NEurope
Ant-Shimmin

Things people like, but you can't quite understand

Sport, for most people I would say, isn't about the exercise. Rather, it's about meeting people, developing social skills, communication, leadership, teamwork and such like. It's about personal development. Playing videogames, in many ways, does the complete opposite. Most 'hardcore' gamers are social outcasts who, due to their choice of hobby, do not have the skills other people have developed through other activities such as sports. They become marginalised on the edge of society. This, in turn, leads to numerous social problems such as crime and poverty. Thus, attitudes such as those expressed in this thread are the root cause of the social ills that are hindering the progress of Britain in the 21st century.

if you play halo 3 you end up robbing?

Laffin!

id say that going out with your mates to partys and clubbin gains more social skills than playing a sport, but thats just me. And you can learn teamwork from working in a job, and team leading skills you can also get from a job.

But it is a ground shattering fact that playing an online video game with a joypad in your hands, sat on your ass does not involve more teamwork then physically competing in a sport as part of a team!

You ever tried raiding in WoW?

Religion, I've tried to get it, to understand it, but I just don't. I can't see the appeal anywhere. I've tried looking at it from the perspective of being 'freeing', I've tried the perspective of it being comforting, I've tried looking at it as an explanation to the unexplainable and I just don't get it. It doesn't add up.

Ant - do you have an issue with your personal image? I mean you keep mentioning getting fat and stuff.

I used to play football. A lot. Captained a couple of teams, won a couple of things, scored awesome goals from the halffway-line, etc etc. Teamwork is not easily measured, especially if you're comparing something you've experienced to something you haven't.

Also, you say sport is a part of culture - true. But not the only part. Certainly a very large one, but what you say about uniting the country - well it unites the people who likes sports :) Personally I don't like it when the football's on because if I want to walk down the road, the streets are full of people outside pubs blocking the way. It gets them together but it just gets in my way.

What about games like Chess? It's classed as a sport. No teamwork involved, no physcal exertion - just mental strength.

I think it's fairer, as someone said, to see this more as a 'brain vs brawn' debate. Some people prefer exercising their mind, some their muscle

As this topic title says - you don't like these things because you don't understand them. Surely you should respect other peoples explanations and opinions rather than defending your own as if it's the best possible way to live a life.

Anyway!

I don't know what things people like that I don't understand.

FPS, milk, watching most sports, soap operas, rap/hip-hop, make up, etc.

O.o milk?!?! Hahaha, how can you not understand milk :p

I'm not allowed milk because im on medication which milk affets =[ I love milk!

O.o milk?!?! Hahaha, how can you not understand milk :p

I'm not allowed milk because im on medication which milk affets =[ I love milk!

Download the thing in my sig and you'll see why. Plus it tastes revolting.

Mr. One: In my opinion orange juice offers all the same qualities as milk, if not better ones.

Ms. Two: How can you not like milk? Haha, look at my sig! hahahahaaaa

Mr.Two What, you removed it from my sig? Ya big loser!

Mrs. Three: I'd say orange juice is the bases of all of Britains problems

Mr. Four: I can understand people not liking cow's milk, but you must like some type of milk?

Sure I even know a guy who is a goat milk fanatic

Mr. One: I'm not going to say any moree on this topic

blah blahh blahhhhhhhhhhhh

I'd say orange juice is the bases of all of Britains problems

Good post, agree 100%

Mr. One: In my opinion orange juice offers all the same qualities as milk, if not better ones.

Ms. Two: How can you not like milk? Haha, look at my sig! hahahahaaaa

Mr.Two What, you removed it from my sig? Ya big loser!

Mrs. Three: I'd say orange juice is the bases of all of Britains problems

Mr. Four: I can understand people not liking cow's milk, but you must like some type of milk?

Sure I even know a guy who is a goat milk fanatic

Mr. One: I'm not going to say any moree on this topic

blah blahh blahhhhhhhhhhhh

What the hell ?? x 2

Tar the Sport concept with one bursh why don't you..

I'd much rather settle down watch/play and do anything regarding Football, than play Nintendo Games Worrying about whose going to be in the Next Brawl game while downloading Anime "Because It teaches us favuable life lessons, but thats not really the idea because I am going to crack one off over the woman with the big eyes"....

Staying in day after day getting bigger and bigger and not engage in any sort of Social Activity which doesn't revolve around a person from the other end of the globe.

People may not like Football, but who ever doesn't like sport really needs to take a long hard look at themselves...

...wow, read my post again, not once did I attack sport. I merely pointed out that the idea of most of society's problems being caused by those who dislike sport is clearly wrong - most people like sport, therefore most crimes will be committed by people who like sport. I didn't imply any kind of causation to this correlation.

And you still haven't answered my question - how do I degrade society by disliking sport?

(Incidentally, people were saying how chess was a sport, this would also make go a sport, so under this definition I do like a sport. However, I would disagree and say that board games are in no way sports.)

And you still haven't answered my question - how do I degrade society by disliking sport?

Sport, for most people I would say, isn't about the exercise. Rather, it's about meeting people, developing social skills, communication, leadership, teamwork and such like. It's about personal development. Playing videogames, in many ways, does the complete opposite. Most 'hardcore' gamers are social outcasts who, due to their choice of hobby, do not have the skills other people have developed through other activities such as sports. They become marginalised on the edge of society. This, in turn, leads to numerous social problems such as crime and poverty. Thus, attitudes such as those expressed in this thread are the root cause of the social ills that are hindering the progress of Britain in the 21st century.

Chess deffo isn't a sport btw

Hence the italicised "I"... you have no proof that I am "marginalised on the edge of society".

You are dividing people who like sports and people who dont, like one half is normal and one half is freaks

That's just the way he rolls.

To be honest, even us freaks enjoy the odd game of darts or pool, sorry if his over athletic sensibilities don't count those as sports.

That's just the way he rolls.

To be honest, even us freaks enjoy the odd game of darts or pool, sorry if his over athletic sensibilities don't count those as sports.

Well... they aren't. I mean, I also play those but I wouldn't really call them sports, just games. But I have a great deal of respect for games, electronic or otherwise.

Edit: I don't want anyone suggesting that by omission I have no respect for sports. I respect them, I just don't like playing them.

Well... they aren't. I mean, I also play those but I wouldn't really call them sports, just games. But I have a great deal of respect for games, electronic or otherwise.

If it's televised, it's a sport.

make up

Disgrace to your gender tbh.

Religion, I've tried to get it, to understand it, but I just don't. I can't see the appeal anywhere. I've tried looking at it from the perspective of being 'freeing', I've tried the perspective of it being comforting, I've tried looking at it as an explanation to the unexplainable and I just don't get it. It doesn't add up.

My thoughts exactly, I just didn't want to fit the stereotype of being the one who brings it up all the time. :indeed:

Disgrace to your gender tbh.

Not really. Make up is something people hide their face behind. If someone can't accept you without chemicals and such plastered over your body, then that person isn't worth it.

One reason not to wear make up ^^^

Well, it of course depends on your definition of the word.

And if we're going by the televised thing, then go is indeed a sport. As I said before, I prefer other definitions.

Not really. Make up is something people hide their face behind. If someone can't accept you without chemicals and such plastered over your body, then that person isn't worth it.

One reason not to wear make up ^^^

Do it for yourself, not for others.

Your choice if you don't want to look your best, but there isn't a person alive who wouldn't benefit from a bit of slap.

Do it for yourself, not for others.

Your choice if you don't want to look your best, but there isn't a person alive who wouldn't benefit from a bit of slap.

Are you suggesting that disfigured people should put paper bags over their heads for the benefit of others?