assistant in a doctor's surgery on/off for three years, and I spent summer painting. Not much of a track record but fairly varied.

Woolies sucks. Majorly. I worked in many of them. Think like...eight. Somewhere close to doubles.

I'm learning SQL faster than a whore on crack.

Its nice that they're teaching crack whores SQL. Nothing worse than a crack whore who doesn't have the basic IT skills to have a backup career.

10% off eh? That's a lot for such a big store. Especially seeing as how you can spend a lot of money in any one sitting. You get clubcard points too right?

You have to work there a year first.

But speaking of staff (theres a general "work sucks, but staff rock" vibe going on) theres only one staff member i like. the rest annoy me. and the temps that i've met seem like they won't do much to improve it.

may try and do an internship next summer (london would be dandy), work towards something actually career-ey.

Also, you play Xpert Eleven all day. :P

If only that were true. It's blocked at work except between 12pm and 2pm.

We all hammered it too much. :(

I'm an NC programmer for Fairfield Mabey, and everything is going good for me. I'm in the money and have plenty to do.

Only problem is it takes all my time up, but other than that its a great job.

I'm just about to apply for a part-time job at Marks and Sparks, and I currently (unofficially) work for my mother - she's a caretaker of a public hall, and I do the accounts and some shifting around of chairs and tables, and the like. It's easy (I can do it 3x the speed she can), and I get paid a ridiculous amount. :heh:

The only reason I'm applying for the M&S job (bar "more cash inflow") is that most shops (especially in Uni towns) require retail experience.

I work on an IT helpdesk, its alright wont be forever just to get some experience and save up some cash to bugger off round the world next year. Its a pretty small company so I do loads of stuff. For example today I made patch (network) cables. But other days I might be installing a server or fucking around with a customers Database etc etc. Should make the ole CV look good when I leave.

I got that vibe when I went for the interview. All the people who were checking in or out seemed to be in a good mood and talkative so my local Tesco doesn't seem like an impossible place to work.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to wear jeans tomorrow but I'll find a decent, plain shirt to match.

I get 25% off.

I get 25% off.

Pretty good, too bad John Lewis doesn't sell groceries.